Unable to calculate a route on macOS

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really hope I'm not going completely insane. Haven't used BaseCamp for a while and I am starting to build some routes for Austria in August (on the assumption it goes ahead) but I've hit a problem. I downloaded a GPX file from Kurviger which the hotel we are staying in recommended, imported it into BaseCamp and all the waypoints are there, as is the route and the track.

If I....

1. Right-click on the route and choose "Recalculate" it just pops up the route info box with the waypoints.
2. Change the route type from Direct to Motorcycling, nothing happens and choosing Recalculate does nothing.
3. Make a new route within BaseCamp using 2 waypoints, I get the same behaviour.

I tried removing BaseCamp and installing the App Store version but no change.

I repeated these steps on my Windows machine and it worked as expected with both the downloaded GPX and making a fresh route.

Any ideas?

Thanks

That is very odd behaviour. But I am not sure if it’s a problem with the Kurviger route (it happens) or with BaseCamp.

Can you share the route with us, please. We can then see if we can replicate your problem and try to help to mend it.

That being said, if the route is there, why do you want to recalculate it?

As Wapping said.
Also: which version of MacOs are you using?

I'm planning some routes on Basecamp these days using Big Sur, and it is pretty buggy.

That is very odd behaviour. But I am not sure if it’s a problem with the Kurviger route (it happens) or with BaseCamp.

Can you share the route with us, please. We can then see if we can replicate your problem and try to help to mend it.

That being said, if the route is there, why do you want to recalculate it?

Will upload it and share here in a sec. When I import it on macOS the pink lines are point to point as the crow flies, whereas on the PC on importing it does the same thing as it's set to "Direct" but as soon as I change the route to Motorcycling it automatically calculates the route for me which the Mac isn't doing, regardless of whether I Recalculate or change the vehicle profile.

As above I don't think it's the Kurviger route as when I add 2 new waypoints by clicking the map and creating a route from them, it's just a point to point pink line and nothing I do actually seems to make it calculate the route for me.

Here is the GPX file.

Attachments

• Hotel Weisseespitze - 1.zip
    82 KB · Views: 27
I downloaded some of the Black Forest routes from a german mag using Tourcodes in Kurviger. (The routes posted by Wapping fro Black Forest, Vosges & Alsace)

The routes pop up in Kurviger and I selected to export them as .gpx files and selected to download the Waypoints too. They downloaded to the 'Downloads' folder on my Mac

I then opened Basecamp and selected the import function.

The routes import as straight lines between the Waypoints. This is because they import with the 'Activity' selected as 'Direct', rather than 'Motorcycling' or 'Driving'.

Double click on the route in the lefthand column, and this opens the pop up window with the route details.

In this window, go to the top right hand corner and select the 'Motorcycling' Activity.

The route should then automatically recalculate and show a route than actually follows the roads on the map.

(BTW I am using Big Sur OS11.2.3 and Basecamp 4.8.11)

I downloaded some of the Black Forest routes from a german mag using Tourcodes in Kurviger. (The routes posted by Wapping fro Black Forest, Vosges & Alsace)

The routes pop up in Kurviger and I selected to export them as .gpx files and selected to download the Waypoints too. They downloaded to the 'Downloads' folder on my Mac

I then opened Basecamp and selected the import function.

The routes import as straight lines between the Waypoints. This is because they import with the 'Activity' selected as 'Direct', rather than 'Motorcycling' or 'Driving'.

Double click on the route in the lefthand column, and this opens the pop up window with the route details.

In this window, go to the top right hand corner and select the 'Motorcycling' Activity.

The route should then automatically recalculate and show a route than actually follows the roads on the map.

(BTW I am using Big Sur OS11.2.3 and Basecamp 4.8.11)

Just done this with your route, and it recalcs as a Motorcycling activity route just fine

Big Sur then.

My Basecamp doesn't recalculate it. Motorcycling settings.

basecamprecalc.gif

Thanks all, I've just upgraded to 11.4 Beta 1 and still the same. Thanks for confirming!

Here is the GPX file.

I have opened up your file (thanks for sharing it, it really helps) using an iPad and Pocket Earth Pro.

The route is there, all proper and correct. However, as is common some other data ‘leaks through’ as can be seen in the straight lines. You’ll notice that the straight lines are exactly the same as those shown in er-minio’s screenshot.

ae2b33df57a92ac45f29e54821569cc8.png

I can usually edit the straight lines out very easily with one click in Pocket Earth Pro...... and Bingo!.....

f1f1afcbdf7be151868ac8d4e1feae5f.png

Somewhat oddly, Pocket Earth Pro and an iPad are sometimes better at displaying third party GPX routes than my powerful Mac and BaseCamp.

The odd thing is that Paul08 can get your route to display in BaseCamp whilst er-minio cannot. I’ll have a go later.

PS Nice route, even so.

I have opened up your file (thanks for sharing it, it really helps) using an iPad and Pocket Earth Pro.

Thanks Wapping, really appreciate the help! It certainly looks to have been broken by the latest BigSur update, for my work I annoyingly have to have the Dev Beta's installed so it's nice to see that someone else can replicate it (er-minio) I assume he is on the 11.3 RC too.

I think I'll stick to using BaseCamp on my somewhat slow Windows machine as I can't really blame BaseCamp when I'm running a pre-release version of macOS.

And that Pocket Earth Pro app looks bloody amazing! Makes me wish I hadn't got rid of my iPad now......

PS Nice route, even so.

Thanks, it's one of 15 recommended routes by the hotel we have booked, just hope things pan out and we can manage to get away as planned. We managed it last year by some small miracle.

that someone else can replicate it (er-minio) I assume he is on the 11.3 RC too

No, no release candidate here, standard Big Sur release: 11.2.3.

I can't really blame BaseCamp when I'm running a pre-release version of macOS

You can.
I'm running normal O/S and I'm obliged to use the dreaded 3D view otherwise map refresh times are so long that render the app unusable.
Most of the UI is mildly broken, lists are semi-hidden and crap like that.

Il try again with your waypoints later tonight.
I had some similar behaviour yesterday on a route I was creating manually, but it worked ok when it recalculated.

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3
Basecamp 4.8.11

The supplied download was a track which converted to motorcycle route.

2fda3ad50b57dfdfb5b84e110201813f.jpg

It looks ok to me. Good luck,

Neil

Thanks Wapping, really appreciate the help! It certainly looks to have been broken by the latest BigSur update, for my work I annoyingly have to have the Dev Beta's installed so it's nice to see that someone else can replicate it (er-minio) I assume he is on the 11.3 RC too.

I think I'll stick to using BaseCamp on my somewhat slow Windows machine as I can't really blame BaseCamp when I'm running a pre-release version of macOS.

And that Pocket Earth Pro app looks bloody amazing! Makes me wish I hadn't got rid of my iPad now......

No problem at all.

I have done some playing around with some maybe surprising results.

Pocket Earth Pro is very good. I use it a lot for displaying routes I have downloaded from various sources, where it works really well.

I am running:

BaseCamp Version 4.8.11

Mac Big Sur Version 11.2.3

Which, as far as I know, are both fully up-to-date.

I downloaded peejay's route (thank you again for sharing that, as it's so much easier)

It displayed much as I thought it might, the track in grey and the 'direct' route between the viapoints as straight magenta lines.

89e9f658f332c76539921a9e3a5853df.jpg

I then coloured the track green, just to make it stand out.

I asked BaseCamp to 'Get Info' on the route and could see (as expected) that the mode was 'Direct'.

745a33d6adb8ddff5e36cd9ea4f685e1.png

I changed the mode from 'Direct' to 'Motorcycling', which it did and made the obvious and inevitable recalculation.

22c96dc21198085f86b0e611578f9564.png

The end result was a magenta route that (near enough) matched the green track.

6c95961762fdc4b5520419f1715d300f.png

There are, not unexpectedly some variations, which are simply down to my personal preference settings. For example, as I have most of the routing preferences turned off, it will route me down a motorway if that is fastest way, as you can see here:

56162a934a4099b97c08b5b21ed3400f.jpg

These differences I could fine tune out by dragging the magenta line over the green line or leave them, depending on my whim. Or I could have BaseCamp edit them out, simply by changing my preference setting to avoid motorways. I leave the preferences set 'my way' to off, as it saves me having to remember what it is I might have changed and then scream when the bloody thing obeys my (forgotten) instruction to avoid all motorways and refuses to take me down the M20.

Conclusions:

1. The route is fine, I have proved that on two independent pieces of software on two different machines.

2. The track is fine.

3. BaseCamp version 4.8.11 is fine.

3. Big Sur version 11.2.3 seems OK.

I can’t understand why er-minio’s Mac refuses to allow a recalculation change when changing the mode from ‘direct’ to ‘motorcycling’ when mine and apparently Paul08’s does, very willingly. To recheck, I switched it back to ‘direct’, then back into ‘motorcycling’. Each time it behaved itself perfectly.

I can’t understand why er-minio’s Mac refuses to allow a recalculation change when changing the mode from ‘direct’ to ‘motorcycling’ when mine and apparently Paul08’s does, very willingly. To recheck, I switched it back to ‘direct’, then back into ‘motorcycling’. Each time it behaved itself perfectly.

You are correct Richard.
I didn't notice but the route settings was left on "direct". I should have spotted the arrow icon in the list.

Problem solved.

I stand by my comments about the bugginess of BaseCamp on BigSur, hoping on an upgrade from Garmin. I really dislike having to use the 3D view. :D
Unless we have a solution for that too!

I am not having to use the 3D view, Emilio. It really does seem to work OK, as I have been creating some very long routes, right into the Ukraine.

There was the well publicised glitch, after a Garmin update (not a Mac update) which rendered BaseCamp unreliable on a Mac and would only work in 3D. But that was quite a few months ago. It was fixed within a few days via a patch.

Thanks, I'm using basecamp on my MacBook pro and works ok with 2D view.
On the desktop Mac (faster than this) it is unusable. I'll check again tomorrow which version is which (app store or downloaded from Garmin) on each computer.

Back
Top Bottom