BMW R18

Nice 'n' Fat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've never seen one on the road yet there are lots for sale on e-bay & Autotrader (presumably ex demos?) and BMW are offering finance/customization deals on new ones

They're a lot of money for a one trick pony :rolleyes:

Just looked, 35 on Autotrader; now that is a shock discovery. Or is it!
Well OK, it is not a GS adventure bike.

Maybe next year we will see Pan Americans advertised as well when HOG members realise they can’t cruise comfortably on one along the Cafe’ Cultured Boulevards of Britain.

Patria o Muerte

Just looked, 35 on Autotrader; now that is a shock discovery. Or is it!
Well OK, it is not a GS adventure bike.

Maybe next year we will see Pan Americans advertised as well when HOG members realise they can’t cruise comfortably on one along the Cafe’ Cultured Boulevards of Britain.

Patria o Muerte

The difference is that BMW tried to build a cruiser but have failed ,judging by lack of sales and interest.
But it would appear that HD have played a blinder with the Pan Am.It’s getting rave reviews pretty much everywhere, apart from on a GS forum :)
I think it’ll be a success once people ride them and see for themselves how good it is.

The difference is that BMW tried to build a cruiser but have failed ,judging by lack of sales and interest.
But it would appear that HD have played a blinder with the Pan Am.It’s getting rave reviews pretty much everywhere, apart from on a GS forum :)
I think it’ll be a success once people ride them and see for themselves how good it is.

The original concept looked ace, but in reality, it looks and size is an issue. One far and few between can afford one to have it parked in their garage for the next two years while only cover a few hundred miles in that time.

Now HD PanAm, I agree with you. I am yet to have a go on one, and despite subjective front end looks, I think it'll be a seller, unless EU tariffs will make it prohibitively expensive for the average Joe Blogs. Ive got HD Dealer only 10 minutes away from me.

R18, too big, too heavy, way too expensive. I quite like the look of the single seat bobber version however you need to buy lots of expensive special parts to have that. Also, why do they make such big engined bike with a stupidly small petrol tank capacity? Is that because their average customer only rides to their local bistro or out for 20 mile pose.

Would take an R9T over the R18 and have lots of money left over.

The only one I have seen (and heard) in the flesh was over 7 days last September on a rally from the Lizard to Dunnet Head. What a horrible mechanical row it made. Rattled like a real bad-un. Put me right off.

Funnily enough, I saw my first one on the road yesterday on Wolverhampton's ring road. Could have been a test ride from Rybrook's I guess. It really didn't look anything special on the road.

The old adage of a fool and their money being easily parted applies, 20K is stupid money for a bike. It's also stupidly heavy, it's not even a one trick pony. The PanAm looks interesting and is 75% of the price.

I'll pass thanks.
Nothing against it, just not interested in that style of bike.

I actually preferred the look of the R1200C tbh

Just don’t think the boxer engine looks right in a cruiser .look at the last one they made

Depends on the individual, I found the most comfortable bike for me ever, then some bint in Portugal wrote it off, with my help of course.
It was a most unusual position for riding, yet I could ride for more than 24 hours and not suffer any aches, pain, or fatigue, it was a HD softail with 42 inch beach bars and foot boards and a standard seat, I still have it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom