VPN help needed!

(RIP) spike418

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently changed from landline broadband to wholly 4G via EE.
I've also signed up to a VPN (Surfshark).

When I go on local newspaper site it shows me adverts from Ireland. However, the real pain in the arse is that I can't wastch Iplayer via desk top as it says not available in your location.
This seems to be fixed whether my vpn is "resident" in Ireland, Manchester or London. I even disconnected but still getting that location message.

Probably something simple but it's beyond me, any suggestions please.

is the VPN set up on the router or each device?

the best solution is to set up Surfshark on your router. Then every device connecting to the router will access the 4G via Surfshark.

is the VPN set up on the router or each device?

the best solution is to set up Surfshark on your router. Then every device connecting to the router will access the 4G via Surfshark.

At the moment it's on each device, and I can access iplayer via my laptop just not the desk top. This seems weird and pardon my ignorance it just seems strange that putting vpn through the router would solve it???

At the moment it's on each device, and I can access iplayer via my laptop just not the desk top. This seems weird and pardon my ignorance it just seems strange that putting vpn through the router would solve it???

it seems the desktop is ignoring the VPN - by forcing all traffic through the router via the VPN this will ignore whatever dicking about is going on in the desktop

Windows key + X, then press "W"
Click on “Change adapter options”

That will show what adapters are available/in use.
If you only see one called "Ethernet", its probably not installed correctly. If its "X'ed" its not active.

Attachments

• vpn1.JPG
    vpn1.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 88
BBC Iplayer doesn't like VPN traffic, as many expats try and hide their true location using a VPN server in London. So either switch the VPN off altogether or ask the VPN supplier to give you a fixed IP address which they guarantee BBC Iplayer will accept. The fixed IP will probably cost you more money, and rather defeats the anonymity aspect of using a VPN in the first place..............

As a temporary solution you can install some browser extension, e.g. https://hola.org/
It will let you to select your location. I sometimes use it when abroad or when need to access content not available within the UK.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom