Nav V and BaseCamp throwing up a problem

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a(n) issue this weekend when using routes in Basecamp. On 2 separate routes, I had prepped the routes in Basecamp using shaping points, then inexplicably the nav unit completely ignored the shaping points and went another road. The first time it happened, I stopped and exited the route, then reselected it, and it resolved and directed where I wanted it to go. On the second route I just ignored it as was fairly familiar roads (I never set to auto recalculate). I have checked the routes in Basecamp, and the shaping points are where I want them. Very strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
check all the points on the route, and zoom right in to do it.
if any are slightly off the road it throws a wobbler.

also when on the route, if a point is slightly off, you wont clear it as you ride past and the sat-nav starts with the "Do a U-turn" crap.
i use basecamp now, and check and double check routes. I try to get away with as little points i can to avoid issues.

To be fair to the garmin unit, i have experienced the same on a tomtom rider i had also previously.

That is very odd.

Which GPS device are you using, Becksy?

It's a Nav V, very weird, going to add a few more shaping points and see what happened.

@Barnoe, they're shaping points, not way points, but will check if there are any off the route. I know that when dragging the rout when zoomed out it can look like they are exactly on the road, but when you zoom in there are not on the road, but just off to the side. (Maybe that could be the reason).

I am not sure what you mean by, the device ignored the shaping points?

The device and indeed BaseCamp can only join up places that are defined by: A, the start, B, the end and any points told to it in between. If you think you placed a shaping point at one spot but in fact it was placed at another, it will still join the places up, just not as you expected or thought they would be joined.

A classic example would be plonking a shaping point on the wrong carriageway of a motorway.

If the settings are not identical on the device and Basecamp then the route might well be altered to suit the settings on the device

A small edit.

It doesn’t necessarily happen every time. It depends on a number of factors, not least, the alternative roads available. It is though definitely best practice to have the preference settings matching, especially if you do a lot of bespoke route creation on your home computer.

Apols, I am hijacking this post. The device literally ignores the shaping points. For example, I was riding up through Bucks on the A413 to go via Buckingham and on to Brackley. I have a shaping point on the A422 to take me to Brackley on that road. The Nav V wanted to direct me up the A421 instead. It's no big deal in this case, I know the roads and was using the Nav for convenience and took the A422 anyway, but it's weird.

Can you share the BaseCamp route with us, please.

If I had to guess, it’s something to do with your device’s settings and / or some sort of recalculation (obviously) taking place. The why is the interesting question.

Here you can see two photos from the screen in Nav V. The first photo shows the route in preview, from Trip Planner, Select Route then the Map preview. This shows the shaping points placed using Basecamp, 1 just south of Banbury and 2 just south of Bicester.

The second photo is the route as plotted on the Nav after selecting Go. As you can see the route completely ignores the shaping points.

Attachments

• PXL_20210430_070107359.jpg
    PXL_20210430_070107359.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 162
  • PXL_20210430_070327882.jpg
    PXL_20210430_070327882.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 157
Before you got as far as the screen with ‘Go’, which destination did you select when your device offered you a choice? Start? End? Something else?

When you made that choice and then selected ‘Go’, where were you in relation to the route? At the start, somewhere in the middle, miles away from either?

In other words, please describe your actions (use screen shots, please) leading up to the ‘Go’ screen shown above.

Thank you.

PS I am having a small bet with myself that you selected your end destination.

Ah OK, I did select my end destination. The choices are either the end destination or the start point, which is where I was. I have no way points between the start and end, just shaping points. What else am I supposed to select?
(When I got to Banbury I stopped, cancelled the route, selected the destination and it routed OK from that point).

I won my own bet.

Welcome to learning how the device operates, glad you can join us.

More later.

When you commenced your route, you were offered ‘start’ and ‘end’. The logical choice of course is ‘end’. If though you are not standing on the route, say you were a few hundred yards (or more) off - or maybe if your start point is behind you - and selected ‘end’, the device will do exactly what you have told it to do, complying with your preference settings. In other words, it will take you, from wherever you are standing, to the end. Depending on your settings and, to a degree the choice of roads available, that may be along the roads you wanted to take or (as you have seen) maybe not.

Had you been standing on the route (just as you maybe were when you restarted the device later) then it is quite possible that the device would have routed you correctly. Or, from where you were standing at Banbury, the only way to get to your end destination, just happened to be along the magenta line of your plotted route shown in the first picture in post #10

attachment.php

There are lots of posts on the topic and the inevitable assorted websites. The simplest tip is:

A. You know where you will start from.

B. About a mile or so from there, place an announced via point (ie a point you have told the device you must go through) on the road you want to go along.

C. From there onwards, place the unannounced shaping points, right through to the end point.

On start up you will then be offered:

Start, the via point and the end point. Three choices, not two. Choose the via point. The device will take you to the via point and automatically (with no more additional input from you) will run the route you created so lovingly, from there, right to the end.

There are other ways of course but this one is pretty simple and reliable.

Ok thanks. Makes no sense though as I was at the start on the route when I selected the destination. Also, it doesn’t make this error (for that is what it is) consistently, sometimes it routes properly straight from the start. However, a quirk of the system and a good point of note, I will set an announced point a hundred yards or so from my start point in future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It maybe routes correctly from the start, when there are no alternative roads to select, that match your preference settings.

Another useful tip is to look at the estimated time / distance for the route you know to be correct and that proffered up by the device. If they differ greatly, then you’ll know something is awry. You can also look at the route’s outline, before you push Go. In the examples you gave us in post #10, you can see they are vastly different, so don’t hit Go.

All’s well that ends well.

Becksy, another work around you can use is the equivalent of the old, ‘Please navigate to highlighted route’ instruction.

To do this, fire up your device, displaying your correct bespoke route but do not press Go. Your screen will display your bike’s position and your correct route. Ride to meet the magenta line and point your bike in the correct direction along it. Now press Go. All should be well.

Thanks Wapping!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you do it, you’ll find that whilst you are navigating towards the magenta line, the map will not scroll. Drag it by hand as you go along. It’s a bit like operating a mobile phone on the move but, like speeding, it doesn’t count.

Make your first Shaping point a waypoint (keep it unannounced) and then when you activate the route and the Nav asks you where you want to go first use the "waypoint" as a directional instruction to start the route - this way it shouldnt matter if you are before the route starts or on the route you will follow the route planned.

Back
Top Bottom