TDM 900

Oh yes but it is the super heavy duty one (which I luckily got with a trade discount of £30 off). Just had another half hour and sorted out the wiring for the grips which are running through a switch live feed

New tyres fitted today , what a difference,the bike before was handling like a hippo on roller skates and I was worried that the bike had major issues.

With the new tyres it is totally transformed.

It steers better, drops nicely into bends and is totally stable, all I can say is for those who like to run their tyres down to the limit and will happily run mismatched tyres you are wasting your time.

Weather permitting I will get out early tomorrow for a decent run

online sources are asking £40 for a sat nav bar above the clocks for the TDM, made one today from some scrap alloy bar and got the garmin sat nav holder fitted using a spare BMW mount , all done for the minute until the pair of slightly narrower MT09 Tracer turn up as the Magura ones are slightly too wide for comfort.

Hopefully we will get some decent weather to get out for a run this next week

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 348
Looks a great bike Neil. Had a chap a few years ago bring one on a US trip and it was very impressive bike.

Looks a great bike Neil. Had a chap a few years ago bring one on a US trip and it was very impressive bike.

Always liked them and it could be replacing the F800 GSA, I loved the 800 when I bought it and it is a great bike BUT the crap I had last year with the main dealer and the BMW Approved Used warranty last year and the loss of use of the bike for the most of the spring and the entire summer while they p*ssed about before fitting a new crate engine have taken the shine off it.

Not helped that the first time I took it out this year with brand new Avon tyres fitted I ended up with two front wheel and one rear wheel puncture (they had been cutting hedges locally) making me realise what a pain in the arse tubed tyres can be .

We will have to see , no doubt next time I take out the 800 I will fall back in love with it, the only guaranteed keepers in the garage are the Katana 1100 and the R1200GSA LC (Billy Basic Edition)

P.S tommorrow the chatty looking yellow rim tape is coming off the front wheel.

I am also liking the idea about finding a set of xt1200 Super Tenere forks and yokes to convert it to a usd front end over the winter

I loved mine , great bike and through the years always wanted another.
I did put Ohlin springs and different oil in the front forks that’s pretty common and made a big difference, I remember their being an air box mod that was also common.

Did 60 odd miles this morning across the local moors before breakfast, the TDM is faster and handles better than my f800gsa and could probably give my R1200GSA a run for its money.

Well impressed

Nice bike, and are becoming popular.
I thought about one just recently but went for a yamaha fz1s, never had a litre sports tourer before so lots of smiles.
Will re-consider for a TDM when wanting to change but might sell the GS next year and buy a T700.

I love my BMW GS TE but parts/addons are more expensive compared to a jap bike. Of course the Yamaha will be so much more reliable.
Alot to be said for owning a basic bike.

Got the used set of Yamaha engine bars fitted £20 and changed the Magura fatbars for a set of used MT09 Tracer bars which are narrower and more comfortable £40.

Still eed to cut down the handlebar endweights

Attachments

• DSC_0180.jpg
    DSC_0180.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_0179.jpg
    DSC_0179.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_0178.jpg
    DSC_0178.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0177.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 406
Fitted a new Givi monokey rack and box yesterday and today replaced the rear brake line with a Goodridge stainless one and Stainless steel banjo bolts and replaced the fluid.

Need to pick up a couple of Build a line end fittings on Monday then I can change the front lines out , still amazed as to how ell the bike goes and handles

Neil W, you’ve done a lovely job on a cracking bike! Nice tip about the MT-09 bars too :beerjug:

You mentioned earlier about fitting USD forks, personally, I would get the stock forks off to Maxton or MCT but if you do decide to go down the USD route, then I will be following closely. :beerjug:

Enjoying this thread, the OP has managed to get a competent, modern ‘ish’ all rounder for a sensible budget, Then improved it with upgrades and sensible accessories.
As longdog says, get the forks sorted by Maxton or the like. It will probably yield a better result than upside downers, look standard, involve a lot less work, and the insurance company won’t need to be informed. :beerjug:

I've always liked the TDM's - I'm tempted to change my 800GS for one, lower seat height will be welcome...good job on this one Neil

I've always liked the TDM's - I'm tempted to change my 800GS for one, lower seat height will be welcome...good job on this one Neil

A really late low miler tdm on a 11 to 13 plate with full lugage would cost you less than £4300, and as the owner of a 17 plate low mileage f800 gsa te with just about every extra available fitted and a brand new motor all I can say is that for road use the tdm is a much better bike with a stronger motor and vastly superior handling.
As my first Yamaha in 41 years it has been a real eye opener, If the current covid restrictions for travelling to europe continue I may well be sorning the 1200 and the 800 for this summer

Passed two guys on the M74 today, S11TDM and S111TDM were the reg no's lol

Went out around the Durham Dales this morning , not hanging around and did a 170 mile run and averaging 64.7 mpg which is impressive for a bike its size

A really late low miler tdm on a 11 to 13 plate with full lugage would cost you less than £4300, and as the owner of a 17 plate low mileage f800 gsa te with just about every extra available fitted and a brand new motor all I can say is that for road use the tdm is a much better bike with a stronger motor and vastly superior handling.
As my first Yamaha in 41 years it has been a real eye opener, If the current covid restrictions for travelling to europe continue I may well be sorning the 1200 and the 800 for this summer

So, you like it better than the Versys then? Anyway, good honest appraisal, too many lads need the 1250 when in all honesty a 750 is good enough for most.

Back
Top Bottom