Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: GS is still the best !

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by stick View Post
    Well it certainly depends on the pilot ,.........
    Are you a pilot too ? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Are you a pilot too ? :-)
    No , just a thinker ..... Engineering , design , problem solving .
    I hate flying .

I mean as for which bike is the "best" there are only 2 categories that matter because off-road would be the third category but for 99% of the riders it does not matter.So there are really only 2 Road riders and track riders probably in the ratio 95% vs 5% who actually go to the track and then ride fast...I mean really fast like fast road riding would be maybe 70% max of fast trackday/clubrace pace.MotoGP or WSBK obviously is a completely different with riders faster than the ones mentioned before on bikes costing 10 times as much as the stuff mere mortals can buy with tires so sticky that we can buy this stuff in maybe 10 years from now....For the track the S1000RR has been the default winner for the last 10 years because it is the bike that is the easiest to ride fast and also having the strongest bottom and mid-range which makes it easier to ride fast.But for the street these bikes are useless for obvious reasons.
    Street bikes for touring,commuting and fast road riding need different attributes.Comfortable seating position with good vision over the road,wind/weather protection,torquey motors that make good power everywhere than only on top and don't need to be shifted frantically,good high speed stability,easy handling with quick steering for backroad fun,good ground clearance,center stand for upright parking and ease of maintenance,factory hard luggage and clean low maintenance driveshaft and a front suspension that can separate diving and suspension forces as a Plus.
    So you end up with most BMW Boxers and S1000XR, KTM 1290 SADV-S & SD 1290 GT , Ducati MS 950 and V4...
    And yes the 1290 and V4 is 20 mph faster on the Autobahn but otherwise in every other category the GS has them beat! The XR has more top-end (22 hp more than the KTM , 14 hp more than the Duc on the same dyno according to MOTORRAD) and thus is much faster on top (o-125 mph 1,1 sec faster than the KTM , 1,8 sec faster than the MS V4) which is huge so in the end it is either the GS or the XR which is the best street-bike when you look at performance or other things like handling or things like drive-shaft or the superior function of the Telelever...That is why the GS out-sells them All combined ! Is it perfect ? No but it would be with 160hp/nm , 24 liter tank and 2 same size bags B.tw. Stick I keep my 2019 GS with ADV suspension and don't trade it on a 2021 ADV...12 grand is a little bit too much for a bigger tank...
    Waiting for the M1300GS and R1300S

Stick...b.t.w. I hate flying too (boring) even if my ex came from a family of crop-dusters so I was exposed to plenty of aircraft and Tanneman I would not even by a Ford with a V-8...The Mustang sounds great but has no Torque and drives like a hobby-horse getting you seasick bobbing up and down and having a snappy rear end.If V-8 get a Camaro with a stick or better a M2,3,4 A little pricey and no V-8 soundtrack but except for the 911 the best sporty road cars left that still come with a proper transmission with 3 pedals on the floor

Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    I’ll agree that the GS is possibly one of the best bikes for doing everything well.There are better bikes in each category but it’s the two wheeled equivalent of a Ford Focus.
    I wouldn’t want a Focus either !
    The Honda NCX is the two wheeled Ford Focus. The GS does almost everything very well, thereby making it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    Stick...b.t.w……… 3 pedals on the floor
    You mean firewall
    W.E. Bespoke Cabinetry
    Bespoke Made To Measure Freestanding and Fitted Furniture
    Click above link for more info

Bike currently owned:
    2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S

Bikes owned in the past:
    2017 R1200 GS Adventure Tripple Black TE
    2014 R1200 GS TE,
    2015 Honda Forza NSS125A
    2013 Piaggio Vespa GTS125ie
    2004 Honda Pantheon FES125
    2001 Chunlan Starway 125 (shortest ownership ever, only 3 weeks)

I mean as for which bike is the "best" .........

You're doing it again! You're obsessed with numbers 'Top End' '20 more HP', '1.1 sec faster than the KTM' ....

If you're bag is American Freeway, and thats it (a chimp can ride that) then yes, the bike with the biggest balls will be the first off the lights and the first 1/2 a mile down the road by Ooooooooooo one second. Hurrah for intersections and Free way.

Over here, life is very different, and one bike against another is probably 99% down to the rider.

This is us ... stuff like this. (this is my neck of the woods).

Maybe this ...

The difference on these roads between a GS, a 1290, an XR, a Mutistrada .... My 790 ....

Its FUCK ALL !!!!!! (well ... its not ..... Its the rider!)

My 790? 99bhp or something like that? I ride with buddies (bike cops .... fast!) one is on a Multi, one on an Africa Twin, and another mate (non cop) on a Blade. 50 bhp difference between bikes.

There is nothing in it! What one bike does on the 'straights' (see above!), it looses on the corners. Your 20 bhp between one bike and another?? 1.1 seconds between one bike and another? I'm riding with bikes that 50bhp difference!!! Nothing in it in real world riding.

It makes FUCK ALL DIFFERENCE !!!!! Its down to the rider!

You really think you're precious GS is suddenly going to miraculously out perform a 1290 or a Multi or my 790 on these roads?

And of course that goes the other way too. My 790 will not out perform a well ridden GS / Multi / 1290 etc etc.

Put the internet down, put the magazines down, stop reading data and numbers, and who makes more BHP, where the power is, who is 1.1 seconds quicker over 1/4 of a mile than another.

Sheesh !!!!

Complete Arse Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Tanneman I would not even by a Ford with a V-8...
    You certainly don't want to drive the vanilla 4 cylinder models over here. Can't really say vanilla because it is the most popular icecream flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    You're doing ............
    I hope you didn't go out specially to take those photos

Took me ages it did ......

I'm sure someone will be along to give you advice on how to take photos properly

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    You're doing it again! You're obsessed with numbers 'Top End' '20 more HP', '1.1 sec faster than the KTM' ....

If you're bag is American Freeway, and thats it (a chimp can ride that) then yes, the bike with the biggest balls will be the first off the lights and the first 1/2 a mile down the road by Ooooooooooo one second. Hurrah for intersections and Free way.

Over here, life is very different, and one bike against another is probably 99% down to the rider.

This is us ... stuff like this. (this is my neck of the woods).

Maybe this ...

The difference on these roads between a GS, a 1290, an XR, a Mutistrada .... My 790 ....

Its FUCK ALL !!!!!! (well ... its not ..... Its the rider!)

My 790? 99bhp or something like that? I ride with buddies (bike cops .... fast!) one is on a Multi, one on an Africa Twin, and another mate (non cop) on a Blade. 50 bhp difference between bikes.

There is nothing in it! What one bike does on the 'straights' (see above!), it looses on the corners. Your 20 bhp between one bike and another?? 1.1 seconds between one bike and another? I'm riding with bikes that 50bhp difference!!! Nothing in it in real world riding.

It makes FUCK ALL DIFFERENCE !!!!! Its down to the rider!

You really think you're precious GS is suddenly going to miraculously out perform a 1290 or a Multi or my 790 on these roads?

And of course that goes the other way too. My 790 will not out perform a well ridden GS / Multi / 1290 etc etc.

Put the internet down, put the magazines down, stop reading data and numbers, and who makes more BHP, where the power is, who is 1.1 seconds quicker over 1/4 of a mile than another.

Sheesh !!!!

Totally agree I have seen one of our bike instructors many moons ago utterly drubbing a rider on a then current gsxr1100l on country roads.

John ( the instructor) at the time was riding a six or seven year old bmw r80rt with 70,000 miles on the clock, it is down to skill and ability and most of those who demand 160bhp plus on a road bike are trying to compensate for a shortage of both

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718