Adjusting the steering - first ride out F650

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
So, taxed and insured the mighty F650 today and took her out for a spin. Very pleased with her first run:thumb2

Only one minor problem...when I set off the handlebars were about 5 degrees turning to the left ! Bike will virtually still track in a straight
line. There are no screw adjusters on the sidecar frame !
I can only think lowering the leading front forks, will maybe help, as the sidecar frame is on a slight slope to the nearside. Also firming up the sidecar shock
may help a tad.
I know little about setting up a sidecar. Sidecar nice and easy ( and very light ) to ride.
I'll probably have a go tomorrow with the suspension ( didn't get time when I got back )....but if anyone has some productive suggestions, I'm all ears :thumb2

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 164
If I remember correctly Kenny

The chair has to lie out from the bike

The Chair axle centre should lead the Bike rear wheel centre by 9 inches and the toe in was about 1 and a half degrees

I may still have the old Squire set up instructions somewhere

If I remember correctly Kenny

The chair has to lie out from the bike

The Chair axle centre should lead the Bike rear wheel centre by 9 inches and the toe in was about 1 and a half degrees

I may still have the old Squire set up instructions somewhere

I'm not are of the dimensions/angles without looking them up but yes, the bike/sidecar should lean out from each other very slightly when unloaded.

HERE's a really simple guide I've used in the past to great affect.

Regardless of your skill at riding outfits Kenny I'd be putting some weight in that sidecar, nothing to do with stopping it lifting but more to load what looks like a very light chair, it'll just make the whole outfit feel more planted :thumb2

Andres

Edit: Just seen Shugie link to the same set up guide.

Thanks guys; it is indeed a light outfit ( bouncing on offside footpeg whilst stationary even lifts the chair !! ).
So, today, adjusted the Bilstein front shocks to their lowest setting ( about 25mm )...and not a quick job as have to compress shock springs for hidden circlip etc ).
Then, as sidecar shock was on lowest/softest setting....removed sidecar wheel/sidecar mudguard, so I could adjust shock to a harder setting.
Then, phew, reduced the rear non standard shock a tad.
Outfit now sits even with me on it....I can ( it pissed down so no test today ) always drop the leading link forks a little after a test run.
Dr Farkoff also sent me a little info re setting up sidecar ( thanks guys ).
Sidecar set up by someone better than moi, but as time has gone on, various shocks etc have been just bolted on. There is no adjust on the sidecar frame at all !!
Loads of stainless bolts bunged onto her as well. Starting ( like me ) to scrub up well. Need to wire wheel the crap silver engine finish ( and get rid of the white alloy dust ).

Bag of sand is on standby !!:okay

Think I've nailed it ( no test ride as still hammering it down ) loosened the leading link forks, straightened the front wheel and dropped her another 25mm. This with the already reduced front shocks has brought her nice and level when wifey plonked her pert posterior in the sidecar. All looking well.
Thanks guys for the advice.

Had a lovely run out with the boss yesterday ( she weighs just a tad more than a bag of sand :D)....felt well planted. Love it !
Got to paint the engine though... it has that white furring between alloy engine and crap BMW engine paint. How do I neutralize that furring
before etch priming/hammerite silver finishing etc?

Attachments

• IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 93

Back
Top Bottom