Snowdonia from London, quick jaunt, three days.

I am not sure that the link to your tracks works.

The website freezes on my iPad, a quarter of the way through loading.

I've been to Wales a couple of times before (I lived in the UK 14 years now)....
I have lived in the UK all my life. I have never been to Wales on my motorcycle and only occasionally by any other means. There again, I have never been to York, nor Hartlepool, nor indeed, Hastings.

I've never been to Blackpool too. :idea

For the GPX: that's weird, it seems to be working here. It shouldn't load anything, just download the file after you click the link.
I cannot edit the post, try that again or download from here.

Odd, the link in post #20 freezes a quarter of the way through opening up the website. The link in post #23 results in a 403 error message ‘access denied’.

All via a usually very reliable iPad Pro.

Try again. Fixed the URL on post #23.

The issue (at least post 20) is not your iPad, but misconfiguration on my web server.
I think it is trying to "serve" (as a page) the gpx file to your iPad instead of letting it download it. The joys of self hosting on AWS :D

Thank you.

Ora funziona!

8e1e47ce083e81c602b33644f37e2e90.png

I have lived in the UK all my life. I have never been to Wales on my motorcycle and only occasionally by any other means..

There is a few of us around here that can show you some stunning routes. You might even get the Janitor out :thumby:

If you return there is a cracking mountain circuit to be had between Lake Bala and Lake Vyrnwy. Give it a morning and stop for coffee at the dam at Vyrnwy.
It takes in the highest pass in Snowdonia - Blwch Y Groes.
https://goo.gl/maps/17ZAF32Mc8jzFZav5

If you return there is a cracking mountain circuit to be had between Lake Bala and Lake Vyrnwy. Give it a morning and stop for coffee at the dam at Vyrnwy.

We did the road at the end of Lake Vyrnwy to Bala for the first time on Friday, great road, not very wide, so glad it was quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16d6654a34b2ca9d2ca92339bc94d4f3.jpg

Love those single track mountain roads.

Looks like you had a fantastic time, My wife and I are looking at South Wales later in the year :cool:

There’s nothing to see here baaaaaar sheep, honestly. :D

Beacons roads start 5 min from my door, and I make the most of them. Some great 90 milers for an evening ride after work.

But……Spring……these feckin sheep! The farmers seem to care less about them than they ever did, just last week four in one go were killed, including lambs, as they were startled and ran into the road outside my local Tesco. The poor young lady driver was inconsolable, holding the dying lamb and sobbing. We’re used to the Spring madness when the common land animals go searching the lush verges and so on for their newborns…..but it’s getting ridiculous now. More uncared for horses, and wild grazed cattle as well as sheep everywhere. Rare breeds as well….my wife ended up with torn trousers and gashed leg after accidentally coming between a cow (highland Type with full horns) and her hidden calves (asleep in a hollow out of view) on a common road on Saturday. The beast charged her and she had to escape over a barbed wire fence…….all within walking distance from our house.
Enjoy the roads by all means but watch out for the shit on the corners and animals with their young if you stop and wander off for a pee…..it’s like the Wild West mun!

Somewhere from these pages (I think) I tripped over a link to a nice wee Snowdonia map - so I ordered one.

A nice man sent me 2 for some reason so if anyone wants one, please shout and I’ll send it on. For a charity donation at your end.

Attachments

• 25B335AF-AD55-4940-94B5-21E4A193CA09.jpg
    25B335AF-AD55-4940-94B5-21E4A193CA09.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 173
Yes, please.

You can’t have enough maps.

Name your charity or would you like me to chose one?

Richard

There's also the back route of Bala, leading around onto some great B road/green lanes up the mountains then you could head up to Snowdonia and Conwy and enjoy some off road, lots of great roads and green lanes to be had north wales

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Pretty much inspired by this thread I recently took advantage of the good weather and did my first ever tour of Wales. It was fantastic. I don't have a pic account so can't post them on here but if you're interested you can read about the short trip here (with plenty of pics) ...

https://sdtravelogue.blogspot.com/2021/07/wales-whistlestop-tour-july-2021.html

I particularly liked the area around Aberystwyth/Devil's Bridge as it came as a recommendation while I was on the road and hadn't planned for it. I can say though that the quality of the roads completely exceeded my expectations and I'm already planning a return trip. In no particular order my trip highlights were:

1. The run from Aberystwyth to Devil's Bridge (A4120) and on to Cmystwyth on the B4574
2. The Elan Valley and Pont ar Elan on the National Cycle Route 81
3. The Aberystwyth seafront
4. Crossgates to Newtown on the A483
5. Cresting the hill on the B4560 north of Ebbw Vale (welcome to Wales)
6. The A4069 Black Mountain road in the Beacons
7. Early morning ride up to Bala on the A494 from Dolgellau
8. Moorland road B4391 to Ffestiniog
9. B4391 from Bala to Pencraig
10. The countryside around Snowdonia

Next time I will do a little more riding around Snowdonia (take in Llanberis and Caernarfon and get into the roads between Betwys-Y-Coed and Denbigh) and do a bit more of the Beacons. I'm a big fan of the Vosges in France but for me the riding in Wales is quite a bit better ... and it's a far cheaper too: I reckon I could get 2 full days out of the price of a summer return Chunnel ticket. Always a bonus. I'm keeping a keen eye on the forecast.

Back
Top Bottom