R1150gsa oil pressure light

ajcarr44@aol.co.uk

Reaction score
After riding 130 miles today, just before I got home I noticed the oil light was flickering and got brighter until it was almost fully on, I parked the bike and put on its centre stand, and checked the oil, which sat in the middle of the sight glass, the engine was hot. I started it up again and no light, rode 2 miles home and light flickered on my driveway as I pulled up. The light slowly went out as I was sat for a minute but started to Flickr when I lent the bike over to the left and the right, until finally the light completely went out. I left it to cool on its centre stand and now the oil is just under the top of the glass. I have checked the connection to the pressure switch but it was nice and clean with no corrosion. Any advice on further investigation? Many thanks

Don;t bother Just get a new switch

JB is correct

If it had been on while riding you would know all about it! e.g. A lot knocking from the engine!

Indeed - if you had ridden more than a few hundred yards, it would have probably sounded like a Dalek having a w*nk in a dustbin, followed by a 'rapid unintentional disassembly...'

Hi, I have replaced the switch but the low oil light is still on when it gets up to temp. No unusual sounds from the engine, it sounds fine. Any further things I can do to Investigate? Thanks, Ash

Hi, I have replaced the switch but the low oil light is still on when it gets up to temp. No unusual sounds from the engine, it sounds fine. Any further things I can do to Investigate? Thanks, Ash

Oil level Okay ?

Any chance the switch wire is rubbed through anywhere and touching when hot ?

Is there anything else "on" when it should not be ?

The Dash lights have a bad habit of their common grounds corroding

leading to some funky earth path problems

Oil level is just below the top of the sight glass, found a little leak on the lh cam tensioner which is now sorted. I'll check the path from the switch up and check all the wiring. The only thing on the dash I have is a flashing abs light after I removed the servo. I will have a good look this afternoon and get back to you, many thanks, Ash

Ash I think It should be safe BUT maybe stick an Oil pressure gauge on there

Any chance you are using low viscosity Fully synth oil ??

non Standard oil Filter ??

OC91 Mahle is what is "preferred" for them and if you order an OC91D you get the gasket rings too

Will get hold of a decent pressure gauge and stick it on, I have the new pressure relief spring from motorworks too which I will fit today. I am using comma x flow 20w50 mineral oil, only recently done an oil change and filter using motorworks mahle filter. I purchased the bike at 104,500 miles and went through it fully, servicing and have run it now for near 1000 miles when this light came on. I'll get back to you when I've checked all wiring and the oil pressure. Thanks again

I'd like to thank you guys for helping, I've traced the wire from the switch back, and found it come away from its connection to the engine block, it's been resting on the hot exhaust. New wire required. I'm really thankful for your help. It's good news. Many thanks, Ashley

I'd like to thank you guys for helping, I've traced the wire from the switch back, and found it come away from its connection to the engine block, it's been resting on the hot exhaust. New wire required. I'm really thankful for your help. It's good news. Many thanks, Ashley

Great news

Oil level Okay ?

Any chance the switch wire is rubbed through anywhere and touching when hot ?

Is there anything else "on" when it should not be ?

The Dash lights have a bad habit of their common grounds corroding

leading to some funky earth path problems

You all have my blessings

I'd like to thank you guys for helping, I've traced the wire from the switch back...

maybe you can help me with a similar issue of oil light staying on cos the wire from the sensor has snapped, possibly happened when I replaced the starter motor...now I cant see where the wire goes...is it routed with the side stand switch leads or the other wires from the starter motor?tia

e932b6e83aea38c7bcb816f154703f0e.jpg

maybe you can help me with a similar issue of oil light staying on cos the wire from the sensor has snapped, possibly happened when I replaced the starter motor...now I cant see where the wire goes...is it routed with the side stand switch leads or the other wires from the starter motor?tia

Here you go……

Attachments

• 8039F6D4-E2C1-49BC-8158-C114355B4768.jpg
    8039F6D4-E2C1-49BC-8158-C114355B4768.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 57

Back
Top Bottom