GS is still the best !

Took me ages it did ...... :D

I'm sure someone will be along to give you advice on how to take photos properly :D

You're doing it again! You're obsessed with numbers 'Top End' '20 more HP', '1.1 sec faster than the KTM' ....

If you're bag is American Freeway, and thats it (a chimp can ride that) then yes, the bike with the biggest balls will be the first off the lights and the first 1/2 a mile down the road by Ooooooooooo one second. Hurrah for intersections and Free way.

Over here, life is very different, and one bike against another is probably 99% down to the rider.

This is us ... stuff like this. (this is my neck of the woods).

Maybe this ...

The difference on these roads between a GS, a 1290, an XR, a Mutistrada .... My 790 ....

Its FUCK ALL !!!!!! (well ... its not ..... Its the rider!)

My 790? 99bhp or something like that? I ride with buddies (bike cops .... fast!) one is on a Multi, one on an Africa Twin, and another mate (non cop) on a Blade. 50 bhp difference between bikes.

There is nothing in it! What one bike does on the 'straights' (see above!), it looses on the corners. Your 20 bhp between one bike and another?? 1.1 seconds between one bike and another? I'm riding with bikes that 50bhp difference!!! Nothing in it in real world riding.

It makes FUCK ALL DIFFERENCE !!!!! Its down to the rider!

You really think you're precious GS is suddenly going to miraculously out perform a 1290 or a Multi or my 790 on these roads?

And of course that goes the other way too. My 790 will not out perform a well ridden GS / Multi / 1290 etc etc.

Put the internet down, put the magazines down, stop reading data and numbers, and who makes more BHP, where the power is, who is 1.1 seconds quicker over 1/4 of a mile than another.

Sheesh !!!! :blast

Totally agree I have seen one of our bike instructors many moons ago utterly drubbing a rider on a then current gsxr1100l on country roads.

John ( the instructor) at the time was riding a six or seven year old bmw r80rt with 70,000 miles on the clock, it is down to skill and ability and most of those who demand 160bhp plus on a road bike are trying to compensate for a shortage of both

Giles agree with you on roads like this all you can use is maybe 80-100 hp max and the rest is all to the rider...In the US there are a lot of roads like this and on the freeway forget it...80 mph max or you get expensive tickets in the land of the fee...LOL But there are roads and countries where you still can go balls out (Germany/Mexico to name 2 I can think of) where a bike should be able to go 155 mph with bags to be fun and create a rush...:thumb2
I mean that would be enough even after riding a S1000RR for a while on the track between 9 and 14000 rpm a bike like the S1000XR will feel a little slow...Everything is relative ! Look at the guys a the Isle of Man I think these bikes they ride today are more than fast enough and anything more powerful would not mean faster lap times but more casualties...Because the human brain can only process so much and only this fast...As also I could not ride a XR any faster than a GS except on the straights where the GS will only go this fast and the XR is gone...But the XR is definitely fast enough for the street ! Anything more would be only faster to the hospital or morgue...;)
I think the M1300GS will be the perfect tool for the road :thumb

Giles agree with you on roads like this all you can use is maybe 80-100 hp max and the rest is all to the rider...In the US there are a lot of roads like this and on the freeway forget it...80 mph max or you get expensive tickets in the land of the fee...LOL But there are roads and countries where you still can go balls out (Germany/Mexico to name 2 I can think of) where a bike should be able to go 155 mph with bags to be fun and create a rush...:thumb2
I mean that would be enough even after riding a S1000RR for a while on the track between 9 and 14000 rpm a bike like the S1000XR will feel a little slow...Everything is relative ! Look at the guys a the Isle of Man I think these bikes they ride today are more than fast enough and anything more powerful would not mean faster lap times but more casualties...Because the human brain can only process so much and only this fast...As also I could not ride a XR any faster than a GS except on the straights where the GS will only go this fast and the XR is gone...But the XR is definitely fast enough for the street ! Anything more would be only faster to the hospital or morgue...;)
I think the M1300GS will be the perfect tool for the road :thumb

Going 155+ on the autobahn is exhilarating for about 5 minutes then gets a bit boring .
Didn’t you get fined for speeding in Mexico ?
We got stopped for doing only about 15kmh over the limit !

Boxerlust, we also get points on our license. 6 points and insurance start getting expensive, 12 points totted up and it is to the court to get banned and fined. Over 96 or 100 mph? it is an instant ban. 2 x the legal limit on any road is reckless driving which can have time behind bars, definite ban and a big fine. If they catch you speeding in Europe it is on the spot fine or your vehicle is confiscated. Germany may have the autobahn but only certain sections are unrestricted but you can still be fined for speeding or reckless driving on unrestricted sections. The Swiss fine you as a percentage of your income depending on the severity of the transgression. That is why hp doesn't matter that much here. Any bike can do more than the speed limit on national roads except some of the lower capacity scooters. It is fun to have the extra hp but doesn't count for much unless you can make it work on a closed circuit.

Just to add the above to what Giles is saying.

This might also be the reason why LSAB have become more popular. You can break the national speed limit in 1st gear on a S1000RR. I remember clicking into 3rd gear with the front wheel still light at 135mph. The bike was in rain mode :eek: That speed will kill you over here.

It will be like when a midget hits a windscreen. How does the midget knows he is dead. When his arsehole passes his ears.

Follow the telegraph poles, mind that junction and the tractor coming over the hill :D

Follow the poles and you could end up in a farmers front room:D

As always they're just a single piece of onfo that in itself should not be relied on. When erecting rural pole routes the planner will sometimes straight line part of a route alternating which side of the road the poles are put to reduce the amount of cable required and reduce the number of pole stays required so what can appear to be a straight line showing how the road goes actually disguises a series of quite sharp bends.:beerjug:

Follow the poles and you could end up in a farmers front room:D

As always they're just a single piece of onfo that in itself should not be relied on. When erecting rural pole routes the planner will sometimes straight line part of a route alternating which side of the road the poles are put to reduce the amount of cable required and reduce the number of pole stays required so what can appear to be a straight line showing how the road goes actually disguises a series of quite sharp bends.:beerjug:

It's just extra information that may be helpful - as always the answer is, 'it depends' - rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men :D

Worth noting the tractor? at telegraph pole number 7.

Arsey yes got mugged for going 127 mph in a 50 but it was only 500 pesos (25 bucks) Viva la Mexico:thumb2
In the land of the fee this would have been not as cheap...Or you would need a faster bike :D

Still the best... is it really. Still the best at going wrong or still the best at corroding or still the best at making you poorer.

Isn’t it so strange KTM spend millions designing a 90% new motorcycle only for a £40k p/a motojournalist to declare the GS is better.

Is this whatÂ’s happens... KTM deliberately release a bike knowing full well they have fallen short of the market leader I donÂ’t think so?

I bet John Ryan (were he still alive) would still be riding his beloved FJRÂ’s at 100mph down the gravel tracks from Prudhoe Bay. And for the guy who beat John RyanÂ’s unofficial record ride from Prudhoe to Key West, he chooses to ride an XT1200. Both seriously competent riders who knew/ know what makes a good motorcycle for their needs. These types arenÂ’t paid influencers; maybe look to them for the answer. Sadly due to the increasingly more strict euro emissions, there are some seriously brilliant bikes no longer in production.

Still the best... is it really. Still the best at going wrong or still the best at corroding or still the best at making you poorer.

Isn’t it so strange KTM spend millions designing a 90% new motorcycle only for a £40k p/a motojournalist to declare the GS is better.

Is this whatÂ’s happens... KTM deliberately release a bike knowing full well they have fallen short of the market leader I donÂ’t think so?

I bet John Ryan (were he still alive) would still be riding his beloved FJRÂ’s at 100mph down the gravel tracks from Prudhoe Bay. And for the guy who beat John RyanÂ’s unofficial record ride from Prudhoe to Key West, he chooses to ride an XT1200. Both seriously competent riders who knew/ know what makes a good motorcycle for their needs. These types arenÂ’t paid influencers; maybe look to them for the answer. Sadly due to the increasingly more strict euro emissions, there are some seriously brilliant bikes no longer in production.

Yes it is still the best :)

It made it through the latest emissions regs, Euro 5 with a smoother and more powerful engine - if those other 'seriously brilliant' bikes you mention were that good why didn't the manufacturers make them comply?

If you don’t go off road then the 21 RT is a better bet than the 20 GS. The new RT has been improved massively I just don’t know how they have done it. Quieter engine, much smoother gear changes and plenty fast enough. I have a 2019 1250 GS and for me there is no comparison. I also have a 2000 Pan Euro ST1100 and I love that one to so. Anyone that hasn’t should try the new RT I think you will be surprised what a step up it is from the previous model which I’ve also owned in the past.

Yes it is still the best :)

It made it through the latest emissions regs, Euro 5 with a smoother and more powerful engine - if those other 'seriously brilliant' bikes you mention were that good why didn't the manufacturers make them comply?

Well of course they weren’t as popular and clearly sales count. BMW are very good at getting people to signed up to the marque and to perhaps also rely on your type to vehemently defend the product/s and spread the word.

BMW has a huge following in the States but among the 80K and greater mile per annum riders, the choice is reliably. Hanging around repair shops isn’t their thing.

Even the boxer engine will be gone by 2030. But BMW know they can cash in in the interim.

If you don’t go off road then the 21 RT is a better bet than the 20 GS. The new RT has been improved massively I just don’t know how they have done it. Quieter engine, much smoother gear changes and plenty fast enough. I have a 2019 1250 GS and for me there is no comparison. I also have a 2000 Pan Euro ST1100 and I love that one to so. Anyone that hasn’t should try the new RT I think you will be surprised what a step up it is from the previous model which I’ve also owned in the past.

In your opinion , but the RT is a commuter bike not a fun bike , its plastic , bulky and to be honest as ugly as a drunk witch . I would rather own a oush bike.
The GS is a brilliant road bike simple . Your "if you dont off road " point is pointless

Well of course they weren’t as popular and clearly sales count. BMW are very good at getting people to signed up to the marque and to perhaps also rely on your type to vehemently defend the product/s and spread the word.

BMW has a huge following in the States but among the 80K and greater mile per annum riders, the choice is reliably. Hanging around repair shops isn’t their thing.

Even the boxer engine will be gone by 2030. But BMW know they can cash in in the interim.

What does 'sign up' to the marque mean? People just buy great bikes.

I ride all the time, it's my only personal mechanised transport (or occasionally my Thruxton R) - I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't do everything very well; that's the only word I'm spreading.

I ride all the time, it's my only personal mechanised transport (or occasionally my Thruxton R) - I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't do everything very well; that's the only word I'm spreading.

But that’s a contradictory statement... you’ve bought a Thruxton R which, isn’t a bike famed for doing everything very well.

Back
Top Bottom