Which model 700 ????

newbuild100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks
I’m interested in a 2017 700 but the seller isn’t sure if it’s a lowered version or not !
As the bike is a long way away, I won’t travel to see it if it is a low model. What can I ask the seller to look for to see if it’s “low” or “ normal” ???
Thank you

My wife has a lowered F700GS, ask if there is a centre stand. Not possible on a lowered F700

Thanks guys, I did think id read somewhere about the lack of stand on lowered versions, (Although I think I also read one manufacturer was looking into designing one)

S W Motech do a main stand for the 700 circa £145
Just bought a lowered low miles minty 700 , seat height with normal seat is30ins. I was going to convert it to standard but with a 29in leg it suits . I’m surprised in road riding how far over I have to lean it to contact the edge of my boots on the tarmac without metal scraping and I’m no lightweight

BMW generally pair the low suspension with a low seat. Whilst aftermarket options are available, BMW don’t spec one for the low F700GS. It doesn’t mean the seller hasn’t added a different seat afterward. I don’t believe ESA was offered with the low suspension either.

If the suspension is different on the normal versus the lowered bikes; Will I be able to tell by looking at that on the bike in question ???

Simple answer - the bike is noticeably lower to the ground. Take a quick look on autotrader - at the moment the 3rd and 5th cheapest bikes are lowered, but 2nd and 4th cheapest are normal height. As mentioned if lowered it’s highly unlikely to have a centre stand, and the seat will most likely be a scooped out low seat.

Simple answer - the bike is noticeably lower to the ground. Take a quick look on autotrader - at the moment the 3rd and 5th cheapest bikes are lowered, but 2nd and 4th cheapest are normal height. As mentioned if lowered it’s highly unlikely to have a centre stand, and the seat will most likely be a scooped out low seat.

Thank you

If the suspension is different on the normal versus the lowered bikes; Will I be able to tell by looking at that on the bike in question ???

The easiest way to tell is to look at the chain tension sticker on the swing arm. The lowered bike will say 20 - 30mm. If that spec is higher it is the standard suspension.

Please dont take the presence of a main stand to mean its not lowered, mine is a LC and has a SW Motech mainstand. Also standard bikes often ship with low seats.

The best advice is as detailed by Matty above get used to recognising them. In the flesh you cant confuse them as with a 29” inside leg I can flat foot a LC and am on tippy toes with a standard bike. Both on low seats. I also believe the low chassis isn’t available with ESA so thats another givaway.

Back
Top Bottom