Unable to calculate a route on macOS

Thank you SO much for your help. The only 3 factors we can't rule out then are:

1. Big Sur 11.3 (or above)
2. Something in my BasCamp setup (I have reset everything to default)
3. User error/stupidity

Given that 11.3 will be the latest release version imminently it'll be interesting to see if it breaks for others as well. In the mean time I might remove it again and go digging for any lingering files that might be lurking in macOS for BaseCamp like plists and stuff. I did a quick hurried video of what I see here:

Apologies for the somewhat scatty voiceover, I was trying to balance work and this at the same time.

Thanks for the video. That is very odd, as it certainly doesn’t seem to recalculate.

I think it is normal behaviour because if you open the route detail window you can add more waypoints (even thought that is a loop). So it autoselects the tool.
I think what you are experiencing is a bug that could be a combination of OS/Baecamp.
Wapping wich version of MacOS are you running?

Peejay, easier to create routes with the "route" tool: the three green dots connected by lines one.
I'll make a small video, like yours, I'll just spare you guys my voice :D

I just did a quick test:
creating both in motorcycling mode and direct and then turning to motorcycling routing.

You can see the "speed" bug I get if I use 2D map mode Vs 3D map mode (way quicker).
I do have a very big display set at 4k running on an unusual setup (external GPU) but BC is the only software I use having issues.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yAdCAA84oJE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have current workaround for now, Parallels with Windows 10 ARM build and BaseCamp for Windows. Works more reliably than BaseCamp for Mac has for a while (for me at least).

It worked fine in my Mac/basecamp too. The straight lines were a route, that didn't calculate properly. The correct profile was a track, which I just converted back to a route and it worked fine

I have opened up your file (thanks for sharing it, it really helps) using an iPad and Pocket Earth Pro.

The route is there, all proper and correct. However, as is common some other data ‘leaks through’ as can be seen in the straight lines. You’ll notice that the straight lines are exactly the same as those shown in er-minio’s screenshot.

ae2b33df57a92ac45f29e54821569cc8.png

I can usually edit the straight lines out very easily with one click in Pocket Earth Pro...... and Bingo!.....

f1f1afcbdf7be151868ac8d4e1feae5f.png

Somewhat oddly, Pocket Earth Pro and an iPad are sometimes better at displaying third party GPX routes than my powerful Mac and BaseCamp.

The odd thing is that Paul08 can get your route to display in BaseCamp whilst er-minio cannot. I’ll have a go later.

PS Nice route, even so.

It worked fine in my Mac/basecamp too. The straight lines were a route, that didn't calculate properly. The correct profile was a track, which I just converted back to a route and it worked fine

Indeed, the straight lines are a route in ‘direct’ mode. The track is the data to use. Conversion of the track into a route works perfectly, this time around. It doesn’t always, particularly when the person who created the track, goes down a one way street the wrong way.

Anyway, since I complain that Basecamp is buggy as hell (was ok last year), this is my experience trying to plot routes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IhAocpXqijM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What worse is that the routes, when imported on the zumo, don’t work (lots of straight lines going in every direction) because the map files are different.

Back
Top Bottom