Do you get used to the 'funny' indicators on pre '13 R1200GS models?

Max-GS12

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've not ridden one yet and it looks annoying but swapping from this to conventional (ie LH does it all) does it cause any issues?

And you have to press both together for hazards??

I cannot say I like the non-tactile feeling of the 1200 LC floppy indicator switch much either but it is at least 'normal'!

Ha! And guessing they are an actual clicky/clocky switch rather than the [impression of a butterfly farting] 'puft' when you move (!) a LC indicator switch?

Not yet lol!
Had the bike about a month and ride it every chance I get, still look down to cancel and occasionally do a comedy horn beep trying to cancel the signal!!

Had an 1150 GS about 16 years ago, picked up my R850GS last week. took about ten minutes to get back into the indicators, I prefer them over any other type. I don't know why BMW had to change it. Well I do but we will not go there. I really dislike modern beemers

Preferred the one each side

The Monopoly hotels as Bike christened them? :D Made perfect sense to me - left for left, right for right and a cancel button. It may have been too logical for some though!

H I don't know why BMW had to change it. Well I do but we will not go there.

Would I be correct in thinking that BMW needed somewhere to put the Wonderwheel, Cruise Control switch, Ride mode buttons and other modern gubbins?

I did try them out for the first time at the weekend, only an hours test ride mind but after years of left thumb indicating it was a nightmare. I dare say you are all right and I’d get used to it but I was a gibbering wreck after a couple of roundabouts.

:confused: :help

The cancel being the main thing, why didn’t they just make it one press to indicate and another press on the same button to cancel?

Trying to contort my left thumb off the throttle mid acceleration to try and find the cancel button seems plain daft?!

The Monopoly hotels as Bike christened them? :D Made perfect sense to me - left for left, right for right and a cancel button. It may have been too logical for some though!

Logic does not work for sone people.

NO, they`re an absolutely dreadful idea!
I had them on my `04 1200GS and was the first bike i`ve had the misfortune to experience them on and was only 1 of the 2 things that niggled on that bike, i never got used to them to the point i was always looking down to see if they were on or not.
The buttons are vague - difficult to tell whether you have pressed them or not - you have to look down at the insrument lights to see if you`ve been lucky and pressed them...
The cancelling button should not be on the throttle hand! And the button is vague/hard to locate with gloves on so that you push it in the right direction - you have to look down at the insrument lights to see if you`ve been lucky and cancelled them...
Thank god they don`t use that awkward system an the new bikes..

I’ve got them on my 92 GS and as for my 75 90s wait till you try this throttle side it’s a sort of misshaped two way top and bottom lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish they all add the ‘funny’ indicators

After a short period I loved those indicators

Better built and logical!

Back
Top Bottom