Do you get used to the 'funny' indicators on pre '13 R1200GS models?

I like them but I find the horn has not been a natural fit for me. The self cancelling timeout is adjustable with a GS911.

I had them on a few bikes. Bmw like to be a bit different. They were an improvement on the earlier up/down switch. Imagine if they were still in use today. I haven’t counted how many switches are in my bars but I don’t need another 2. JJH

Agree about the horn, but there again I very rarely use it.

I think that the old style are way better especially when featuring self cancelling - large , simple, was never a fan of the jap style, midget gem switch and find that awkward for indicating or cancelling ind and simultaneously trying to grab clutch to change gear.

I guess Bmw gave in to journo pressure and all those who were put off without really trying them.

I've not ridden one yet and it looks annoying but swapping from this to conventional (ie LH does it all) does it cause any issues?

And you have to press both together for hazards??

I cannot say I like the non-tactile feeling of the 1200 LC floppy indicator switch much either but it is at least 'normal'!

You get used to them very quickly and soon realise it's a brilliant set up and so much better than a little flimsy plastic knob.

Having disliked them for years i then got a bike with the little plastic switch thing and now doing a lot on a 1250RT
which also has the little switch i now appreciate just how good the old switches on my 2011 1200GS are.

Do you get used to the 'funny' indicators on pre '13 R1200GS models?

Question should be do you get used to the funny indicators on post 2013 models.

Returning after a break of 5 years I considered a variety of bikes ( some non BMW)
I have settled on a 2012 gs partly because ( IMHO) no other engine is as nice, even the R Nine T which I though had the same engine, but they have done something horrible to it. But the indicators on all these bikes is “ one button does it all”. Im afraid after about half a million miles on BMWs with proper 3 button indicators. The new fangled indicators whilst not a deal breaker helped guide me back to an older bike.

My first BM was an R100GS that I bought from Howard Millichap. Some will remember him, he had a mission to fix the things BM had got 'wrong'.

Anyway, he had reconfigured the switches on that bike to a completely different layout to BMW's design. Now THAT was a mind f%*k!

Got used to the seperate L-R indicators on my 05 GS within a very short space of time.

Contrast that to Honda swapping the indicator and horn position on the new Africa Twin, and after several months I am still not used to it. I'd happily go to the old BMW indicator setup though.

Give me back the old type anyday ; left thumb press to go left , right thumb press to go right . Perfect .
I think the right thumb also cancelled , but I forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both my Harley and my TC 1200 have the correct indicator layout, it’s super intuitive to those with a rational mind.

My gloved thumb is too fat for a ‘one button’ system.

I preferred the old style on my R1150R, so simple to use and IIRC big enough too. Contrast with the current "follow the trend" set up and I still find myself looking for the button, even after having them on BMWs since 2015.

I've not ridden one yet and it looks annoying but swapping from this to conventional (ie LH does it all) does it cause any issues?

I cannot say I like the non-tactile feeling of the 1200 LC floppy indicator switch much either but it is at least 'normal'!
Yes one does get used to them, it's just a different way of doing things.

I much prefer them to riding all my other bikes.

I've had my TC for 10 years now and still have to look down to see where the indicators are so I'm very much in the 'They're daft' camp.

Back
Top Bottom