Basecamp - how to load multiple favourites

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the past 6 years I used my Zumo to store details of all my customers past & present as favourites all uploaded into the nav manually. The unit has gone dead, cannot be revived and the best Garmin can do is offer me an exchange so I’m going to buy an XT. What I’m hoping it that I can somehow upload my customer address list to basecamp and then down into the XT rather than do them all manually ...again... as it’s about 200 locations.

I can find lots of info about how to load routes and tracks but nothing that can help me load a long list of favourites :confused:

Assuming you use BaseCamp and have at some time connected your Garmin to device to it properly, BaseCamp may have drawn your favourites across automatically and remembered them. Or, you may have had to copy them across, in the same way as BaseCamp can import routes and tracks. Either way, you may well find them stored away safely in BaseCamp.

Assuming they are there, they’ll be listed, along with any routes and tracks you have saved or created in BaseCamp. If they are, simply send them to your new XT device. Job done.

If they are not there or you haven’t used BasCamp or you haven’t saved them to BaseCamp or somewhere else, then you are maybe royally fecked. There is though one possible small glimmer of hope. The favourites might be held on an SD card within your dead device, assuming it has an SD card that is.

PS Reading your post, it suggests that you don’t use BaseCamp. Bend over.....

to get your info off the zumo it will need to be at least powered up and connected to a pc/mac and be viewable.

Thanks for the replies. You are correct I don’t really use basecamp BUT I did indeed connect the device to it and copy the info from it not that very long ago. However , it only seemed to copy the routes from previous trips on it and nothing else. :(

However , that was not my question. I was wondering if it was possible to somehow bulk upload a list of addresses from an excel or csv file into basecamp so that I can then import them into my new device when I get it to save having to input them manually into the new device ::nenau

The device won’t power up at all, it was working in the evening when I arrived home and then the next morning it was dead. It’s a Zumo 340 , no longer supported and Garmin have offered me an exchange discount instead so I’m going for an XT .

I guessed as much. You’ll now see the inestimable value of using BaseCamp on a regular and proper basis. Here’s how to send favourites from one device to another, via BaseCamp. You can’t now do this as one of your two gps devices cannot be woken up but you’ll know for the future.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-transfer-favorites-from-one-garmin-to-another-garmin

What you need is indeed a Points of Information (PoI) loader, which picks up data (maybe easiest in a spreadsheet form) transferring the data into a gps device.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=5IgMIBdkJN5M7CzMmytjs6

Are your 200 plus addresses available in a suitable spreadsheet, with the latitude and longitude coordinates? Without the coordinates, I think you are stuffed, if you want to do it via a PoI loader. If the coordinates are not known, I guess the easiest way to recreate the database would be to locate each of the 200 addresses in BaseCamp, saving them to a file as you go along. Then send the file to your new device.

PS What is it we all know about data? Back it up! :augie :D :beerjug:

sorry i thought your address list was on the zumo, i misunderstood you. as Richard has said you can use basecamp to find your places you wish to save that may take a while if the list is long. You mention csv files. you can convert csv files to gpx and then load them into basecamp to send to the XT, providing all the data is in the csv as Richard said above long and lat would be required. there are on line converters to do this, GPS visuliser springs to mind, there are others.
I believe this how to link shows you how to do it with a spread sheet that you also mentioned.
https://www.wiltshire.net/2019/09/0...nts-and-tips-2-bulk-waypoint-import-from-csv/

Thank you, Lee.

That’s a pretty comprehensive answer you’ve given and a good link to a decently presented ‘How to do it’ website.

As websites have an uncomfortable habit of vanishing, I have saved the explanation (a bit roughly) as a PDF.

Thank you both :thumb Unfortunately the list I have is address and postcode only from a customer database . Some of the addresses on the dead nav were coordinates because I saved the location when I was present at it.

You are of course correct Richard , I did think I had a back up but it appears not. I really should’ve checked more thoroughly:blast .

I do actually have a back up Zumo 350 nav but it only has about a third of the favourites / customer on it . :blast :blast

If it were me I would use Google maps search function to find location data for the places you require. And then use base camp to save all as a gpx file full of your favourites or your customer list as you have called it.

On the philosophy that if it's already broke then you can't break it, have you tried a hard reset (on my old Zumo 550 it's a battery out, wait and then put back)?

tom

The Zumo 340/350 range doesn't have a removable battery. When my 350 bricked it was unrecoverable.
Since you've a spreadsheet with postcodes you could try Lee's trick with Google Maps as it will take postcodes as well as coordinates. That will get you somewhere close to each address then it's a case of homing in on the actual addresses before exporting them. It's a major ballache but it's less work than recreating everything from scratch.

If your into nothing ventured etc,

Do some googling and see if the unit has a jtag connector , that way you could see if there are any recovery / flashing programs on the web

It does sometimes require a bit of Linux knowledge / commands but as i said nothing ventured

1/3 of 200 is 67. Only 133 to do.

One every 30 seconds, is just over an hour. 10 minutes a day, you’ll have it done by the end of the week.

If it were me I would use Google maps search function to find location data for the places you require. And then use base camp to save all as a gpx file full of your favourites or your customer list as you have called it.

Yes , after reading the link you posted I think this I probably the best bet , thanks.

The Zumo 340/350 range doesn't have a removable battery. When my 350 bricked it was unrecoverable.
Since you've a spreadsheet with postcodes you could try Lee's trick with Google Maps as it will take postcodes as well as coordinates. That will get you somewhere close to each address then it's a case of homing in on the actual addresses before exporting them. It's a major ballache but it's less work than recreating everything from scratch.

Agreed :thumb

1/3 of 200 is 67. Only 133 to do.

One every 30 seconds, is just over an hour. 10 minutes a day, you’ll have it done by the end of the week.

It’s probably more like 250-300 including dormant accounts & leads, but I take your point. I reckon it’s probably easier to start a new list again than go through the list and identify which ones I already have.

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions , it’s much appreciated , and I’m looking forward to getting the XT as it seems like a fab unit.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom