Black Forest, Alsace and Vosges

Wapping

Reaction score
Motorrad Strassen has a ‘special’ on the Black Forest, Alsace and the Vosges, three popular enough destinations.

eaa12b1a7f0abdc72366d44330e1b0f9.png

As a bonus, the eight suggested jaunts are all downloadable as GPS routes via Kurviger for free. It’s so simple, even a German can do it. That the ‘special’ also includes suggestions on those all important ‘biker friendly’ hotels, will be of immense comfort to some. Do though be sure to tell us if you come across any hoteliers who throw stones at you, when you roll up on your awesome steed.

How do I find the tourcode, mate?

a193f10fb4bf6aafaee0b48bc5ac8930.png

Got a link to Kurviger, mate?

https://kurviger.de/en

How do I put the tourcode in, mate?

You’ll work it out.

Instant holidays or at least some requiring very little effort at all. You could even ask Kurviger to give you a great, no motorways, twisties only, route from your front door to the biker friendly hotel(s) and back home again.

177adf09e44f0f1da8cf2eabda807e28.png

912c4fb02ed98c6c76ead01cdd11673d.png

6491faab27b4e6d33ba039def6767421.png

3d3c05f45133a81ccf7ad492e35dbd4c.png

9ec1c4ad02e67368db3863150686276b.png

1e6c1e5a5d3b498fbbf7148c91ff0959.png

b33a2477fb8916b0e300437ddfff445c.png

PS The screenshots of the maps are probably good enough to zoom in on and use to create your own (non-gps) version, the old school way, by crayoning in on a map.

I went there in 2019.... very disappointed - towns busy, staff in restaurants miserable - landscape hampered by industry along rivers, too many tourists.

And the fact so many places would not accept cards... wanted cash only was a faff...

Much prefer the Pyrenees.... will not be going back....

I went to Lancashire once. It was much the same (though the industry had gone, of course) and it rained.

Thanks Wappers .... lovely area :thumby:

I'll be heading down that way as soon as possible, via the Ardennes, der Eiffel und der Pfälzer Wald :D

:beerjug:

I went there in 2019.... very disappointed

When did you go Twizz?

I'd certainly try to avoid the place in June, July and August ... much as I do the 'tourist' spots anywhere else!

As pointed out to bods who ask for great routes in the Black Forest, it’s a huge area of around 6,000 sq km. That’s roughly half the size of Yorkshire or four times the area of London. It can’t all be packed out, shite and devoid of credit card machines.

As pointed out to bods who ask for great routes in the Black Forest, it’s a huge area of around 6,000 sq km. That’s roughly half the size of Yorkshire or four times the area of London. It can’t all be packed out, shite and devoid of credit card machines.

As always avoid the main drags and find the backroads
Plenty of good spots
Cash used to be king in Germany

As always avoid the main drags and find the backroads ....

Advice that can (and often does) apply anywhere.

I first rode the B500 in the late 70’s or early 80’s, before it started to appear in every British bike magazine as a ‘Must do’ route. I even quite enjoy it now, simply as a road to go from A to B, pootling along at somewhere between 60 and 70 mph. The area though is so big that you don’t even need to touch the road or, if you do, just take short stretches of it.

The thing I like about the map drawing in this example:

177adf09e44f0f1da8cf2eabda807e28.png

Is that you can see very quickly you you can join places up, it not being compulsory to ride any of the standalone routes as they are only suggestions. For example, joining Saverne (NW corner) to Mulhouse (SW) to Rheinfelden (S) to Tuttlingen (SE) to Pforzheim (NE) would be quite easy and quite a long way.

They speak foreign in all those places, you won't get a fry up in the morning either and unlike the Spanish they don't even have Only Fools running on a constant loop in all the bars.

Best everyone rides up and down the Cat and Fiddle instead, you can get some decent bacon and eggs around there.

Done a few of the roads in map areas 5, 6, 7 and 8.
My favourite by far was the Vosges (7), I found it was something nice, simple and relaxing about riding along the hill tops with fine views. :rob

The whole vast area has its merits. Big hill top views, dark bumpy forest roads, big open sweepers, quiet ‘country roads’ sometimes not much wider than a tractor, ‘technical’ roads where something can jump out and bite you. It’s got the lot..... and it’s just scratching the surface of Germany and, indeed, France.... and it ain’t the Alps.

Cheers Wapping.
A very nice place to visit. I will be going back at some point.

It was August, and we were in the area under tour 8.....

Shame as I was quite excited about going..

When did you go Twizz?

I'd certainly try to avoid the place in June, July and August ... much as I do the 'tourist' spots anywhere else!

I went there in 2019.... very disappointed - towns busy, staff in restaurants miserable - landscape hampered by industry along rivers, too many tourists.

And the fact so many places would not accept cards... wanted cash only was a faff...

Much prefer the Pyrenees.... will not be going back....

I was in a restaurant in Munster a few years ago when unfortunately some English bikers came in. After that it wasn't only the staff who were miserable, it was everyone else who was in earshot which was most of the town! The more the English avoid the region the better :thumb

It isn’t all trees....

b4a373df70c28dc898d76d9d0d1acaf0.png

That view looks very familiar. We were there on a “Wapping’s Wander” in the Black Forest. It was the wine harvest and the smell of wine juice in the air was overpowering

Back
Top Bottom