NC750X DCT review

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I would share my thoughts about my recently acquired 2019 model. I haven’t done many miles yet but this morning I took it out for an hour and a half with my wife on the back which is how it will be used most of the time.
Most importantly, she was happy with the comfort with her Airhawk fitted. I was quite concerned about this as the bare pillion seat is small and has little padding. The suspension is far better than I expected, probably better than the VStom in fact. For me, the worst thing about it was the complete lack of engine braking. It never seemed an issue riding solo because I obviously brace myself on the bars as I brake. With the additional weight of the pillion the braking has to be harder and therefore more pitch on the front forks and stress on the pillion.I found I had to start losing speed earlier to lessen the issue. I think it could be a bit of a PITA when touring two up in mountainous terrain where engine braking would be used constantly on steep declines. The power, even in sport mode, is pretty sluggish. I did plenty of research on the bike and wasn’t expecting a rocket ship, but it is worse than I anticipated. The instrument display has way too much stuff going on and it is difficult to read at a glance. I guess I will have to stick with it as my arthritis issues won’t get any better.
What a joy it was to jump on the cheapo SV650 to head back to Kent this afternoon, a proper fun bike!

I agree with most of what you say.
My girlfriend says my NC 750 X,( a 2018 bike) is more comfy than a 2019 GS. My NC is a manual, but I have another bike which is a DCT bike and use it to downshift manually for engine braking. My suspension is still set on 3 and still is OK with both of us on it. Personally I think the only fault is the display. Its rubbish.
Having said that, if it was all you can afford, its a perfectly good bike. The plus side is its cheap and VERY economical.

If I had swapped it for my old VStrom 650 ‘just for a change’ I would have been very regretful. The Suzuki is, in my opinion, a far superior bike if you don’t need DCT.

If I had swapped it for my old VStrom 650 ‘just for a change’ I would have been very regretful. The Suzuki is, in my opinion, a far superior bike if you don’t need DCT.

Not tried a V strom for many years, perhaps its time to try one again. Mind you the NC is a cracker for a cheap bike.

I've had a NC750X since February, and done over 2000 miles. It's a 2017 with DCT.
Build quality is superb. Mines been run through the worst of the winter salt, and with a wash-down and spruce up comes up like new. As usual, a hugger and fender extender are good addons ;)
Solo riding, I have commuted a few times to my Girlfriend's house (she's 240 miles away) using a mix of A roads and the A1 and a bit of the M6 (I am South Lakes, she's near St Albans).
It's a worthy contender with the F650GS IMO, similar power and performance. It may lack the higher-revs BHP of the BMW 800cc parallel twins, but in real world use of the rev range, there's not much in it. The NC pulls great from low revs, and sips the fuel (200 mile tank range). At 75mph on the M6 or A1 the revs are low, probably lower revving than the GS which makes it quite relaxing to cover miles.
I like the NC for bimbling round the Yorkshire Dales, or small roads in the Lakes, solo riding (as per my pic below)
Yesterday did my first 2-up ride (to get my covid test in Lancaster). The GF was quite complimentary of the pillion perch, but obviously prefers the R1200GS!!!
At speed limit rides the NC is fine. I would have no issues taking it on a longer tour, so long as I wasn't trying to keep up with my mates!
The budget build is best seen in the brakes (which are not great with the single disk up front), and the slightly "wooden" suspension (after ESA it seems a bit lacking).
The "Frunk" and the tail pack I use means it's OK for shopping trips, the larger screen makes 250 mile rides acceptable.
I agree with Mark, the OP, the engine braking lacks a bit, but as said, you can down-shift with the button on the left switchgear, or just back-off a but earlier to compensate...you get used to it :)
All in all I am quite a fan. Considering you can get a really nice, low miles one for £4-5k, they're a bit of a bargain!

Pic of mine below (in the best colour, Red :))

If you have ANY doubts about them as a capable ADV bike...:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EwIH1WZ47pc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mine:

Attachments

• IMG_20210222_165644.jpg
    IMG_20210222_165644.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 255

Back
Top Bottom