Engine Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
without changing maps (As on the newer bikes) is it possible to increase or decrease engine braking on the 1150 range? Not that I want to, but curious if it can be done/ can occur without any outward signs of bike struggling/backfiring etc? Since my backfire has been cured and my bike is ultra smooth at low revs it does seem to pull itself up rather quick on a closed throttle. Might be in my head, but is it inadvertently possible to increase braking from the engine? I'll know more for myself in a couple of days when I need to fill up and can compare my fuel consumption

From an amateur ham-fisted mechanic's point of view, I would think the answer is no, but very happy to be corrected.
I have an 02 1150GS & considering the weight of the elephant + the elephant on the saddle, I'm always very surprised at how the engine does slow you down on de-throttle.
Amazing to be honest.

There are ways to mask engine braking. A slipper clutch for instance. Taller gearing of a higher gear. Engine management to feed in fuel on a closed throttle. From my memory of a 1150 the engine braking was quite pronounced. I just seen it as a charistic of the engine and rode accordingly. JJH

Agree with all the posts above. Its always been quick to slow down off throttle. Was just wondering if it could have been increased inadvertently by fettling, yet show no outward signs of engine not firing/working right. Bike is now running super smooth but just feels heavier on engine braking. Maybe I was in the car too long and forgot..

Like the K's the fuel is cut until around 1500/1750 k revs and you can feel it come back in for low revs running... On K's I have had it feels more pronounced. Also on Largiaders site there is a very good article on the initial oilhead design parameters for the clutch/gearbox which was very interesting when I had 11's with M94 gearboxes. It seems BMW where always trying to design around these characteristics on future Oilheads.

http://largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/interview.html

I have to admit judging other bikes by the way you can get Boxer engine braking to be a riding aid and save braking... When I had a DCT Crosstourer I couldn't believe how much gear-changing and braking you had to do to slow the fecker down on tight, twisty roads... That and the fact that it was a bit of a rapid bus...:rolleyes:

I love the engine braking of the 1150GS, other vehicles following close behind dont.!
Though sometimes I scare myself by dropping into too low a gear and locking the rear up going into a downhill bend but that it is due to operator error.

Maybe your mechanic adjusted the inner throttle body screws(which are not supposed to be touched ;) ) and messed up the factory settings and you are not actually getting properly closed throttle

Maybe, a visit to steppers is on the cards now?

Did your mechanic reset the TPS after paying with the throttle stops or cable adjusters?

The only thing he adjusted was a silver nut and bolt type thing on right hand side just behind the big plastic pipes. It looks similar to a bicycle valve with the counter screw bolt if that makes sense. As of today it ran perfectly, MPG has increased again to 51mpg which is up from the usual 43MPG . He never adjusted anything other than replace ht leads, then adjust valve timings (exhaust was out x2) and then this nut. Backfires etc are all gone. I am probably over feeling the braking as its been a while since bike was normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom