Updating Garmin 660 with new version 2021.20!

download the whole mapset to basecamp on your pc or mac and then send it to the sd card using basecamp. last picture shows where the tool is to do this and second picture shows where to select card and first shows whole of Europe map set selected for transfer.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Untitledz.jpg
    Untitledz.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 176
Thank you, Lee.

I was hoping that you’d step in to detail an answer. I couldn’t understand why you are able to load a full map set to a 550, when it apparently can’t be done on a 660. I think the fellow maybe failed to use MapInstall.

Logically, you should be able to store all sorts of different maps to an SD card, for instance Open Street Map, alongside Garmin maps and chose which to use on demand, simply by selecting them from the device’s menu.

Yes Richard no problems installing different map sets to the sd card along with music, audio books, or as you say OSM map tiles, all doable just knowing how to do it that takes a little learning.

You cannot put the full euro map on it regardless of the size of the sad card installed. I’ve been through all this with Garmin recently. They admitted that the 660 cannot handle the full map set so is essentially no longer updatable for a full euro map.

Funnily enough on a US forum Garmin admitted that it cannot be done as they no longer offer full support for older devices , they get round the question of lifetime maps by basically saying the maps are available but only in little bits

if all of it does not fit, either use the segments you need or split across two sd cards, or maybe purchase a unit that allows the install of a complete map set if funds allow.

if all of it does not fit, either use the segments you need or split across two sd cards, or maybe purchase a unit that allows the install of a complete map set if funds allow.

I have a Nav 6 which does just that BUT less than 10 months ago my 660 with the same 32gb memory card accepted the full maps for Europe with absolutely no issues and as far as I am aware Europe hasn't got any bigger since then

I have a Nav 6 which does just that BUT less than 10 months ago my 660 with the same 32gb memory card accepted the full maps for Europe with absolutely no issues and as far as I am aware Europe hasn't got any bigger since then

yes same for me but the last update has taken it over the size limit. but you are right europe has not altered much since then.

You cannot put the full euro map on it regardless of the size of the sad card installed. I’ve been through all this with Garmin recently. They admitted that the 660 cannot handle the full map set so is essentially no longer updatable for a full euro map.

Er yes you can, following the method above I have just done so. Garmin say it cant be done because they will only guarantee that a 6gb card will work in the 660 where as you can use a 32, they also say it for the new Zumo but mine has a 128 card in as that is all I had spare to use.
you must format the card fist and you CANNOT use windows to format it, you have to use a third party formatting program

yes same for me but the last update has taken it over the size limit. but you are right europe has not altered much since then.

I agree that the physical land mass of Europe has not altered. What has though increased is the detail contained within the maps themselves. I assume that to use such wonders as ‘windy roads’ the maps have to contain additional data on the roads themselves, for the algorithms to pick up on.

Er yes you can, following the method above I have just done so. Garmin say it cant be done because they will only guarantee that a 6gb card will work in the 660 where as you can use a 32, they also say it for the new Zumo but mine has a 128 card in as that is all I had spare to use.
you must format the card fist and you CANNOT use windows to format it, you have to use a third party formatting program

Tell me more about the formatting programme please. Incidentally, I did mine on a MacBook.

Thank you for the news, even if it seems to be the reverse of the experience of other owners. Just so bods are clear, is this the way it’s done for a 660:

A. Take a new SD card of 32 gb.

B. Use third party software (can you give and example please) to format the card to (please advise the format to be used).

C. Use the method shown in post #19 to load the latest full set of Western Europe maps to the SD card in the 660.

D. The 660 will then read and display the full set of maps.

Cheers,

Richard

As Richard has said above i would also be interested in what piece of software you used, and what file system was used during the format of the card. using exfat or fat32 i get the same results (file size to big) that was using AOMEI partition assistant to format.
Results shown below, note the first pic shows it working with the mapset NT 2021.1 but not with the latest mapset NT 2021.2

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 247
its if you want to use a card bigger than 32gb, windows has a max size of 32gb if formatting to fat32 using windows, there are a number of free bits of software to format cards greater than 32gb on windows using fat32 without the limit built into windows.

Does your method, using third party formatting software and an SD card (formatted to FAT32) allow the latest version of Garmin’s whole of Western Europe map * to be installed and run on a 660 device?

Yes or no?

:beerjug:

* Apparently this is NT 2021.2

good question, I think I was loading 2021.1 however I formatted to fat32 a 64gb card and there is more than sufficient space on the card to put what ever you like on

Thanks.

Does the method work using NT 2021.2

If you haven’t tried, can you give it a go, please.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom