R1100GS alternator belt adjustment

West coast gser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mines is starting to squeal so reckon its time for adjustment which goin by my scribblings in the back of the manual where I write down everything that I do to the GS ,last time I replaced the hall sensor about 6k ago .only thing its a fekin pain taking off the hepco becker crash bars and refitting them ,takes longer to do that than adjust the belt :blast... any other folk with the crash bars fitted came up with an easier way instead removing the bars everytime to do a 5 min job ? cheers :)

Cut the alternator belt cover in half, so you have a top and bottom half. Saves any future fading around.

Managed to tighten the belt up..without removing the cover,took the weight off then removed bottom shock bolt and pushed the cover to the side to get to the top and left hand side nuts and vice versa on the right ..trolley jack handle under the alternator and pushed down to take up slack then nipped up the lower left nut then the others ..fired it up once cover was on n bottom shock bolt back in starts good with no chirp and the battery light goes quickly ..should be good for another few thousand miles..would cut the cover in half but couldn't get access with a hacksaw ..hey ho it'll do for now..cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom