GS is still the best !

Once again, owned by Bauer Media, a German group. There isn't gonna be another conclusion from Bauer Media. And I take a journalists opinion with a pinch of salt. The latest and greatest is always the best which it is not. Much like sperm count and dick size. One is getting less and the other is shrinking.

The GS is not a particular brilliant bike. It is just a good allrounder. That is it. Once you have one in the garage it is the default bike to ride and any other potential bike purchase will be judged against it or the ownership experience which in my case is very good support from my local. Should I care about the crap that is spouted on these pages. No, not really. It is my life experience, not yours, that lead me to the purchase that I made. Listen to advice but take note of who is giving it I say. BTW the best GS is a GSA.

And while we are on the subject, anyone that says that he bought it for commuting is talking nonsense. We all know the RT is the best commuter bike money can buy. Try telling that to the T-Max owners.

The GS is a brilliant bike, the evidence is in the sales figures.

But.....But.....

Sales figures dont mean the GS is a brilliant bike does it? It's just confirmation of a well oiled marketing machine. Remember Ratner jewlers by any chance

That and the aforementioned tunnel vision of current owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda makes brilliant bikes. The evidence is in the sales figures.

Honda makes brilliant bikes. The evidence is in the sales figures.

That might be the case elsewhere like Asia but who wants to ride a 125? Here in the uk (so probably more relevant to this forum) in the 500cc and over class in 2020 Honda could only manage 1 bike in the top 10 sales- the AT with 693 units sold in 7th place. BMW on the other hand had 4 bikes in the top 10 with the S1000XR in 10th, S1000RR in 6th, the 1250 GS in 2nd and the 1250 GSA in 1st place with those 4 models accounting for 45% of the top 10 volumes

https://youtu.be/wVDF1y-OiHE

But.....But.....

Sales figures dont mean the GS is a brilliant bike does it? It's just confirmation of a well oiled marketing machine. Remember Ratner jewlers by any chance

That and the aforementioned tunnel vision of current owners.

Sales figures are a good a measure as anything else.

I get it, they only sell bikes in the UK. Not in the rest of the world :blast

That might be the case elsewhere like Asia but who wants to ride a 125? Here in the uk (so probably more relevant to this forum) in the 500cc and over class in 2020 Honda could only manage 1 bike in the top 10 sales- the AT with 693 units sold in 7th place. BMW on the other hand had 4 bikes in the top 10 with the S1000XR in 10th, S1000RR in 6th, the 1250 GS in 2nd and the 1250 GSA in 1st place with those 4 models accounting for 45% of the top 10 volumes

https://youtu.be/wVDF1y-OiHE

Says it all :D

He is getting his fingers in many other pies. He’s got a podcast show on YouTube (visual) and on all podcast capable platforms, he’s also working on a Motorcycle TV show that is due for release later on in a year.

I think that his new found YouTube fame is perhaps more rewarding than standing outside the gates of No. 10 Downing Street.

He’s also running a motorcycle tour gaff, called chicken strips, Picos. I think is his main go to destination, but he also done a few Morocco trips with Toro Adventure.

So he’s making his hobby and passion his job instead ... all credit to him :clap :clap :okay

Says it all :D

Times are changing. If Ducati get sorted and KTM can make more bikes I think their numbers will take a real hit this year. Guess we'll find out, but in truth I don't really care as the new 1290 is doing it for me.

Times are changing. If Ducati get sorted and KTM can make more bikes I think their numbers will take a real hit this year. Guess we'll find out, but in truth I don't really care as the new 1290 is doing it for me.

Frankly, I don't think so.

If you look at the bikes as a technical contraption the mentioned bikes above are as good as any. The reason why BMW out-sells them is not because BMW are technically brilliant while the others are POS. Far from it.

BMW out-sells them because they build the bikes most riders wants.
Most riders obey the laws of traffic and realize they have to share the road with others.
They want a bike that is easy to drive, an engine that is smooth yet delivers power effortlessly. It does not have to be hysterical powerfull, as this, while lots of fun, will bring you into trouble a lot sooner than you think. They want weather protection and riding comfort. And all of these factors, to most riders, trumps the hysterical power or a chassis set up for fast riding (as this makes it less comfortable).

Not all riders will prioritize as above, hence we will never see everybody riding GS.
Thus, if Ducati and KTM wants to out-sell the GS they have to build it with the attributes of the GS.

Let's hope that never happens, as this would be terrible for all of us.

Times are changing. If Ducati get sorted and KTM can make more bikes I think their numbers will take a real hit this year.

There's a few if's in there.

Time will tell.

My view is that not much will change - the GS will still be the most popular bike that all other manufactures aspire to have in their range.

Another thing that is sort of unique to BMW is the dealerships. More dealerships with most models available for a test ride all year round. The customer service is very good, I'm not talking tea and cakes. Plus it is a brand and lifestyle that is promoted. All that makes a difference and people want to buy into it.

Frankly, I don't think so.

If you look at the bikes as a technical contraption the mentioned bikes above are as good as any. The reason why BMW out-sells them is not because BMW are technically brilliant while the others are POS. Far from it.

BMW out-sells them because they build the bikes most riders wants.
Most riders obey the laws of traffic and realize they have to share the road with others.
They want a bike that is easy to drive, an engine that is smooth yet delivers power effortlessly. It does not have to be hysterical powerfull, as this, while lots of fun, will bring you into trouble a lot sooner than you think. They want weather protection and riding comfort. And all of these factors, to most riders, trumps the hysterical power or a chassis set up for fast riding (as this makes it less comfortable).

Not all riders will prioritize as above, hence we will never see everybody riding GS.
Thus, if Ducati and KTM wants to out-sell the GS they have to build it with the attributes of the GS.

Let's hope that never happens, as this would be terrible for all of us.

Good post :thumb In addition I’d say a very good dealer network helps too. KTM have been losing dealers , a few Honda dealers have gone too. I’d quite fancy a V85 but it’s about 90mins to my nearest dealer yet there are two BMW dealers both about 45 mins away and another 2 just over an hour away. The BMW dealership ‘experience’ is very appealing to a great majority of GS buyers , it’s very similar to their car buying experience.

Edit : Tanneman beat me to it ....so wot he said :p

Back
Top Bottom