Safety cameras, lifetime included or not?

mrtee43

Reaction score
Me and mate both with XTs have had differing responses from Garmin support. He has been told that the XT has lifetime safety cameras included, I have been told that they are a subscription item.

Anybody know the truth because it would seem Garmin support do not!

On my XT they were free for life, they are also free on the Garmin Smart Link app. It's the cyclops database that's used though, so not the best. I have a pocketgps world subscription, and me and another tosser take it in turns to renew each year and share it. Far more up to date and accurate than the Garmin / Cyclops database.

I also have free lifetime access to the pocket GPS database and it works fine but the XT has just downloaded a Cyclops file via Express and even if I select it as opposed the the PocketGPS and do a simulated route, there are no warnings at all and I would like to know why.

I know some people will say, just use the Pocket GPS warnings, but like the bluetooth route sharing not working and this not working, I say I have paid good money for this device and if something is supposed to work/be included, I want it.

I also have free lifetime access to the pocket GPS database and it works fine but the XT has just downloaded a Cyclops file via Express and even if I select it as opposed the the PocketGPS and do a simulated route, there are no warnings at all and I would like to know why.

I know some people will say, just use the Pocket GPS warnings, but like the bluetooth route sharing not working and this not working, I say I have paid good money for this device and if something is supposed to work/be included, I want it.

Cyclops lifetime is included with the unit, I seem to get an update most days.
Like you, I would prefer to use 'Pocket GPS World' database, but I have not had any success in getting it to work. Frustrating as it worked perfectly on my 595LM & still works on my old Montana 600.

I have spoken to Garmin support, who all seem to be working from home, their lack of knowledge of this unit & their ability to help is truly shocking. I am no expert, but I am always left with the feeling that I know more than the guy that I am speaking to!

Getting the PocketGPS to work on the XT is easy. Just download from their database for Garmin POI Loader and select your file. I use the zoned, no chime, female. Extract the zip file to a folder. Run POI Loader program and connect your XT. Tell POI loader which folder contains the unzipped files and it will install them.

On the XT in settings, go to Driver Assistance, Proximity Alerts, Alerts, then tick Custom POIs and untick Garmin Safety Cameras if already ticked.

Getting the PocketGPS to work on the XT is easy. Just download from their database for Garmin POI Loader and select your file. I use the zoned, no chime, female. Extract the zip file to a folder. Run POI Loader program and connect your XT. Tell POI loader which folder contains the unzipped files and it will install them.

On the XT in settings, go to Driver Assistance, Proximity Alerts, Alerts, then tick Custom POIs and untick Garmin Safety Cameras if already ticked.

do you download both EUR and UK databases, and set kmh/km and feet/mph?

I've downloaded the PGPSW databases, installed them with POI loader, and switched them on in the XT but don't get an alert.

I do get Cyclops updates, but the Cyclops alerts are all out by about 100metres (i.e. they alert 100m too late :blast)

I've downloaded the PGPSW databases, installed them with POI loader, and switched them on in the XT but don't get an alert.

I do get Cyclops updates, but the Cyclops alerts are all out by about 100metres (i.e. they alert 100m too late :blast)

Like you I have had no luck getting the PGPSW database to work on the XT, I have been using it for years on other Garmin models.

This is what I download and use and it works just fine as per my previous instructions.

Capture.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom