Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A scoot to the south (of Ireland)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great report but ... what does that boot remind me of?

Super scoots are definitely the way to go though! Eventually!
    "Purveyor of the finest dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)

Pete: although the scooter was forced on me in the sense that I could not operate foot controls, it has won me over....fast enough, tons of storage space, low centre of gravity, decent handling...plus thanks to the UKGSER community it is super well equipped with GPS and loud horn, tall screen and deflector, Optimate charging lead, heated grips and the Tucano mitts and apron.

Having said that, I took the plunge today and had my first ride of the year on my ‘super scooter’ . Finally got the odometer over the 100 mile mark! You can see the family resemblance (although one is a Suzuki and one a Honda). It was interesting to experience DCT after CVT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    Sorry to hear you had to return early
    Was looking forward to seeing a few pics of the scooter in familiar locations
    Next time

You’re a bad man Simon
    I happened to be in Monkstown last evening & nothing would do me but go down to the far end of Dun Laoghaire & get a Teddy’s
    Double flake

As you know, Jochen, my mother when living in her own house was only a short distance from Teddy’s...so I won’t be showing her that photo of your ice cream or she will be jumping into her Nissan Micra to decimate the population and drive there.

Anyway, just to finish off the journey: although the Irish ferries ship was a bit worn, the cabin I booked was palatial:

So after a shower and a quick snack I dived under the duvet and was dozing by the time we left Rosslare (10 minutes early, again ).

The crossing was very smooth and uneventful and the passage through Milford Haven interesting

I managed to get off amongst the first few vehicles (after a friendly wave from another motorist, for I had been tucked away out of the main flow).

The Welsh policeman quizzed me about my reason for travelling, kindly asked me how my mother was doing, and waved me on my way.

Customs waved me through (and at Fishguard on the way out they had searched my topbox but not twigged I had a big boot under the seat) I was on my way. I pulled in to put in earplugs and connect the heated jacket and then I was on my way.

To its credit the Burgervan dispatched the 225 miles with just one brief stop for a refill (it), a drain down (me) and a quick snack.

So bang on 4 hours after riding off the boat I was back home without too sore a bum or back

Hopefully my next trip will be on the very big scooter but at least I know this one is ready and waiting. And since returning I have fitted a Givi backrest to the top box with a view to carrying a pillion .

I agree entirely with your view of scoots, Simon. You just have to spend time in Europe to see their popularity.
    "Purveyor of the finest dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)

Excellent R&R Thanks for Posting.
    What we need are clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mzokk View Post
    Excellent R&R Thanks for Posting.
    You are welcome.....it says a lot about these times we are living through that for me it felt like a little adventure

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    and the Tucano mitts and apron.
    The 'apron' is better known here on this site as a shitebag Simon.

by the time we left Rosslare (10 minutes early, again ).
    It may not be well known amongst tourist travellers, but Stena are feckers for leaving port early. Irish Ferries to a lesser extent, but if the majority of the manifested vehicles are present they will load up and feck off toot suite. If they can go early and run at fewer knots then there are significant savings to be made on fuel costs. Always best to arrive on the quay in plenty of time.

Thank you for the report of your trip and kind regards to your Mother and yourself.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Thanks Aidan for the tip. I will pass on your kind regards to the mammy.....as she may recall Jockser from when he and I were at primary school together back in the last millennium, I shall just describe you as Jockser’s better looking friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    I shall just describe you as Jockser’s much younger friend
    Will do nicely thank you Simon.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

I shall just describe you as Jockser’s better looking friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan1150 View Post
    Will do nicely thank you Simon.
    Pair of feckers
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    Pair of feckers
    Why thank you, Jochen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, a ride report is a rare thing these days.

So does the scoot go to Portsoy?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern jock View Post
    Thanks for that, a ride report is a rare thing these days.

So does the scoot go to Portsoy?
    Good question! Let’s see how the leg recovery goes.

There’s no doubt the Burgman could do the job

If you take the scooter to Portsoy, I could keep up on the xCountry. However, I think the Wing will assert it's superiority and demand to be your ride, so I'll take my R1200R.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I enjoyed your wee spin & sundry other observations - thanks for sharing your trip.
    Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see - Arthur Schopenhauer

Gerry C

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast