Aberdeen

Mongoose

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picking up a new bike next weekend, which means a trip up to Aberdeen on the train. I’m arriving at around 3 ish and have an afternoon to fill before getting the train to Insch the following day.

Anything really worth seeing in Aberdeen? I’ll be on foot. I’ve then got a lovely 335 mile ride back through some apparently lovely countryside. I just hope I can find somewhere open for lunch, Ive never been a fan of garage butties!

Have you booked a seat on the train? Make sure you get the seaward side - it's a very nice journey on that side, otherwise a bit dull.

Not that much to see in Aberdeen as you really need a car.
One place I would recommend is the Maritime Museum (public places reopen on the 26th, so you should be OK).
You'll not have any trouble getting stuff to eat. Restaurants and pubs will be open (outside alcohol only).
Where are you staying in Aberdeen?

If the weather is decent, I would dump my gear at the hotel then head back down the line to Stonehaven (10 mins from Aberdeen) and have a walk down to the harbour and then to Dunnottar Castle, which are both very nice.

Yes I'd go for the Maritime Museum too. Good model of Murchison platform (been there a few times) kindly donated by Conoco.

Take a wander down to the beach front, walk around Fittie or Footdea, harbour worth a look then wander north along the beach and cut back into old Aberdeen

Cheers chaps. Some useful suggestions there. Staying at Jury's Inn. A first class ticket was only £99 from Preston, so if I can find a decent curry, it'll have been a decent day all round

Sent from Lancashire, God's own county.

Cheers chaps. Some useful suggestions there. Staying at Jury's Inn. A first class ticket was only £99 from Preston, so if I can find a decent curry, it'll have been a decent day all round

a few of us traveling back from camping in bonnie scotland next weekend.keep an eye out we pass preston om our way back.

a few of us traveling back from camping in bonnie scotland next weekend.keep an eye out we pass preston om our way back.
I'll be travelling back Saturday, southbound via the M6. White bike, fluoro yelllow helmet. Give us a wave as you go screaming by!

I understood the Jewel had fallen foul of using unregistered staff a couple of times. I can't remember its name but the one upstairs at the bottom of Bridge street is pretty good.

I understood the Jewel had fallen foul of using unregistered staff a couple of times. I can't remember its name but the one upstairs at the bottom of Bridge street is pretty good.
Nazma?
That was also very good back in the day, not sure now as not been for years

Back
Top Bottom