nav 6 wants to go own way randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
One tip:

Don't put your shaping points so close to a junction. A small slip with the cursor could send you the wrong way, very easily.

attachment.php

That is the MyMap view of the route, we can accept that. I don't doubt that your device (and your device alone) autocorrected the route to send you straight ahead on the B162 and then, later to turn right off the B47. Why yours did is a mystery.

What does the hand symbol mean in the point numbered 15, versus the plectrum shaped marker 16? I think I can understand the numbers, it's what the symbols represent I'm after.

attachment.php

hand is a via point
plectrum is a shaping point

I use the odd via point when mapping to mark a significant point

Attachments

• pee.JPG
    pee.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 40
That is the MyMap view of the route, we can accept that. I don't doubt that your device (and your device alone) autocorrected the route to send you straight ahead on the B162 and then, later to turn right off the B47. Why yours did is a mystery.

What does the hand symbol mean in the point numbered 15, versus the plectrum shaped marker 16? I think I can understand the numbers, it's what the symbols represent I'm after.

attachment.php

I assume the other route between points 10 and 11 shows nothing significant problem either

I will just keep an eye on this over the next few trips and see if it happens again, we are for Scotland in the next week or two, following my nose wont be an option there.

thanks

hand is a via point
plectrum is a shaping point

I use the odd via point when mapping to mark a significant point

Thank you for clarifying.

When did the magenta line change to take up up the B162? Before you reached the crossroads with the B47 or after you made the turn to the left?

Here are my guesses, as to what happened.

I am now wondering if the hand shaped via point (a point you have told the device you must pass through) is actually placed, across the road, right at the bottom of the B162? If it is then, by turning left, you very probably missed it out. Or, somehow you maybe missed passing through the viapoint for some other reason? Whilst you pee’d on the flora and fauna, perhaps? Either way, the device knows no better than to obey your instruction, so inevitably it:

A. Tried to send you straight on

B. Then, when you turned left, tried to turn you right up the small road, to (I guess) ride two sides of a triangle and pass through the point that way.

Each time the device will autorecalculate, just as you told us it did.

The effect of a badly placed via point is magnified when a route is created in MyMap, whose mapping does not always exactly match BaseCamp / Garmin’s maps. The electronic point is fixed (it won’t move, unless you drag it physically) but the map beneath it does in a sense move or at least alter, in affect moving the electronic point.

If I am correct that you somehow missed the via point, then had you hit ‘skip point’ or whatever it’s called, all would very probably have been well.

Thoughts, based on nothing more than my guesses.

1. Avoid placing points (shaping or via) close to junctions.

2. Avoid using via points, until you maybe understand them better. They actually work really well in BaseCamp, as you can give them all sorts of qualities, unique to just that one point. Would you not recognise the country pee stop when you got to it? Did it really have to be a ‘must pass through here to pass water’ tgat yiy needed to carve in stone?

3. Accept that MyMap and Garmin are not the perfect bedfellows that some people claim.

4. Check everything, especially if you intend to share it with other people. And then check it again.

5. Accept that a Nav VI (whilst similar to its younger siblings) does behave differently in some regards.

6. Get to know and love BaseCamp. You clearly know how to create a route. If you can do it in MyRoute, you can do it in BaseCamp, whether on a Mac or on a PC.

:beerjug: :beer: :aidan

In case it’s not already been said, I always turn off autorecalculate when following a route created in Basecamp, as I learned the hard way, simply by taking a wrong turn at a 5-way crossroad junction, my Nav 6 completely recalculated my carefully planned Biker friendly route on A & B roads from the Peaks to N Wales taking me on the M56, I never forgotten to turn off auto recalculate since that very annoying incident.

On the odd occasion when I’ve misplaced a waypoint, the Nav6 starts giving strange instructions along the lines of ‘follow road’, at that point you need to find the ‘skip point’ button, and hey presto everything is back on track.

Recalculate is indeed a double edged sword, a bit like ‘I must pass through this point’ via points and preference settings. Very dumb, these clever machines or is it, very clever, these dumb machines.

Thank you for clarifying.

I am now wondering if the hand shaped via point (a point you have told the device you must pass through) is actually placed, across the road, right at the bottom of the B162? If it is then, by turning left, you very probably missed it out. The device knows no better than to obey your instruction, so inevitably it:

A. Tried to send you straight on

B. Then, when you turned left, tried to turn you right up the small road, to (I guess) ride two sides of a triangle and pass through the point that way.

Each time the device will autorecalculate, just as you told us it did.

The effect of a badly placed via point is magnified when a route is created in MyMap, whose mapping does not always exactly match BaseCamp / Garmin’s maps. The electronic point is fixed (it won’t move, unless you drag it physically) but the map beneath it does in a sense move or at least alter, in affect moving the electronic point.

If I am correct, then had you hit ‘skip point’ or whatever it’s called, all would very probably have been well.

Thoughts:

1. Avoid placing points (shaping or via) close to junctions.

2. Avoid using via points, until you maybe understand them better. They actually work really well in BaseCamp, as you can give them all sorts of qualities, unique to just that one point.

3. Accept that MyMap and Garmin are not the perfect bedfellows that some people claim.

4. Check everything, especially if you intend to share it with other people. And then check it again.

5. Accept that a Nav VI (whilst similar to its younger siblings) does behave differently in some regards.

6. Get to know and love BaseCamp. You clearly know how to create a route. If you can do it in MyRoute, you can do it in BaseCamp, whether on a Mac or on a PC.

:beerjug: :beer: :aidan

thanks

all a bit of a mystery

I am pretty good with the vias and use them sparingly but they are needed for some of us who meet part way into routes etc coming from a different direction. They also tell us how far lunch is away, which is very important.

its fairly obvious on the nav when I have not hit a via as I did it later on that afternoon on way home as it was placed lazily 20 feet into a field. plus i have a senna on and it announces their arrival in my ear. Easy enough to hit the skip on the nav.

yesterdays were all shaping points, it was as if it just randomly didnt recognise one and skipped it hence the short cut it created.

its not the end of the world as I create the routes so have a fair idea of where we are going from memory, I have learnt the anomalies of garmin vs tomtom mapping and that they need reconciled to save me hearing abuse at the next tea stop.

The new app and tft combo is very impressive and I would say is the end of the Garmin Bmw navs with the 6 being the last. Easy to load gpx, share and follow.

thanks for all the replies

No problem.

It’s an interesting glitch to have tripped over. Maybe it was a bizarre one off or the pixies got at your device.

Let us know if it repeats please.

If you can share a BaseCamp version of the route, that would be great.

I have sort of solved one route diversion

on taking wapings advice I went into the nav map, as you can see it should have followed the red arrows but instead the nav has decided to go down a short cut which is a path not even a road to my via point which was unfortunately placed at the other end of it.

what settings in my nav allows it to do that ?

up until now it would follow the myroute set path religiously and never deviate but in this case it saw the opportunity for a short cut and took it. Up until now course cutting would become apparent on the pc and a carefully placed shaping point would keep us to the desired route.

as for yesterdays its all looks fine on the nav, so no explanation for it yet

Attachments

• pee corner.JPG
    pee corner.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 33
I am going to guess again.

The magenta line’s total length might be a yard or two shorter than the the line 1, 2, 3.

If the device does not know that a part of the magenta line is some goat track, it will assume (not unreasonably) that like the B road it can be ridden at say 60 mph. Being a yard shorter, it’s quicker. If your device is set to ‘fastest time’ it may well chose that way to route you between two pre-selected points. Or there is maybe some misfit between the route coming down from MyMaps and the way it is rendered on your device.

Had you checked the route in BaseCamp (or created it in BaseCamp) you might well have spotted it, especially as the glitch is close by your ‘must pass through’ pee stop via point. Then you could have dragged the magenta line to take the route the way you wanted to go, then fixed it with a shaping point.

You sometimes get the same thing in towns, where the software will cut a corner, down some small alley, as it is a yard shorter. I call the little and somewhat silly detour, a Garmin feature. You might come across a similar thing in Kurviger, when set to twisty roads. The suggested route may see you taken off a perfectly sensible straight road, to detour into some extended lay-by, as the Kurviger algorithm reads the lay-by as a twist, which (in a sense) it is.

I cannot stress the importance of checking routes enough. This is especially true when they are created in third party software (in this case MyMap) and loaded straight onto a device, missing out BaseCamp entirely. Even when they start life in BaseCamp, check them on your home computer and again when they are loaded onto the GPS device. It is easier and a lot less frustrating to spot and mend a problem when you are at home, rather than scratching ones head miles away, wondering why the device is doing something odd.

I have done you some playing around DR268, not least as I am intrigued by the problem.

I found the village of Straw on BaseCamp and found your spot on the B47 / B162.

I then asked BaseCamp, in motorcycle mode, to give me a route from along the B162 close to little road called Corrick, via the obligatory pee stop at the crossroads, to a point on the B47 just at the Mourne river. This it did, routing me exactly as your screen shot shows, along the goat track, across the crossroads, up the B162, then left on another goat track to rejoin the B47. This was a route of 6.8 miles, estimated time 0:15:15.

3f43ca4ce5935515ea9e9373db6dfc5b.jpg

I then dragged the route to follow your preferred route 1,2,3 ie up the B162, to a pee break on the crossroads, then left on the B47.

41cfd5ccc32bd088f6b9c8b8196aa6d2.jpg

This resulted in a route of 6.8 miles but taking 0:10:38.

