A cracking day trip into the countryside.

Always nice to have a nosey about in someone's garage to see whats about...:D

A good day out, dodging the bursts of rain. My thanks to Headtester for the excellent company.

Sadly, The New Sun Inn in Kimbolton is no more. As sign in the window says it is a temporary closure but above it is a full on 'To let' board. Hopefully it will reopen at some point. By good fortune we found a very good alternative not far along the road, just coming into St Neots, where the route joins the A1 at Eaton Ford. It's The Eaton Oak, which has a large car park, friendly staff, plenty of tables and decent food. I'd use it again.

https://www.theeatonoak.co.uk

It also has rooms, if anyone is looking to stay in that part of the world.

It was indeed a splendid day out, a varied route with a good mix of roads. I enjoyed the ride, the fish and chips and the company, thank you.

Thank you.

I have tidied-up the route. I haven’t changed the specific routing (that worked fine, with no glitches *) but simply;

A. Cut out the stop at the closed New Sun pub, replacing it with the Eaton Oak.

B. Cut out the short excursion to the Comfort cafe, not least as it’s now closed.

C. Finished the route at the services at the Bishops Stortford junction of the M11, which saves bods going back to Chelmsford, after coming through Dunmow. It’s six and two threes really, not least as anyone can use as much (or as little) of the route - in either direction - as they might like.

I’ll put the tidied-up route up on Dropbox later.

I can confirm that a standard GS (not a GSA) starting with a full tank (20 litres) of fuel at Chelmsford, can make it all the way round, with I guess 10 miles to spare. Those of a cautious disposition can always re-fill / top-up at Walker’s, St Ives or even on the run along to St Neots, before getting to the Eaton Oak / A1.

* That’s the power and simplicity of BaseCamp / Garmin devices for you.

Thank you.

I have tidied-up the route. I haven’t changed the specific routing (that worked fine, with no glitches *) but simply;

A. Cut out the stop at the closed New Sun pub, replacing it with the Eaton Oak.

B. Cut out the short excursion to the Comfort cafe, not least as it’s now closed.

C. Finished the route at the services at the Bishops Stortford junction of the M11, which saves bods going back to Chelmsford, after coming through Dunmow. It’s six and two threes really, not least as anyone can use as much (or as little) of the route - in either direction - as they might like.

I’ll put the tidied-up route up on Dropbox later.

I can confirm that a standard GS (not a GSA) starting with a full tank (20 litres) of fuel at Chelmsford, can make it all the way round, with I guess 10 miles to spare. Those of a cautious disposition can always re-fill / top-up at Walker’s, St Ives or even on the run along to St Neots, before getting to the Eaton Oak / A1.

* That’s the power and simplicity of BaseCamp / Garmin devices for you.

Thank you Richard and sorry I couldn’t make it. Frankly ended up working anyway, despite wanting to have a chill out day :blast

I look forward to downloading your route. Sounds like 1290 KTM would manage the milage on a single tank full too, without the fuel needed to get to Chelmsford and back home.

As your route touching St. Neots and Eaton Oak (my route takes you south at the roundabout onto A1 for one junction), it is possible to merge both of our routes for even longer day, especially if one fancies a stay at the mentioned pub.

I do hope that maybe next time I can get out and join you.

Ps: I am having issues with Basecamp since upgrading to the latest version and using it with Zumo XT.

EV

Hello EV, yes I guess you could join the two up. I’ll have a play around at some point.

There is a thread in the GPS section about problems with BaseCamp since the latest operating system released by Apple.

Let’s try to catch up when you are free.

That is fantastic Richard, Opened up linked route file using my iPad and pocket earth app. Route looking great.
As your route is passing Graftham Water, it is worth stopping by on a sunny day ( probably would've been dire yesterday) before a lunch stop at Eaton Oak.

The B660 is one of my favourite roads (as many other roads), if slightly hampered by constant variation in speed limits. However, unless one is a bat out the hell, it is still possible to have a great time and still be able to recall what you have been passing by, once arrived home. If I recall correctly, the speed limits do get spread out further apart, north of Kimbolton.

Lets touch base for the next ride, if you are out that way any time soon.

PS: I will check the thread re: Basecamp issues.

EV

Hi Richard, glad you had a good run. I’ve saved your revised route and noticed it’s 1.1mb compared to the one I sent which was 480kb. Have I done something odd?

Hi Richard, glad you had a good run. I’ve saved your revised route and noticed it’s 1.1mb compared to the one I sent which was 480kb. Have I done something odd?

You’ve got Richards and my Routes combined. My original route (is slightly wrong) is in the original post #1. Click on the link to see it.

You’ve got Richards and my Routes combined. My original route (is slightly wrong) is in the original post #1. Click on the link to see it.

For those of us unable to access dropbox at the moment would you mind posting map of the route so that can comment , recreate , enjoy
Thanks

It should come down automatically from Dropbox or are you using an employer’s internet browser that blocks the site?

Here it is displayed on Pocket Earth Pro.

d3c40e5c46d9fdb7657e8eb7b478ca1c.png

Richard
Yes working on vessel and employers internet browser says No.
Nice looking couple of days out there.
My days out are slightly East of there with Finchingfield for lunch followed by up to Walkers via Bury st Edmunds
You tube car vlogger I follow regularly uses all the nice roads between Dumnow and Haverhill ( JayEmm) I have a nice fig of eight ride around there
I will take a look at the Soham St Ives , Cambridge section next time home.
Thanks

I guessed as much.

If you PM your email address I can send you the file or a version in Pocket Earth, if you can download that app.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom