G/S Bean can

SteveHop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of replacing the advance return springs .
Is it possibe to do this without stripping the bean can completly down , by just taking the cover plate off of the inspection window and getting them in through there ?

Ive never stripped one down before and it looks a bit trickey.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Thx

I think you need to remove the unit, undo a circlip or 2 and then get to them, as they are under a plate that you can't remove from the top. I may have new springs if you haven't already got them.

They are not that tricky to strip down completely,

You just undo the screws and knock the pin out, and it all comes to bits, do it on a clean surface, you need to support the shaft whilst knocking the pin out, it only comes out one way,

You won’t be able to change the springs without strip down,

And you will be able to lubricate the bushes that are probably the real problem, rather than the springs,

It’s been over ten years since I last took one apart, there’s a few bits to it, so keep an eye on how it dismantles, I don’t remember it being particularly hard or complicated,

You take the screws out of the back and it partly comes apart, then you realise it’s stopped by the pin in the drive part, which needs punched out.

Going to have a go at it , ive allready lubricated the bushes which has improved it a bit but it still does not return to idle when hot.
Ive checked everything else out regarding the carbs so im thinking it must be the advance mechanism not returning properly.

Ah yes, the pin. I did one or two a few weeks ago (poor memory) and the pins were proper tight. Make sure it's securely mounted or you could end up burying it in your plasterboard (how do I know this?). Be prepared to give it welly.

Back
Top Bottom