GS is still the best !

Boxerlust

Reaction score
Latest issue of MOTORRAD...1250GS vs MS V4 vs 2021 1290 SADV-S...The GS is still the best..Most Torque so it is the fastest/strongest up to 7500 rpm/100 mph and does not to be shifted down to fire out of slower turns..,Especially compared to the KTM that does not like low rpm/higher gear scenarios...The Ducati uses 2 liters more every 100 kilometers...Not good especially with petrol as expensive as it is...4 bucks a gallon even here in CA...:eek:No shaft,no Telelever,not as quick steering as the GS...The King still rules :bow except on his own Autobahn...;)
Hopefully the next generation GS takes care of this problem with even more TORQUE and a little kick on the top-end as also a slightly bigger 24 liter tank and 2 bags with the same interior volume ! That would make it perfect in my book...Too bad that Arsey does not have a MOTORRAD subscription as he would be able to scan the whole article in...:D

1400 with 160hp/NM :thumby:
Their 1800 big boxer has already 160 NM but only 90 hp...;)

Fcuk me.....here we go again. It’s a 180hp Groundhog Day!!

Having owned a 1290 and currently a 1250, I’d say the 1250 does have more torque but only fractionally, whereas the KTM has significantly more top end. It’s also easy to change the gearing on the KTM if you want to increase the punch low down though I didn’t feel the need.
Never ridden the V4 Multi so can’t comment, though have owned the previous Multi.

Both the GS and the KTM are great bikes and the differences are minimal and not worth droning on about incessantly. I’d happily own either and take them round Europe and do big miles. The GS is slightly comfier and edges it in mid range. KTM is more economical but not by much.

My comments are based on real life ownership not a magazine road test having done 20,000 miles on the old V2 Multi, 20,000 miles on the KTM but only 5,000 miles to date on the GS.

Best thing BMW could do with the GS is make it lighter, yes a bit more top end would be nice as well.

Handling, well I resprung the KTM and have fitted Touratech/Tractive suspension to the GS, again sprung to my weight and they are both equally good.

Overall I’d score the GS 9.5, the KTM 9 and the older Ducati 8 so IMHO the GS wins but only just. Both great bikes. The Ducati lagged slightly behind, and I’ve owned loads of Ducati’s and KTM’s. The V4 Multi doesn’t appeal but I’d still like to try one just to see.

Having owned a 1290 and currently a 1250, I’d say the 1250 does have more torque but only fractionally, whereas the KTM has significantly more top end. It’s also easy to change the gearing on the KTM if you want to increase the punch low down though I didn’t feel the need.
Never ridden the V4 Multi so can’t comment, though have owned the previous Multi.

Both the GS and the KTM are great bikes and the differences are minimal and not worth droning on about incessantly. I’d happily own either and take them round Europe and do big miles. The GS is slightly comfier and edges it in mid range. KTM is more economical but not by much.

My comments are based on real life ownership not a magazine road test having done 20,000 miles on the old V2 Multi, 20,000 miles on the KTM but only 5,000 miles to date on the GS.

Best thing BMW could do with the GS is make it lighter, yes a bit more top end would be nice as well.

Handling, well I resprung the KTM and have fitted Touratech/Tractive suspension to the GS, again sprung to my weight and they are both equally good.

Overall I’d score the GS 9.5, the KTM 9 and the older Ducati 8 so IMHO the GS wins but only just. Both great bikes. The Ducati lagged slightly behind, and I’ve owned loads of Ducati’s and KTM’s. The V4 Multi doesn’t appeal but I’d still like to try one just to see.

That’s why the GS is the world’s best selling Adv bike

4 dollars a gallon, wow that’s expensive

Especially when it’s not even a proper gallon.

Latest issue of MOTORRAD...1250GS vs MS V4 vs 2021 1290 SADV-S...The GS is still the best..Most Torque so it is the fastest/strongest up to 7500 rpm/100 mph and does not to be shifted down to fire out of slower turns..,Especially compared to the KTM that does not like low rpm/higher gear scenarios...The Ducati uses 2 liters more every 100 kilometers...Not good especially with petrol as expensive as it is...4 bucks a gallon even here in CA...:eek:No shaft,no Telelever,not as quick steering as the GS...The King still rules :bow except on his own Autobahn...;)
Hopefully the next generation GS takes care of this problem with even more TORQUE and a little kick on the top-end as also a slightly bigger 24 liter tank and 2 bags with the same interior volume ! That would make it perfect in my book...Too bad that Arsey does not have a MOTORRAD subscription as he would be able to scan the whole article in...:D

What you fail to tell us, Mr.Boxerlust, is just how close the victory was. Out of 1,000 points on offer (yes, very Germanic) the BMW scored 763, the Ducati 755 and the KTM 740. Not exactly overwhelming, is it? BTW, these are extremely good scores - with only the best machines reaching much over 700.
For those of us with the cojones to take advantage of the top end rush (not me), the Ducati and the KTM make wonderful alternatives to the BMW.

After owning the GSa/GS 1200 in numerous guises and a 1250GS Exclusive,dont ever think the GS is quicker than the new 1290S.The KTM is a ballastic missile but also happy in 5th in a 30mph.Go ride the new KTM and come back.

I'm with you BDG...They are all good bikes and except for the kick on the top (and like I said small things like a 24 liter tank and 2 boxes with the same interior volume) the GS is pretty close to the perfect bike for the Road.That why it outsells the competition by such a huge margin.If KTM or Ducati really want to get serious about dethroning the King they have to put shaft-drive and a Telelever like front suspension on their bikes.Much harder to do than for BMW to give it more top-end power to make the boxer perfect...That is how I see it.I myself might trade my 19 HP for a 21 GSA Rallye before the all new generation comes because the 20 liter is a little on the small size...And yes 4 bucks for 3,85 liters is way too expensive.2 liters more on 100 kilometers like the V4 Ducati guzzles and then only 21 liter tank size is definitely not good.For that reason alone my second choice would be the KTM...ready to race or NOT :D

I don't know why everybody says that Audi owns Ducati...in reality it is Volkswagen that owns all brands of the Volkswagen group including Audi & Ducati...
As for the KTM being a "ballistic missile" I won't agree...The KTM being a little south , the Ducati a little north of 10 seconds 0-125 any 1000 cc superbike will shave 3 seconds off that time...The bike being the closest to compare to the GS,MS,SADVS the S1000XR will split it with 8,5 seconds 0-125 putting 21 hp more than the KTM and 14 hp more than the Duc on the same dyno...Too bad the XR was excluded from this comparison by MOTORRAD.

I don't know why everybody says that Audi owns Ducati...in reality it is Volkswagen that owns all brands of the Volkswagen group including Audi & Ducati...
As for the KTM being a "ballistic missile" I won't agree...The KTM being a little south , the Ducati a little north of 10 seconds 0-125 any 1000 cc superbike will shave 3 seconds off that time...The bike being the closest to compare to the GS,MS,SADVS the S1000XR will split it with 8,5 seconds 0-125 putting 21 hp more than the KTM and 14 hp more than the Duc on the same dyno...Too bad the XR was excluded from this comparison by MOTORRAD.

Yawn.

Audi has a history with motorcycles or more precisely motorcycle manufactures that predates Ducati by decades. They merged with NSU Motorenwerke in 1969.

The Volkwagen Group is massive and include car brands like, Audi, Porsche, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Scania, MAN and other manufacturing plants. The success of the brand is down to an Englishman called Maj. Ivan Hirst that, post war, recognised the potential of the VW Beetle that was ironically the brainchild of Adolf Hitler. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom