A scoot to the south (of Ireland)

Could never pass the ice cream van when I parked the bus at the castle. I would make an announcement “ would all passengers remain seated until the driver is off the bus”. Otherwise I’d be behind 64 hungry people. Of course on Saturday and Sunday the bus bays would be full of cars. Enjoying your report. JJH

Could never pass the ice cream van when I parked the bus at the castle. I would make an announcement “ would all passengers remain seated until the driver is off the bus”. Otherwise I’d be behind 64 hungry people. Of course on Saturday and Sunday the bus bays would be full of cars. Enjoying your report. JJH

Cheers JJH! It was great to see the youngsters out and about in the Castle Park enjoying the sunshine.......and the Bus bays were indeed full of parked cars. But you’ll be pleased that I didn’t park there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see you on the road again Simon :beerjug:
Even with the big ‘boot’, fair play to ya :thumb

I am greeted by the dog who clearly has not read up on the 2 metre rule
985565d32ae457e447527c45ae285f4a.jpg
He/ she is gorgeous...

the 99 we each had at the gates of Kilkenny Castle
5658663df00eba2f3d5c5cd8249cd45c.jpg
I’ve recently been converted to the joy of a double flaked 99 :D

C’mon, we’re all waiting for an update :rob

Thanks Jochen , good to hear from you. The way the mammy demolished her ice cream I think she would have enjoyed the double flake....even if she had to battle JJH in the queue to get it!

I used the bad leg as a good excuse to avoid work when the next big excitement came, a cement mixer turning up at 0800 as we breakfasted

Attachments

• 99CA7616-8CA6-4DBB-A20F-E50F92A69D8E.jpg
    99CA7616-8CA6-4DBB-A20F-E50F92A69D8E.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 278
So I sat and observed as my brother in law and my nephew worked hard to get a smooth floor to the old barn
d5a00c0c197a4f32c6b8378a847fb1f4.jpg

d6516b66d44ce33a143303ef5adfe829.jpg

Good to know I will have a hard standing to park my bike on a future trip.

Then next day I got a text from my GP surgery saying I could book my second vaccination now. I rushed to access the website only to find the only date was about 4 days hence, a bit earlier than I had planned to return. Since I couldn’t locate an alternative date, and did not want to miss out on this, it was time to plan my return to Blighty!

I was going to miss the delicious mid morning pancakes served by my gourmet nephew
edea4825b84d845562c543b412e542ee.jpg

However, needs must. I discovered Stena did not run a morning ferry on the Monday but fortunately I remembered there was Irish Ferries to Pembroke, 45 minutes longer but at a more sociable departure hour from Rosslare of 0845 (given I had a 90 minute ride to get there beforehand) than Stena’s 0730.

I decided to ask Google Maps and it suggested I cut the long triangle via Waterford by leaving the M9 at Mullinavat

8a4600249a055d0336006374b7c95869.jpg

That would also mean I was confident of enough fuel to make Rosslare without refuelling.

I rose at 0545 last Monday, having packed the scooter the night before, to find frost on the bike. Fortunately the Tucano had a seat cover I had put in place but at the heady heights of 2C I was hoping the leccy jacket was on good form and there were no pockets of black ice on the minor roads I had to take to pick up the Waterford road.

It was a gorgeous (if chilly) morning
13c0b3dbc6fb948e35016875beace6cf.jpg

Soon Mr Gerbing’s heated jacket was doing its work and I cautiously went my way, undecided whether to take the Mullinavat shortcut or just belt down the M9.

Indecision is a bad state of mind and I was almost past the exit when I asked myself’why the hell not try it?’...especially since I had studiously ignored it on previous trips.

No sooner taken than I found out ‘why the hell not’.

From a rapid and empty motorway I found myself on a winding and bumpy smaller road - normally something of joy to a rider but when riding into the rising sun whilst fearing black ice, perhaps less so.

So I rode along with one hand shielding my eyes from the dazzling low sun - fortunately the Burgervan seemed very stable on the winding road.

Soon I found myself going right through the centre of New Ross and over the river, finally reaching Rosslare (a little more tired than I expected) in time to refuel and ride straight on to the ferry without any stop other than to confirm my name and get my boarding card.

43573acfff3baa8ff6c35e2758da7011.jpg

The ferry was much more truck oriented and less smart than the Stena equivalent. The signs were in Greek and English and U speculated idly where this ship had lived its life.

d4e0ae511cb53a26c136e694eb2a089f.jpg

Good man yourself, as we say!

Cheers! Thought of you and that ride out we never actually did when I visited Riyadh briefly many moons ago - eventually got to ride through Saudi on my return from Africa less than 18 months ago.

Cheers! Thought of you and that ride out we never actually did when I visited Riyadh briefly many moons ago - eventually got to ride through Saudi on my return from Africa less than 18 months ago.

This post got me thinking, is your 1150 still in Eastern Europe?

Indeed it is, Mike. Parked up at Motocamp Bulgaria at Idilevo and awaiting my return in order to head to points East, whenever that may be possible

Sorry to hear you had to return early
Was looking forward to seeing a few pics of the scooter in familiar locations
Next time ;)

You’re a bad man Simon :rob
I happened to be in Monkstown last evening & nothing would do me but go down to the far end of Dun Laoghaire & get a Teddy’s
Double flake :augie

Great report but ... what does that boot remind me of? :augie

Super scoots are definitely the way to go though! Eventually! :D

Pete: although the scooter was forced on me in the sense that I could not operate foot controls, it has won me over....fast enough, tons of storage space, low centre of gravity, decent handling...plus thanks to the UKGSER community it is super well equipped with GPS and loud horn, tall screen and deflector, Optimate charging lead, heated grips and the Tucano mitts and apron.

Having said that, I took the plunge today and had my first ride of the year on my ‘super scooter’ . Finally got the odometer over the 100 mile mark! You can see the family resemblance (although one is a Suzuki and one a Honda). It was interesting to experience DCT after CVT!

ee6afcedcbdd941d19f6d8d80612f2cf.jpg

458b99e803382f72d43ecf612881c6fd.jpg

Sorry to hear you had to return early
Was looking forward to seeing a few pics of the scooter in familiar locations
Next time ;)

You’re a bad man Simon :rob
I happened to be in Monkstown last evening & nothing would do me but go down to the far end of Dun Laoghaire & get a Teddy’s
Double flake :augie

As you know, Jochen, my mother when living in her own house was only a short distance from Teddy’s...so I won’t be showing her that photo of your ice cream or she will be jumping into her Nissan Micra to decimate the population and drive there.

Anyway, just to finish off the journey: although the Irish ferries ship was a bit worn, the cabin I booked was palatial:
862dae242cf565e6aaa57f1120272bb7.jpg

So after a shower and a quick snack I dived under the duvet and was dozing by the time we left Rosslare (10 minutes early, again ).

The crossing was very smooth and uneventful and the passage through Milford Haven interesting
29a9a44a3b9c7f1b0a77add70a2ea86a.jpg

1cada8e23783e7cbf763843eda09e8be.jpg

I managed to get off amongst the first few vehicles (after a friendly wave from another motorist, for I had been tucked away out of the main flow).

The Welsh policeman quizzed me about my reason for travelling, kindly asked me how my mother was doing, and waved me on my way.

Customs waved me through (and at Fishguard on the way out they had searched my topbox but not twigged I had a big boot under the seat) I was on my way. I pulled in to put in earplugs and connect the heated jacket and then I was on my way.

To its credit the Burgervan dispatched the 225 miles with just one brief stop for a refill (it), a drain down (me) and a quick snack.
1fc3b2d6e077ad0109e5c3816563586c.jpg

So bang on 4 hours after riding off the boat I was back home without too sore a bum or back
27b84fad2a079d27d84fe881e2b36617.jpg

Hopefully my next trip will be on the very big scooter but at least I know this one is ready and waiting. And since returning I have fitted a Givi backrest to the top box with a view to carrying a pillion .
3e3fac30f2aecea6b1c098d15241cc6a.jpg

I agree entirely with your view of scoots, Simon. You just have to spend time in Europe to see their popularity.

and the Tucano mitts and apron.

The 'apron' is better known here on this site as a shitebag Simon.

by the time we left Rosslare (10 minutes early, again ).

It may not be well known amongst tourist travellers, but Stena are feckers for leaving port early. Irish Ferries to a lesser extent, but if the majority of the manifested vehicles are present they will load up and feck off toot suite. If they can go early and run at fewer knots then there are significant savings to be made on fuel costs. Always best to arrive on the quay in plenty of time.

Thank you for the report of your trip and kind regards to your Mother and yourself.

Back
Top Bottom