GS is still the best !

21 90/90 front is definitely sketchy and slower steering and not good for fast road riding...Off road it is better for obvious reasons.As for 19 vs 17 fronts it is interesting that Ducati went from the 17 on the 1260 to 19 on the V4 as also the 19 on the 950 MS was always better handling than the 1260 with the 17...Which teaches you that all theory is grey ;)
Gilles the Tuono "Sex on wheels"...Obviously nobody taught you on how to properly masturbate otherwise you would know how overrated sex is...:D I would take an RSV4 over any Tuono...Just as impractical and useless on the street but much better on the track and more comfortable at higher speeds too.I guess I'm just too pragmatical and pratical minded for these toys from italy and therefore after many years on 2 wheels found to the GS...
Anyways enjoy the Tuono and don't worry what I have to say about it :thumb

Ha!

Well .... I won't :D

:beerjug:

Everyone has the 'best bike 'for them, that is obvs BUT it is also possible to say that there is an overall 'best bike' i.e. a bike that does more of the range of motorcycling requirements at a higher level than the others - that bike is the GS.

"Obviously nobody taught you on how to properly masturbate"

Does this statement just confirm that Boxerlust is a wanker?
:augie

Everyone has the 'best bike 'for them, that is obvs BUT it is also possible to say that there is an overall 'best bike' i.e. a bike that does more of the range of motorcycling requirements at a higher level than the others - that bike is the GS.

I’ll agree that the GS is possibly one of the best bikes for doing everything well.There are better bikes in each category but it’s the two wheeled equivalent of a Ford Focus.
I wouldn’t want a Focus either !

It is like asking which is the best suit, the best cut. It is all to do with trends and fashion. The materials used makes a difference of the feel but it is the cut that makes it fit.

Adventure bikes has become popular because the overall age of the biker has increased. Crouching behind a small fairing, high insurance rates, theft, risk of losing your license, price, complexity, road surfaces that has declined, increase in traffic, maturity etc. It all has led to find a motorcycle with good performance and comfortable suspension. There is no right answer, you have to find it for yourself. As this thread demonstrated that the counter argument can be made that other bikes are better depending on the criteria attached. Even for the GS/GSA or any other LSAB there is a requirement that has to be fulfilled before a potential purchase.

Like a multirole combat aircraft. In the 60s the air forces bought an aircraft to do a specific job, intercept, interdict, bombing, reconnaissance, electronic warfare, CAP etc. As technology progressed the roles of the aircraft increased to make the design more efficient and reduce costs.

No doubt the GS/GSA is good, but it is not the only bike in that category. Thankfully we are all different. There is no best bike for me, I need a tool for every different role I want it to do. The GSA is only good for a few particular jobs it has to do and covers a wider range range of roles than the 11S. If only there was more space in the garage.

I’ll agree that the GS is possibly one of the best bikes for doing everything well.There are better bikes in each category but it’s the two wheeled equivalent of a Ford Focus.

I would say a GTI. Don't want to be seen driving a Ford unless it has a V8 in it.

I would say a GTI. Don't want to be seen driving a Ford unless it has a V8 in it.

That’s just the point !
You can’t have a GTI.
If you want the four wheeled equivalent of a GS then it’s got to be the best selling , ie a Focus.
Having a GTI is like saying you want a 1290 instead of a GS !

That’s just the point !
You can’t have a GTI.
If you want the four wheeled equivalent of a GS then it’s got to be the best selling , ie a Focus.
Having a GTI is like saying you want a 1290 instead of a GS !

Drink tea in the morning not Gin , your making no sense , just rambling on in your own little way:D:D:beerjug::beerjug: (Tanneman syndrome )
1290 you deluded muppet :)

I mean as for which bike is the "best" there are only 2 categories that matter because off-road would be the third category but for 99% of the riders it does not matter.So there are really only 2 Road riders and track riders probably in the ratio 95% vs 5% who actually go to the track and then ride fast...I mean really fast like fast road riding would be maybe 70% max of fast trackday/clubrace pace.MotoGP or WSBK obviously is a completely different with riders faster than the ones mentioned before on bikes costing 10 times as much as the stuff mere mortals can buy with tires so sticky that we can buy this stuff in maybe 10 years from now....For the track the S1000RR has been the default winner for the last 10 years because it is the bike that is the easiest to ride fast and also having the strongest bottom and mid-range which makes it easier to ride fast.But for the street these bikes are useless for obvious reasons.
Street bikes for touring,commuting and fast road riding need different attributes.Comfortable seating position with good vision over the road,wind/weather protection,torquey motors that make good power everywhere than only on top and don't need to be shifted frantically,good high speed stability,easy handling with quick steering for backroad fun,good ground clearance,center stand for upright parking and ease of maintenance,factory hard luggage and clean low maintenance driveshaft and a front suspension that can separate diving and suspension forces as a Plus.
So you end up with most BMW Boxers and S1000XR, KTM 1290 SADV-S & SD 1290 GT , Ducati MS 950 and V4...
And yes the 1290 and V4 is 20 mph faster on the Autobahn but otherwise in every other category the GS has them beat! The XR has more top-end (22 hp more than the KTM , 14 hp more than the Duc on the same dyno according to MOTORRAD) and thus is much faster on top (o-125 mph 1,1 sec faster than the KTM , 1,8 sec faster than the MS V4) which is huge so in the end it is either the GS or the XR which is the best street-bike when you look at performance or other things like handling or things like drive-shaft or the superior function of the Telelever...That is why the GS out-sells them All combined ! Is it perfect ? No but it would be with 160hp/nm , 24 liter tank and 2 same size bags:thumby: B.tw. Stick I keep my 2019 GS with ADV suspension and don't trade it on a 2021 ADV...12 grand is a little bit too much for a bigger tank...;)
Waiting for the M1300GS and R1300S :thumb

Stick...b.t.w. I hate flying too (boring) even if my ex came from a family of crop-dusters so I was exposed to plenty of aircraft and Tanneman I would not even by a Ford with a V-8...The Mustang sounds great but has no Torque and drives like a hobby-horse getting you seasick bobbing up and down and having a snappy rear end.If V-8 get a Camaro with a stick or better a M2,3,4 :thumb2 A little pricey and no V-8 soundtrack but except for the 911 the best sporty road cars left that still come with a proper transmission with 3 pedals on the floor :thumb2

The Honda NCX is the two wheeled Ford Focus. The GS does almost everything very well, thereby making it the best.

I mean as for which bike is the "best" .........

You're doing it again! You're obsessed with numbers 'Top End' '20 more HP', '1.1 sec faster than the KTM' ....

If you're bag is American Freeway, and thats it (a chimp can ride that) then yes, the bike with the biggest balls will be the first off the lights and the first 1/2 a mile down the road by Ooooooooooo one second. Hurrah for intersections and Free way.

Over here, life is very different, and one bike against another is probably 99% down to the rider.

This is us ... stuff like this. (this is my neck of the woods).

Maybe this ...

The difference on these roads between a GS, a 1290, an XR, a Mutistrada .... My 790 ....

Its FUCK ALL !!!!!! (well ... its not ..... Its the rider!)

My 790? 99bhp or something like that? I ride with buddies (bike cops .... fast!) one is on a Multi, one on an Africa Twin, and another mate (non cop) on a Blade. 50 bhp difference between bikes.

There is nothing in it! What one bike does on the 'straights' (see above!), it looses on the corners. Your 20 bhp between one bike and another?? 1.1 seconds between one bike and another? I'm riding with bikes that 50bhp difference!!! Nothing in it in real world riding.

It makes FUCK ALL DIFFERENCE !!!!! Its down to the rider!

You really think you're precious GS is suddenly going to miraculously out perform a 1290 or a Multi or my 790 on these roads?

And of course that goes the other way too. My 790 will not out perform a well ridden GS / Multi / 1290 etc etc.

Put the internet down, put the magazines down, stop reading data and numbers, and who makes more BHP, where the power is, who is 1.1 seconds quicker over 1/4 of a mile than another.

Sheesh !!!! :blast

Tanneman I would not even by a Ford with a V-8...

You certainly don't want to drive the vanilla 4 cylinder models over here. Can't really say vanilla because it is the most popular icecream flavour.

Back
Top Bottom