1100GS; Putting the Left cylinder back together

Freeman1100GS

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am at a crossroads again. Its taken awhile but I have been putting the left cylinder back together after having to replace the head gasket and along the way having to also replace the cam chain guide that I accidentally broke. I ended up removing the piston to get the secondary cylinder head off. I put it back together following the guiding lines outlined on this forum.

Here is where I am at now. I apologize if I use the incorrect terms, I hope you get what I am talking about.

I just reinstalled the cam chain sprocket and I made damn sure that the sprocket divot or cutout area on the sprocket lined up with the guide insert on the cylinder. Previous posting have told me that I now need to turn the rear wheel while in gear and if it turns the sprocket is seated correctly and if not try again. I have tried it twice and I am confident it is seated correctly by everything I can tell. I also removed the pin I put into the flywheel to hold it into place.

It still will not turn in gear. I am using 1st gear I hope that is corrected. I am wondering if I re-installed the piston and piston rings correctly. I am thinking the piston may not want to move and that is what is holding it up.

I am out of ideas. Look forward to anyone's advice and help.

Why don’t you turn the engine over using a spanner on 16mm nut on the front of crank shaft.

If you want to turn the engine over from the wheel, you need to be in a high gear, ie 6th not 1st.

Also, You have to make sure that when the Inlet valves on both sides are not in Sync

AS you rotate the engine by pulling the top of the rear wheel forwards whilst the sparkplugs are out

You want to watch the Inlet on one side compress the spring towards the head and then start to release the spring again,

What you want to see, is;- as one side completes the open and closing of the inlet valves (rearmost on heads) the other side follows the exact same action just after NOT at the same time

If both sides do this at the same time you will have created a big bang motor!! and no one is sure how long it would hold together :aidan

Back
Top Bottom