This confused me as I have BaseCamp set to give me the fastest time A to B. Clearly the second route is five minutes faster than the first, so why didn’t BaseCamp give it to me the first time of asking?

I then changed my preference setting in motorcycle mode, to exclude narrow trails. It still routed me the slower way.

I then changed the mode to RV, which should bring in the avoidance of minor roads automatically. Bingo! It followed the 1,2,3 roads exactly, 6.8 miles in 0:16:59

199ad8c5dd8c67c38d5fe4d83e5d3ca6.jpg

Switching into car mode, routed me the slower way, as did every other mode, bar RV.

Conclusion:

1. I am at loss to understand why the BaseCamp software takes the slower route over the same distance.

2. There is nothing wrong with your Nav VI, that I can see.

2. My only thought is that, over that short stretch there is a glitch in the mapping or the algorithm.

3. The glitch is repeated in the Nav VI.

4. Had I been creating the route for myself, I’d like to think that I would have spotted the glitch and edited it out; probably without giving it much thought as to why it had happened. If nothing else, that supports my mantra of checking all routes carefully.

I have saved the route, as I think the glitch needs to be reported to Garmin.

If anyone else has some ideas or better still a fix for the glitch, sing up, please.

Richard

PS Here's the Garmin file, saved to Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ozfts6c6n7ikdl/dr268.gpx?dl=0 if anyone wants to play around with it.

I have done you some playing around DR268, not least as I am intrigued by the problem.

I found the village of Straw on BaseCamp and found your spot on the B47 / B162.

I then asked BaseCamp, in motorcycle mode, to give me a route from along the B162 close to little road called Corrick, via the obligatory pee stop at the crossroads, to a point on the B47 just at the Mourne river. This it did, routing me exactly as your screen shot shows, along the goat track, across the crossroads, up the B162, then left on another goat track to rejoin the B47. This was a route of 6.8 miles, estimated time 0:15:15.

3f43ca4ce5935515ea9e9373db6dfc5b.jpg

I then dragged the route to follow your preferred route 1,2,3 ie up the B162, to a pee break on the crossroads, then left on the B47.

41cfd5ccc32bd088f6b9c8b8196aa6d2.jpg

This resulted in a route of 6.8 miles but taking 0:10:38.

This confused me as I have BaseCamp set to give me the fastest time A to B. Clearly the second route is five minutes faster than the first, so why didn’t BaseCamp give it to me the first time of asking?

I then changed my preference setting in motorcycle mode, to exclude narrow trails. It still routed me the slower way.

I then changed the mode to RV, which should bring in the avoidance of minor roads automatically. Bingo! It followed the 1,2,3 roads exactly, 6.8 miles in 0:16:59

199ad8c5dd8c67c38d5fe4d83e5d3ca6.jpg

Switching into car mode, routed me the slower way, as did every other mode, bar RV.

Conclusion:

1. I am at loss to understand why the BaseCamp software takes the slower route over the same distance.

2. There is nothing wrong with your Nav VI, that I can see.

2. My only thought is that, over that short stretch there is a glitch in the mapping or the algorithm.

3. The glitch is repeated in the Nav VI.

4. Had I been creating the route for myself, I’d like to think that I would have spotted the glitch and edited it out; probably without giving it much thought as to why it had happened. If nothing else, that supports my mantra of checking all routes carefully.

I have saved the route, as I think the glitch needs to be reported to Garmin.

If anyone else has some ideas or better still a fix for the glitch, sing up, please.

Richard

PS Here's the Garmin file, saved to Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ozfts6c6n7ikdl/dr268.gpx?dl=0 if anyone wants to play around with it.

thanks for that,

at least I wasn't going mad

I will in future check against the nav map

My NAV 6 started doing this last weekend. I think the the Nav software hasbeen updated and I cnalt find how to stop it. This is what I posted earlier on the NAV6 page.
New function? Alternative but unwanted route offered
My Garmin 6 has just started a new trend.
Some background... I plot a route using My Route App and upload to the Nav6. The upload creates a Route and a Track. The route is comprised of all the waypoints and if I use this route, the Nav6 will decide how it routes me from point to point. Since I don't want this I always create a route fromt the track and then there's just 2 waypoints, the start and finish and the route will take me on the exact roads I plotted using my computer.
On Sunday I was following a route from a track, as usual, and the Nav changed the blue track line to a left turn instead of right, which I knew was the correct direction. I had to reload my route and carry on. The Nav did this several times on my ride and I eventually spotted a new icon with two arrows on it. I pressed the icon and got a split screen with my route and a new one that the Nav had decided was a better choice; not in my opinion though! It appears that the new route that it decides upon is the dafault.
The Nav6 has never done this before and I can't find out why. Any ideas? I do have prompt for off route selected.
Cheers
Gaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom