R1250RS brand new loan bike

10tenmen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My F900XR has developed a clutch problem it’s 6 months old and from cold it’s as is if it’s got kangaroo petrol, anyway I dropped it off Friday at the dealers and they gave me a brand new R1250RS for the duration or until I hit 500 miles, they will then send a van to collect and drop off another bike.
I can’t fault the service, my xr is having a new clutch fitted so could be 10 days or more.
It’s totally a different bike to my previous 1250GS it corners really nicely and has a smoother delivery than the Gs, all in all quite impressed.

Attachments

• 008E1416-D50C-4E81-8FBE-49B837AA9040.jpeg
    008E1416-D50C-4E81-8FBE-49B837AA9040.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,162
  • D3A24137-717B-4E74-82CB-D6D4E638918A.jpeg
    D3A24137-717B-4E74-82CB-D6D4E638918A.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • DC18199D-04AF-4D0B-B21E-A0AF1D42A304.jpeg
    DC18199D-04AF-4D0B-B21E-A0AF1D42A304.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,153
Good service but shame the new bike is already playing up.
It’s been perfect whilst I was recovering from illness a lot lighter and is good fun to ride, I’m afraid this is a growing issue with the clutch fitted to several models, luckily I had fitted the Innovv K3 camera so caught the problem on film.
BMW informed me that they will be fitting the 850gs clutch although it’s on back order.
I agree Arsey it’s not good on a new model but from what I have gleaned it fixes the issue.
I do like the RS though lol.

I am an RS owner, so biased, obviously.

Everyone considering a GS should take an RS of the same age for a spin. They might find the RS is actually a better bike for their needs.

I have ridden several GS variants as service loan bikes since owning my RS. None have convinced me I am riding the wrong boxer.

Everyone considering a GS should take an RS of the same age for a spin. They might find the RS is actually a better bike for their needs.

I have ridden several GS variants as service loan bikes since owning my RS. None have convinced me I am riding the wrong boxer.
Wessie what have you added to your RS such as screen hugger etc. Thanks.

Wessie what have you added to your RS such as screen hugger etc. Thanks.

I have a 2016 R1200RS
I use a Puig spoiler on the standard screen
I have added a 12V cig socket to the bars
I removed the satnav cradle as I use a Zumo 390 powered off the cig socket
As with most bikes, I have lowered the pegs due to past knee injuries
Raised the bars 25mm as I have short arms and found I was lying on the tank bag
Givi monokey luggage rather than OE as I already have several boxes. My preference is 45 litre topbox with E21 side cases as the bike remains narrow
Givi tanklock ring
Grip puppies to increase diameter for ageing finger joints - again, done all bikes since 2011
Barkbuster Storm handguards so I can use my Tucano bar muffs in winter
Puig hugger

It’s not got 160bhp and no telelever , are you mad !? :p

Like Wessie I have a r1200rs and tweaked it a little with bar raiser / lower foot pegs moved the satnav up above the dials and a higher screen. Its a perfect sports touring bike in my humble opinion

After owning lots of ADV bikes, including a couple of GS’s, I decided I would like an RS, I took a 1250 for a test ride, and found it a little cramped. I was gutted as I’d set my heart on it. Shortly after I saw a decent spec/price 1200RT for sale and after a short test ride, bought it, probably on the rebound. It’s slightly less cramped, and I’m warming to it, though it’s not as visceral as the RS. Odd thing is, I’ve seen lots of reviews tests etc which describe the RT as a sports tourer. From the first RS/RT models, I always understood the RS was the ‘sports’ version, and the RT was the ‘touring’ version. Now it appears they are both ‘sports tourers’!

Ive got to say, I do quite fancy an RS. The two bikes I've got are just no good for pillions and I do quite fancy getting back into a bit of touring. I'm just not quite old enough for an RT yet ..... :D

After owning lots of ADV bikes, including a couple of GS’s, I decided I would like an RS, I took a 1250 for a test ride, and found it a little cramped. I was gutted as I’d set my heart on it. Shortly after I saw a decent spec/price 1200RT for sale and after a short test ride, bought it, probably on the rebound. It’s slightly less cramped, and I’m warming to it, though it’s not as visceral as the RS. Odd thing is, I’ve seen lots of reviews tests etc which describe the RT as a sports tourer. From the first RS/RT models, I always understood the RS was the ‘sports’ version, and the RT was the ‘touring’ version. Now it appears they are both ‘sports tourers’!

in standard trim the RS is a sportyish crouch which is why many of the riders, mostly boomers, make ergonomic adjustments by raising the bars and lowering the pegs. You have all of the benefits of conventional suspension, less weight, a lower centre of gravity and less width which leads to a much more nimble bike, but a more relaxed riding position to move the bike further towards the touring end of the spectrum.

Ive got to say, I do quite fancy an RS. The two bikes I've got are just no good for pillions and I do quite fancy getting back into a bit of touring. I'm just not quite old enough for an RT yet ..... :D

I'm quite young, at 58, for an RS rider. You would fit right in as a pensioner.

I’m younger than you you old fucker !!!

They are nice bikes, good engines and chassis setup.

Potential negatives I would be exploring if I were looking to own one would be
how to stop your lower legs getting covered in muck at the slightest dampness on the surface
Wind protection from the screen. Can be noisy at higher speeds, and no alternative currently avail from BMW. After markets are avail.
All day comfort; does it suit?

Now get back to that retirement!

Totally agree. That is the reason that I bought a new 1250RS back in September. The girlfriend, on the other hand, collected a new S1000XR last Saturday.

They are nice bikes, good engines and chassis setup.

Potential negatives I would be exploring if I were looking to own one would be
how to stop your lower legs getting covered in muck at the slightest dampness on the surface
Wind protection from the screen. Can be noisy at higher speeds, and no alternative currently avail from BMW. After markets are avail.
All day comfort; does it suit?

Now get back to that retirement!

Wind protection is perfect with the standard screen in the low position. If you move it to the high position then you get buffeting around the helmet. A bigger aftermarket screen would have you looking through it, I'll leave that to the RT boys.
I no longer live in the UK so am not worried about dampness, although it rained here a couple of weeks ago.

Can't be bothered, but a standard 1250GS has the same power as a standard 1250RS.

And for me the Gs is a better bike , had an RS for a day and just could not get on with it over the twisty B roads , main roads were fine . All different but for me the Gs is far better and more compliant in all situations ( plus it looks better ) lol
We are different tho , still a good bike if it suits you.

Back
Top Bottom