Fitting BMW windshield to a g/s

oldnfat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have acquired another g/s and want to fit the BMW windshield from a GS (the solid plastic one) that fits onto the front part of the headlight housing. To do this I need to drill 4 holes in the housing and seem to recall from years ago that there was a template for such a thing.

Long-shot I know but does anyone have access to one or know where I could get such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

Long-shot I know but does anyone have access to one or know where I could get such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

Before you take a drill to yours, I have a headlight housing that has holes drilled in it possibly for a windshield, if they are in the right place do you want to swap ?

Thanks very much for the offer...that could be a plan...should be two holes on the left, one lower right and one in front of the speedo as I recall. What colour is yours...black would be good!

Cheers

Just have a look on the inside, if it’s a replacement shell, the holes will me marked in the plastic. If it’s OEM no such luck.

If you dont want to drill the headlamp housing it is possible to fit them with a a pair of headlight brackets and a Y shaped flat plate bracket up to the screen.
The Givi A210 screen Is fitted that way and will give you an idea of what is required.
From memory if you do need to drill the housing the position of the top RH fixing is pretty fixed and it sets the position of the others.

Thanks Beemerboff, I have now taken the plunge and drilled the housing and got the windshield on and all good. As you suggest the place to start is the top RH fixing which is on the front of the headlight cowl above the housing.

For those of you wanting to do this, the problem is here is no way to mark the drill point and the is no indication on the inside of the cowl. To overcome this I put double sides sticky tape on headlight cowl where the mounting points were likely to be and “stuck” the wind shield in place to get the perfect positioning. Before doing this I put a thin ring of blue tack around the mounting point for the upper RH bolt which stuck to the tape on the headlight housing. I used this as my guide for the first hole and drilled. I replaced the windshield back on the headlight cowl. Fixed it using the upper RH bolt and the sticky tape for the other areas and marked there holes.

The bolts for the fixing kit are 5mm but I drilled 6mm to give me some wriggle room (which was needed). Drilled, bolted and hey presto done.

Thanks for all who replied....I love this forum...always people happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom