nav 6 wants to go own way randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a nav 6 and create gpx routes via myroutes

I would say I am pretty good at it as I do all the routing for our group so have had plenty of practice.

But I'm obviously not that good as I have come across a strange thing two weekends in a row.

My nav decides it wants to go a slightly different route, todays would have been a short cut. Last weeks it just wanted to to go a different way.

On getting home today I look through myroutes at the map assuming the shaping point is further down the route so the nav decides it can cut across a shorter way, but no the shaping point is at the next right turn junction, its as if its just ignoring/skipping it 3 miles before we get to it. (red arrow)

As for last weeks in the first screenshot, it just wanted to go its own way for a few miles. (red arrow)

I have screenshot this as 2nd shot, red arrow is direction nav asked me to go, but the shaping points are clearly seen and Im on the main road, its trying to send us up roads with grass on them

whats up with it ? I save it as a gpx 1.1 and use file explorer to drag and drop the file onto the nav. Reason for using gpx 1.1 is that it brings it in as all shaping points and I then change a few significant ones to waypoints.

I am suspecting its in this area where my problem lies. Should I use 1.0 or maybe use the import in myroutes. Its hard to work out as the map looks the same and unless I get on the bike and ride back to the problem area on the route and see how it reacts but its 50 miles away so not too practical.

bizarrely I share the same route in gpx 1.1 with tomtom users and 1250gs with tft screens using the motorad app, none of them complain about any deviations, they just say I'm a fool and can only blame myself.

any solutions or thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• gpx lost.JPG
    gpx lost.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 193
  • nav lost 2.JPG
    nav lost 2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 194
My first suspicions are:

1. You possibly have autorecalculate turned on.

2. That somewhere along the way you possibly missed out a via point (what you have called a waypoint) ie. you have possibly missed out a point you have told the device you must go through. In seeking to take you up the road shown by your red arrow, it is maybe doing nothing more than trying to take you back, so that you can pass through the point that you told the device you must pass through. That though might not fit with the direction the red arrow takes, if your direction of progress was - as I suspect it was - right to left, when viewed on the screenshots ie following the numbers sequentially.

That though is a complete guess, hindered in as much as you have told us nothing about your device’s settings and have chosen to muddy the waters by introducing MyRoute into what should be a straightforward piece of route creation in BaseCamp.

Have you tried contacting the MyRoute forum for assistance?

https://support.myrouteapp.com/support/solutions/articles/12000074938-manual-forum-

As the route apparently worked on a TomTom device and for someone using the Motorrad app (I guess via their phone) I can only guess that:

A. There is something within the preference settings of your Nav VI that is causing the recalculation.

B. There is some glitch in the MyRoute created route, that is picked up and acted on by the Nav VI’s Garmin software. The same glitch is ignored by the TomTom and Motorrad app.

C. Operator error has crept in, possibly.

D. Something else.

Question:

1. When you display the route in your Nav VI, does it look completely correct? In other words, does it follow exactly the route that you created in MyRoute? If it does, then the deviation in the route (to take you in the direction of the red arrows) can only have come following a subsequent recalculation, surely? If so, what prompted the recalculation?

If the route displayed does follow the direction of the red arrow, then (logically, at least) there is a misfit between the MyRoute route and your Nav VI. This can occur for a variety of reasons, including: preference settings, the not entirely compatible linking between MyRoute’s software and Garmin’s software, some problem when you:

....then change a few significant ones to waypoints.

It’s the change and waypoint things that bother me most. I guess you made this conversion within your Nav VI itself, as opposed to making the switch from within BaseCamp? If you somehow, when riding, missed out a waypoint (a point you have told the device you must pass through) then the device will recalculate to keep trying to take you back, so that you can pass through it.

2. Have you tried displaying the MyRoute in BaseCamp on your PC? Does it look as you expect it to? If so, does it export properly to you Nav VI and display properly there, too?

The challenge with answering your question, is that there are maybe several factors in play. These include:

MyRoute.

Conversion of points.

Device settings.

When the route’s recalculation took place and, most importantly, why it took place.

I know you don’t like BaseCamp and think it’s outdated. But, it isn’t; it is very powerful software. More importantly perhaps it is Garmin’s own software, around and through which their devices work best. Adding in MyRoute adds something, even if it is just a GPX route. GPX routes should exchange and run perfectly but sometimes they don’t. The why, is sometimes difficult to establish, which is why I am pointing you to the MyRoute forum.

PS Garmin, call their three points:

Shaping points. These are unannounced points, used to shape a route in BaseCamp and to pin a route down. They serve no other function.

Via points. These are announced points, through which the device is told it must take the rider through. By their nature, they also pin a route.

Waypoints, also called points of interest. These are physical points that exist within the software and in the real world: For example hotels, scenic spots, petrol and police stations. They can also be brought in (say from Open Street Maps’ data base) or created by the owner of the device, with BaseCamp. For example, I can create a specific waypoint and call it, ‘Mum’s house’ giving it all sorts of attributes, all personal to me. These too, pin a route.

Can you share the two GPX routes with us, please. That way we can look at them and see if we can replicate the problem. If the routes are large, share them with us by hosting them on something free and easy, like Dropbox.

Trying to help by possibly guessing is really hard. There again, there might be a dead simple answer, which someone (there are lots of them) very familiar with MyRoute and the Nav VI (there are plenty of them, too) will be able to answer in a flash. I stop when it comes to MyRoute’s involvement in the process, as it is the work of the devil.

I don’t know if it’s possible from within MyRoute but if you can, try exporting the route from MyRoute to your NavVI as a track. Then, from within the device, convert the track into a route. The conversion should be perfect. Sometimes it isn’t but that is another matter entirely. The converted route will not have any shaping, via points or waypoints in it, but that doesn’t matter particularly. If you can do it, does the route look and run perfectly? If so, problem solved. It doesn’t though answer your question as posed in your opening post as to why something happened originally.

PS The Nav V and Nav VI are very different devices, with different operating systems. That answers your comment :augie Don’t take post #2 to heart. There is though a grain of truth in it, all the same and it’s briefer than what then followed :beerjug:

in my route app (gold) you can do a route and then use compare function,ie compare with garmin and tom tom you then go along the route altering any discrepacies,once they match save as track export to your pc then re import it will then have just a start and finish that wont be deviated from.

From post #6, the track idea in post #5 does seem to be a workaround option, for the Devil’s disciples. Of course, starting and ending in BaseCamp (or at least used if only to check a route created in any third party software or even one that is sent by a well meaning mate) would cut out all the fiddling about in MyRoute (gold).

I import lots of routes from magazines and can often spot all sorts of glitches in them. Anything from where bods went wrong and turned around (then not correcting their error in the final track to route conversion) through to nothing but masses of straight lines. BaseCamp and a bit of effort on my part, can generally sort them out.

check all the points on the route, and zoom right in to do it.
if any are slightly off the road it throws a wobbler.

also when on the route, if a point is slightly off, you wont clear it as you ride past and the sat-nav starts with the "Do a U-turn" crap.
i use basecamp now, and check and double check routes. I try to get away with as little points i can to avoid issues.

To be fair to the garmin unit, i have experienced the same on a tomtom rider i had also previously.

i think its the *device settings as he shares the routes with me and they work correctly on both nav5 and the BMW Connected app.

*or sausage fingers

Barry

i think its the *device settings as he shares the routes with me and they work correctly on both nav5 and the BMW Connected app.

*or sausage fingers

Barry

Do I take it that the Northern Ireland contingent have come up with a passable (and hopefully correct) answer to the OP’s problem, matching post #4 item C?

so many scenarios here, I will work my way through them and answer as simply as I can and hopefully some one know if its nav or route software related

thanks

My first suspicions are:

1. You possibly have autorecalculate turned on.

2. That somewhere along the way you possibly missed out a via point (what you have called a waypoint) ie. you have possibly missed out a point you have told the device you must go through. In seeking to take you up the road shown by your red arrow, it is maybe doing nothing more than trying to take you back, so that you can pass through the point that you told the device you must pass through. That though might not fit with the direction the red arrow takes, if your direction of progress was - as I suspect it was - right to left, when viewed on the screenshots ie following the numbers sequentially.

That though is a complete guess, hindered in as much as you have told us nothing about your device’s settings and have chosen to muddy the waters by introducing MyRoute into what should be a straightforward piece of route creation in BaseCamp.

yes auto recalculate was on automatic, didnt think this would be an issue. We have a habit of passing junctions and just carrying on to next one, nav recalculates and all is ok
since we didnt miss anything in both my cases, I didn't consider it. I will turn it off

on the attached map from last week, I knew we were turning left at the junction and through the via (pee stop) point. but the nav on approaching the junction wanted to go straight across and not left. Since I knew this part of the route I followed my nose and the route then wanted to take us down the second red arrow to the left. Again I ignored it and headed for shaping point 16, got there and all was fine again to the end of the journey as if nothing had happened.

no one elses nav did this

Attachments

• tiles 1.JPG
    tiles 1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 166
Have you tried contacting the MyRoute forum for assistance?

https://support.myrouteapp.com/support/solutions/articles/12000074938-manual-forum-

As the route apparently worked on a TomTom device and for someone using the Motorrad app (I guess via their phone) I can only guess that:

A. There is something within the preference settings of your Nav VI that is causing the recalculation.

B. There is some glitch in the MyRoute created route, that is picked up and acted on by the Nav VI’s Garmin software. The same glitch is ignored by the TomTom and Motorrad app.

C. Operator error has crept in, possibly.

D. Something else.

I didnt try myroutes help as I assumed its my nav 6

As Smart bazza has noted and hes greedy, he was running the motorad app on the tft and a nav v. He had no issues

in my route app (gold) you can do a route and then use compare function,ie compare with garmin and tom tom you then go along the route altering any discrepacies,once they match save as track export to your pc then re import it will then have just a start and finish that wont be deviated from.

that what I do, works well although a few times no matter how many points I plot the Tomtom refuses to alter its course. Usually in towns.

My first suspicions are:

dont think this could have happened as the last via point was miles before followed by numerous shapimg points that we hit every one of them

it went mad between 10 and 11 points and then had another wee go after 12.

Attachments

• middletown.JPG
    middletown.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 140
Can you share the two GPX routes with us, please. That way we can look at them and see if we can replicate the problem. If the routes are large, share them with us by hosting them on something free and easy, like Dropbox.

Trying to help by possibly guessing is really hard. There again, there might be a dead simple answer, which someone (there are lots of them) very familiar with MyRoute and the Nav VI (there are plenty of them, too) will be able to answer in a flash. I stop when it comes to MyRoute’s involvement in the process, as it is the work of the devil.

I don’t know if it’s possible from within MyRoute but if you can, try exporting the route from MyRoute to your NavVI as a track. Then, from within the device, convert the track into a route. The conversion should be perfect. Sometimes it isn’t but that is another matter entirely. The converted route will not have any shaping, via points or waypoints in it, but that doesn’t matter particularly. If you can do it, does the route look and run perfectly? If so, problem solved. It doesn’t though answer your question as posed in your opening post as to why something happened originally.

PS The Nav V and Nav VI are very different devices, with different operating systems. That answers your comment :augie Don’t take post #2 to heart. There is though a grain of truth in it, all the same and it’s briefer than what then followed :beerjug:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/4432803?mode=share

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/4472479?mode=share

I have made both routes public, I assume people can now see them or am I wrong ?

2. Have you tried displaying the MyRoute in BaseCamp on your PC? Does it look as you expect it to? If so, does it export properly to you Nav VI and display properly there, too?
Loaded into basecamp, looks the same to me as it does in myroutes

Attachments

• BASECAMP.JPG
    BASECAMP.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 57
yes auto recalculate was on automatic, didnt think this would be an issue. We have a habit of passing junctions and just carrying on to next one, nav recalculates and all is ok
since we didnt miss anything in both my cases, I didn't consider it. I will turn it off

on the attached map from last week, I knew we were turning left at the junction and through the via (pee stop) point. but the nav on approaching the junction wanted to go straight across and not left. Since I knew this part of the route I followed my nose and the route then wanted to take us down the second red arrow to the left. Again I ignored it and headed for shaping point 16, got there and all was fine again to the end of the journey as if nothing had happened.

no one elses nav did this

That is the MyMap view of the route, we can accept that. I don't doubt that your device (and your device alone) autocorrected the route to send you straight ahead on the B162 and then, later to turn right off the B47. Why yours did is a mystery.

What does the hand symbol mean in the point numbered 15, versus the plectrum shaped marker 16? I think I can understand the numbers, it's what the symbols represent I'm after.

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom