GS is still the best !

I prefer the Hayes , no fade when constant on the brakes , linear feel , perfect.

I possibly don't ride the brakes as hard as you, but I've never noticed any issues with the Hayes on my 1250, even with the wife and fully loaded with luggage.

My tuppence worth would be that the Hayes feel stronger but quite wooden, especially when reducing to a stop. Yes, I know that the work here should be mainly by the back brakes, but there are times such as when approaching lights that you need front brake, and I still haven't got the feel of them to always bring me to a cool looking halt.

Odd though that there's Brembos on the Canadian model - something to do with the US Haynes recall?

The Hayes brakes on all 1250GS got recalled and replaced by Brembos...I don't know if this is good or bad because I like the short/hard pull on the Hayes but have not had mine changed.
As for Sticks rideup/writeup on the 1290 S I had the same experience.Yes the engine has 20 hp more (the 1290SD almost 50 hp more) than a 1250GS but at least on the SDR the hp is useless because accelerating between 7-9500 rpm WFO in the gears 3 & 4 all the bike will do is wheelie and then slam you into the tank because of no overrev/fuel cutoff...Not good.A S1000R/XR/RR is faster and the power USEABLE because it comes on smoother/more CONTROLLABLE...
As for Anti-Dive on electronic forks trying to mimic Telelever of course it does not work because all the fork will do is close the valves on the brakes and turn into a pogo stick...Not good.Also in the twisties the GS is much quicker steering than the KTM.I hope the next GS will get 160-170 hp and 150 nm TORQUE and be able to run 155 mph with bags and accelerate sub 10 seconds 0-125 mph and be still the handler in the twisties...That would be the answer to all prayers :thumb R1350GS sounds good to me but my guess would be for 2023 to celebrate 100 years of BMW Motorrad !
I hope there also will be a R1350S as good looking and versatile as the R1100S was to attract fresh blood and throw us loyal dogs a new bone...A less extreme sportbike for the Road but also capable for the occasional trackday like the origional was a good 20 years ago...While we are still young enough :thumb2

I also find the reach on the front brake a little too long, despite having average (L) size hands and having the lever adjuster set. Is there anything else I can do to tweak?

Yofi I have the BMW HP levers on my bike.They are made by Gilles Tooling and look/feel better than the stock ones made from chinese pot metal...;)

I'm none too bothered about the looks, but in what why do they feel better can I ask? Crucially, do they have shorter reach?

Yes how they are formed and can be adjusted closer than stock and still enough room not to pinch your fingers...A good looking and better performing product ! They are black and have some silver machined holes and the adjuster is blue...Nice touches that look good on your T-B :thumb2

Oh dear, the wallet may have to take another hit then. See what the dealer says tmo.

They are worth it ! Looks,feel&function come together ;) How they are formed you can set them closer to the grip without pinching your fingers if you are a 2-finger braker...The mirrors and valvecovers in the same CNC design look good but are only stylish and over the top on a GS...IMHO But it's only money you can't take with you anyways when you die ! So who cares...:D

1e0f129edcb7928f5a503aff87b5afa0.jpg

This is just pathetic.

KTM marks the picture with 'Ready to Race'.

Then they show a picture of a guy on the bike that drives with such a slow cornering speed that he has to stretch his ass off and he still can not reach the ground with his knee-pucks...

I fail to see how this add will appeal to anyone but brainless morons...

This is just pathetic.

Then they show a picture of a guy on the bike that drives with such a slow cornering speed that he has to stretch his ass off and he still can not reach the ground with his knee-pucks...

I fail to see how this add will appeal you brainless moron (FIXED)...

See post 351 for the named.......

This is just pathetic.

I fail to see how this add will appeal to anyone but brainless morons...

Just a wild guess, but you may not be the target market for this ad or type of bike !

No naked bike is "ready to race" ! For obvious reasons...The upright seating position lack of wind protection work against hard acceleration or fast turns because of lack of weight over the front and everything above 100 mph becomes hard work and induces instability because you have to hold yourself on the handlebar...Even on the street these naked bikes are useless because they lack hard luggage or centerstand which is especially a pain if you have a chain..."ready to race" Only for clueless idiots or magazine scribes who need to write nice stuff for advertisement money...Paid whores :D
Wonder why KTM does not offer a RC8 with a V2 anymore...That bike was actually pretty comfortable for a sport-bike and more unique than the V4 stuff of today.I guess it is a missed opportunity like BMW not having a modern version of the R1100S with a 1350cc 165hp/155nm LC shiftcam boxer :thumby:
As also a 1350 GS with lower handlebar and 17" wheels for GS riders who always stay on the tarmac and like to do the occasional track-day as a R1350XR or M1350GS :thumby:

Here we go knutk, maybe this is more ‘you’ ! :))

Well, thank you, I do appreciate your concern, and I'm sure it's a great bike to those that want one. :okay

However, I must admit that my desire or need for one is probably equal to a hookers need and desire for chlamydia :aidan

I have to add that the 1290 SD-RR was sold out to the more money than sense crowd within 48 minutes...I guess they will we shocked when they get passed on the next trackday that their steed is not ready to race and will probably sue KTM for false advertisement...:D
And if JeremyMcWilliams had any sense he would tell KTM to stop that nonsense and design a real frame that does not feel like a bicycle at low speeds to turn canoe stiff above 60 mph and put some decent clip-ons and fairing on the bike to actually put the 180 hp to better use than only pull a few wheelies to impress a few 6th form girls or pimply teenage or clueless journos...;)
While we wait another 2 years for the R1350XR & R1350S :thumb

Back
Top Bottom