How to fix heavy throttle?

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an 05 GSA and an 03 GS. The GSA has a nicely weighted throttle and I can fully open the throttle without having to shift my hand position. The GS has a heavier throttle which is less pleasant to use and to go from fully close to fully open I have to reposition my hand, because the throttle ‘pull’ appears to be longer. This makes a huge difference in how the two bikes feel when I’m riding them and I’d really like to get the GS to feel just like the GSA.

Does anyone know which bits I’d need to change to do this?

Have you tried adjusting the free play at the cable adjuster at the throttle grip ? -

The free play at the grip is about 2mm and the throttle snaps back shut super fast when it’s released so I don’t think the cables are tired or dragging. I think I might need to do some parts catalogue research to see if anything changed between GS and GSA and 03 to 05. It’s probably something you wouldn’t notice unless you rode both bikes back to back, but the 05 GSA is much nicer to ride simply because of how the throttle feels.

If the throttle snaps back shut super fast when it’s released then has someone fitted valve springs instead of the normal return springs?

New cables, as JB said....makes all the difference, was like a new bike after changing em.....:thumby:

When I replaced the cables on mine and dug out the junction box - it was so caked in sh*te I was amazed the throttle worked at all!

Once cleaned and new cables fitted ‘it was like a different bike’ as the saying goes...

Edit - actually of memory serves - they did update the design of where the throttle cable exits the handlebar mounting. Not sure if that makes a difference to the feel or not, but I remember having to use the updated version when I replaced my cables.

When I replaced the cables on mine and dug out the junction box - it was so caked in sh*te I was amazed the throttle worked at all!

Once cleaned and new cables fitted ‘it was like a different bike’ as the saying goes...

Edit - actually of memory serves - they did update the design of where the throttle cable exits the handlebar mounting. Not sure if that makes a difference to the feel or not, but I remember having to use the updated version when I replaced my cables.

I used the modified cables on mine as well changed at about 40,000 miles made a world of difference. Still seems pretty light at 71,000 miles.

Hi
I'm just about to replace my throttle cables. Any suggestions which ones to use / avoid ?
Many thanks ! :nenau

Is handgrip free and not rubbing against cable cover or waight ends?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

New cables made a great improvement to the throttle action - and to throttle balance too..
The upper cable seemed in good condition. I might have got away with just the lower pair and a clean-up of the junction box.

Sherlocks supplied the parts but other suppliers are available - motorworks, motobins.
Warning: There's a little ball bearing in the enrichment lever mechanism. Keep yer eyes peeled and the floor clean.

Thanks for all the suggestions gents. Apologies for not replying sooner, been tinkering with my airhead ��

Sherlocks supplied the parts but other suppliers are available - motorworks, motobins.
Warning: There's a little ball bearing in the enrichment lever mechanism. Keep yer eyes peeled and the floor clean.
Of course I should have said “fast idle” lever. Too busy avoiding the word “choke”.
Also .. maybe some grease needed on throttle tube.

Back
Top Bottom