Which Optimate?

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after winters standstill in the garage, the bikes had dropped their battery levels beyond ability to start the bikes. Covid and general winter riding reasons...

Both mine and wife’s R9T have had their batteries topped up once every so often using REC battery charger. However, due to the fact that garage hasn’t got a permanent power supply running to it, I couldn’t leave extension lead running from the house up to it for the duration of the winter. Wife’s bike only took about 1 hour to trickle charge it and it started. My 1290 SAS had to be started with a portable booster, but it seem that it used the electronically adjustable rear shock, throwing up a warning of preload adjuster. Meaning the braking that operates it, gone into brain fart mode. Spoke to the dealer, and was advised to replace the battery to start with, then bring bike in, to connect it to a mothership in order to reset the shock parameters. Basically rear shocker got stuck in Rider and Luggage preload. Annoying but hey-ho. It is still more than rideable, and other than a warning message upon a startup and an amber warning triangle on the dash.

Now, I am to rectify power supply issue to the garage this year, before winter, so that both bikes can be tended to by optimate.
I was fortunate enough to be given some 50m of armoured cable from a building site that was coming to a completion. the cable lived outside for just over a year and naturally has got some outer damage on the outside in places. It was supplying a power to a 110v site transformer. A little bit of cosmetic repair and it’ll be just fine.

Question is, which optimate do I buy? I can see loads of different ones on their website, but it is all calligraphy to me.
I know BMW can charge via Din socket, and mine will need either a Din socket installing or running plug tail connected directly to the battery terminals. I would rather have a duo charger instead of independent for each bike, but happy to listen to what experts got to say before I purchase a wrong thing entirely.

Many thanks

EV

So after winters standstill in the garage, the bikes had dropped their battery levels beyond ability to start the bikes. Covid and general winter riding reasons...

Both mine and wife’s R9T have had their batteries topped up once every so often using REC battery charger. However, due to the fact that garage hasn’t got a permanent power supply running to it, I couldn’t leave extension lead running from the house up to it for the duration of the winter. Wife’s bike only took about 1 hour to trickle charge it and it started. My 1290 SAS had to be started with a portable booster, but it seem that it used the electronically adjustable rear shock, throwing up a warning of preload adjuster. Meaning the braking that operates it, gone into brain fart mode. Spoke to the dealer, and was advised to replace the battery to start with, then bring bike in, to connect it to a mothership in order to reset the shock parameters. Basically rear shocker got stuck in Rider and Luggage preload. Annoying but hey-ho. It is still more than rideable, and other than a warning message upon a startup and an amber warning triangle on the dash.

Now, I am to rectify power supply issue to the garage this year, before winter, so that both bikes can be tended to by optimate.
I was fortunate enough to be given some 50m of armoured cable from a building site that was coming to a completion. the cable lived outside for just over a year and naturally has got some outer damage on the outside in places. It was supplying a power to a 110v site transformer. A little bit of cosmetic repair and it’ll be just fine.

Question is, which optimate do I buy? I can see loads of different ones on their website, but it is all calligraphy to me.
I know BMW can charge via Din socket, and mine will need either a Din socket installing or running plug tail connected directly to the battery terminals. I would rather have a duo charger instead of independent for each bike, but happy to listen to what experts got to say before I purchase a wrong thing entirely.

Many thanks

EV

I put flying leads in all my machines and rotate my seven year old optimate charger as and when. No need for a new fangled charger especially for canbus etc so a basic one will do just fine.

That way a bike stays charged but isn’t being topped up 24/7/365 which IMHO isn’t necessary or perhaps healthy. (Cue views to the contrary)

If you don't have electricity, and if you have access to the garage roof, consider the (still Optimate) Solar route.
I've been keeping my bikes connected to an Optimate each and I had zero issues. The GS has been connected (when parked) for almost 2 years now I think.

Remember also: keeping batteries discharged is what kills them.

Many thanks

EV

I really do need to turn the stupid predictive text off on my phone. It makes no sense what I typed out.

If you don't have electricity, and if you have access to the garage roof, consider the (still Optimate) Solar route.
I've been keeping my bikes connected to an Optimate each and I had zero issues. The GS has been connected (when parked) for almost 2 years now I think.

Remember also: keeping batteries discharged is what kills them.

Now there is an idea. My garage though is situated in the shaded corner of the garden and does only get the direct sun in the afternoon onward.

Mine gets direct sun only for a few hours a day.
In winter it is even worse, but it works (I have other solar powered stuff as well, where I can actually see the difference of solar coming in).

Slow charging batteries is good.

Buy one charger and an extra fly lead as already stated above. Rotate the charger between the 2 bikes, but only if unused for a period of time. This period will vary depending on the parasitic load from alarms, immobilisers and any keyless system pinging for a transponder.

optimates are fine, I have an Optimate 4 bought used form here but they are expensive compared with other very good brands such as Ctek and Noco.

Halfords sell Noco and this would be a good buy https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...asafe-0.75a-smart-battery-charger-436270.html

I leave my gs permanently connected to an Optimate 4 with fly lead connected to battery terminals when it is in the garage.
No idea if this is right or wrong but it works for me. Almost 10 years now doing this on the same battery and it has never given me a moments trouble

Buy one charger and an extra fly lead as already stated above. Rotate the charger between the 2 bikes, but only if unused for a period of time. This period will vary depending on the parasitic load from alarms, immobilisers and any keyless system pinging for a transponder.

optimates are fine, I have an Optimate 4 bought used form here but they are expensive compared with other very good brands such as Ctek and Noco.

Halfords sell Noco and this would be a good buy https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...asafe-0.75a-smart-battery-charger-436270.html

Thank you for the info.
I had a look at that noco, but can’t help and think that it is no different to my RAC unit that needs access to a battery terminals. The work around wife’s R9T battery access, was to connect positive lead to a starter motor and ground to any other bare bolt close by. Not so easy on my KTM, but then again, battery lives directly under the seat.

Aren’t these Optimate supposed to be “clever” regardless his long they are plugged in for. I do not go into the garage on the daily basis in the summer let alone winter. Hence why I was interested in duo chargers. Two leads for each bike, plug it in and forget about it until I need to use it again.

I leave my gs permanently connected to an Optimate 4 with fly lead connected to battery terminals when it is in the garage.
No idea if this is right or wrong but it works for me. Almost 10 years now doing this on the same battery and it has never given me a moments trouble

That is what I feel like doing. I do not want to be married to the bikes. They need to serve a purpose when I need them. Not decide I fancy a fun day out and can’t start the bugger cause I forgot to rotate the charging lead from bike to bike or some other bull**** reason.

Mine gets direct sun only for a few hours a day.
In winter it is even worse, but it works (I have other solar powered stuff as well, where I can actually see the difference of solar coming in).

Slow charging batteries is good.

Sounds good. Seem you fo not need direct sunlight for it to work.

er-minio’s solution is definitely best for a garage with no mains power.

He’s done an excellent write up on how to do it.

Obviously, the more and stronger sunlight the cells receive, the better. But light is energy, whichever way you chop it. Just make sure the kids don’t throw stones at your cells and break them.

not need direct sunlight for it to work

No, it works in partial shade as well. Obviously you'll have 0.1 amps coming up the other side when is very shady, but that is enough.
Just recently "resurrected" my HP2 that has been sitting all winter under a blanket, connected to the optimate and started without hesitation.

The write up Wapping refers to should be in this thread: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/549526-ALTERNATIVE-BATTERY-TRICKLING-POWER-SOURCE-QUERY
There is something else here: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/526631-Off-grid-garage-shed-solar-panels

My solar setup grew considerably after that thread. Would make a pikey jealous. :D

Just as a side note, Optimate also sells pretty cheap DC to DC battery tenders.
Those are interesting if you, like me, end up having solar batteries in your shed for general electricity use. It would have been cheaper than the solars ;) but hey, I discovered those only recently.

....Just make sure the kids don’t throw stones at your cells and break them.

That Richard is the problem. My garage is up against the brick boundary wall. With 6’ wide grass verge on the other side, adjacent to it is a public footpath, carrying school traffic twice a day, five days a week. Plus there are weekend and evening yobs. The side the solar panel would go on, would have to be the one facing the patch. The alternative is to mount it elsewhere in the garden and run the lead to a garage.

That Richard is the problem. My garage is up against the brick boundary wall. With 6’ wide grass verge on the other side, adjacent to it is a public footpath, carrying school traffic twice a day, five days a week. Plus there are weekend and evening yobs. The side the solar panel would go on, would have to be the one facing the patch. The alternative is to mount it elsewhere in the garden and run the lead to a garage.

You want a short a cable as possible. The voltage drops, the longer the cable is. The only way to get around this, is to up the size of the cable. Could the solar panel be mounted directly on the roof?

....Could the solar panel be mounted directly on the roof?

Yes it can, but in full view of the passing little shits if I wanted to benefit from most of the sun. My garden is south facing, but I’ve got 40’ conifers blocking the sun and council property housing vulnerable customers. No it isn’t a mental institution. Just the right sort of property arrangement for them to live there. Wife planted these conifers some 25 years ago (way before we met) for some privacy, and they got out of hand quite quickly. I have been tempted to chop them down and start again, with something a bit less acidic, as third of the garden does not get any sun, nothing grow there and part of the lawn is in constant shade. In winter times about 60% of the lawn is in the shade. Meaning every year I got moss challenge on my hands to deal with.

The only thing that is stopping me from chopping the trees is the fact that we have birds nesting in there and squirrels use it as a highway to get to places.

This is the picture of the garden taken this morning (moments ago) you can see the garage in the far right corner.

96732625666e24f1403c893a0392169a.jpg

No, it works in partial shade as well. Obviously you'll have 0.1 amps coming up the other side when is very shady, but that is enough.
Just recently "resurrected" my HP2 that has been sitting all winter under a blanket, connected to the optimate and started without hesitation.

The write up Wapping refers to should be in this thread: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/549526-ALTERNATIVE-BATTERY-TRICKLING-POWER-SOURCE-QUERY
There is something else here: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/526631-Off-grid-garage-shed-solar-panels

My solar setup grew considerably after that thread. Would make a pikey jealous. :D

Just as a side note, Optimate also sells pretty cheap DC to DC battery tenders.
Those are interesting if you, like me, end up having solar batteries in your shed for general electricity use. It would have been cheaper than the solars ;) but hey, I discovered those only recently.

Thanks for the links. But my brain has become frazzled, from reading all the terminology.

My needs are:

Being able to have a couple of sockets, to power chargers, air compressor, pressure washer etc, possibly a dehumidifier.

Led “tube” Lighting inside.

That is about it.

Being able to have a couple of sockets, to power chargers, air compressor, pressure washer etc, possibly a dehumidifier.

Get mains for that.
To store enough energy to run an humidifier (~250W) 24/7 especially in winter, in the shade, it would require a solid investment in materials.
Mains = easier/cheaper.

Get mains for that.
To store enough energy to run an humidifier (~250W) 24/7 especially in winter, in the shade, it would require a solid investment in materials.
Mains = easier/cheaper.

That is what I though. Especially as I already have got the cable and a small garage consumer unit. Just need to purchase sockets, lighting and wiring it all up to the consumer unit inside the house.

Back
Top Bottom