Three times in the last year I’ve test ridden a GS1200 and three times...

Max-GS12

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...I’ve thought hmmm, it’s ‘nice’ but not exactly ‘wow’ that’s got some character and the fun factor.

These were all LC models from 14 to 17. And the gearboxes seemed worse than my old Landies, clutches seemed digital too, all the travel in about 3mm.

However, I love the look of the 30th anniversary late air cooled (TC?) models but have always been put off by the dry clutch. Only experience with similar is in R9T test rides and the character and clutch seems lovely in comparison, obviously I'm talking engine here not style/chassis.

Would an air cooled GS give me something the LC is missing and as a committed wet clutch user should I be wary?

I have been using dry clutches on oil head GS since 1996, riding at least 250,000 miles
Never had an issue
Your car probably has a dry clutch-do you refuse to drive it?
GS up to 2013 are fine bikes, fear not
Just do it

I thought the clutch on my '17 plate 1200 was broken until I tried another one and it was the same. My '19 plate 1250 was no better, and you're not imagining it. My current 750GS has a much more progressive clutch, not sure if it's because it is cable operated rather than hydraulic on the boxers, or just a different type of clutch.

I actually found it impossible to do a safe/fast/controlled traffic light pull away (ie safely get away from front of the queue) with the 14 plate in particular - presently I'm on a Himalayan which has a super soft progressive clutch (a joy to use) and is maybe the other extreme but the 1200 clutch in combo with the clunky 'box was not exactly pleasurable to use and the other end of the 'controllable' scale. The updated '17 was a bit better but still not confidence inspiring.

TC has MUCH more character than an LC with a light and predictable clutch and lovely gear change....go for it!

You simply can not beat a TC, the best model and engine combination BMW ever made, I'm into double figures in terms of TC ownership and had a 2015 WC for less than 2 months before getting rid.

You simply can not beat a TC, the best model and engine combination BMW ever made, I'm into double figures in terms of TC ownership and had a 2015 WC for less than 2 months before getting rid.

I managed 5 months with a 2014 GSA before getting shot of it. A TC with AFXIED units...hard to beat.

From Beemer Bonyard in the USA. Transforms the fuelling of the bike...more grunt, much smoother and reduces the power hole at 4500rpm. Pricey BUT worth while, easy to fit and will get most of your money back if ever you sell them. Search the hex head section and plenty about them on there.

From Beemer Bonyard in the USA. Transforms the fuelling of the bike...more grunt, much smoother and reduces the power hole at 4500rpm. Pricey BUT worth while, easy to fit and will get most of your money back if ever you sell them. Search the hex head section and plenty about them on there.

OK, will do. ��

Well finally got to test ride a TC today and I can see it has a heck more character than the two LCs I rode (2014/17), proper R Nine T style rock and roll and heartbeat makes it feel alive.

Lovely near silent click into first rather than cllllluuuunkkk of the LC's. Very nice feel to the clutch and generally very smooth gearbox.

Power delivery seemed to lack a bit to what I felt in the R Nine T and definitely more effort than the LCs which waft and surge with seemingly little effort.

But those bastard indicators especially on RABs...guess I'd get used to them one day with enough practise. ;)

Hmmm, just not sure - pros and cons to air and LC for sure...

I have owned a 2012 TC since new, and in the last few years I've test-ridden three different LCs, including a GS, an RT and a new 1250GS. Based on what others had posted, I was hesitant about doing so, since they all said I'd be smitten by the LC and want to immediately trade in my tc for a new bike.

Oddly, that was not the case. Riding the newer bikes just confirmed to me that my 2012 tc is the best GS ever built. It's lighter, less mechanically complicated, and, most notably and noticeably, more flickable. Every time I've tested an LC I've felt like I had to wrestle it to get into a tight turn, and then wrestle it to get it out. Didn't matter whether I was on the brakes, coasting or on the gas - same thing all three times. Some people suggested maybe the test bikes had low tire pressure. But that would be a heckuva coincidence, not to mention they all had TPMS, and no indication of low pressure showing.

So I think I'll just keep nursing my tc along - only has 60k miles or so. Had the clutch out last fall for an RMS leak/replacement. Everyone said to replace the clutch while I was in there, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - the friction plate still had 2/3 life left.

TC rules. If it had electronic cruise control it would be perfect for those long all-day road rides I occasionally do. But I'm ok dealing with that. Great bikes!

Back
Top Bottom