Toolkit?

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to buy a toolkit to keep with me at all times.
Is it best to make one up from bits bought separately or is there a one kit fits all out there?
im doing the NC500 in a few week... would be sensible to get sorted.

What's everyone using?

Ok, I will stick my neck out, and no, I don’t tow a trailer ..

Jump pack
Compressor
Pressure gauge
Dynamo plug
Dynamo plug tails
Tyre levers
*Spare inner tube rear

1x Ratchet (3/4)
7 x sockets (12-19 (3/4))
9 x sockets (5-13 (1/4))
1 x 1/4M - 3/4F adapter
1 x 3/4F - 1/2M adapter
1x extension (3/4)
1x wobble extension (3/4)
1x bit adaptor (3/4)
Set of Torx adapters (25-50)
3x Phillips bits; (1,2,3)
2x Pozidriv bits; (1,2)
6x Torx bits (10-30)
4x Hex Bits (3,4,5,6)
Drive handle
Bit extension
1/4 drive T bar
Spindle key
Screwdriver set
Screwdriver micros flat and phillips
Head torch
Small pliers
Small cable cutters
Spanner’s 8-13,E6-E12
Scalpel

Thread lock
Super glue
Metal epoxy putty

Gaffer tape
Nitro tape

Junction clip
Cable ties long x 5
WD40 small

Hose clips (S/M/L)
Oil funnel
Hand wipes
Spark plug tool
Plug puller
Spare plugs

Yeah. I know .. expresso machine, scuba set, bbq tongues, carburettor for a mk3 cortina, etc

I own a GS not a transit van lol

Oh btw you forgot spare fuses and the kitchen sink ;)

I own a GS not a transit van lol

Oh btw you forgot spare fuses and the kitchen sink ;)

Fuses are in the bag with the nuts, bolts and washers, length of fine wire, etc

Hi Guys, here is a couple of photos of my top box. I have an electrical plug from the battery for the compressor. Basic tools and puncture kit. The oxford pouch is a disc lock. The tools take up very little space and I still get my box liner bag in, fully packed.
I can get both wheels off with these tools and basic maintenance.
Cheers, Pete
0dee1a4636e8f7bd524aaebeac4dcd79.jpg
48d5a0d6e15c55bed34bf9b04ad5076d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apart from a puncture kit & pump I only cary a credit card & my UK & EU brakedown number.

Hi Guys, here is a couple of photos of my top box. I have an electrical plug from the battery for the compressor. Basic tools and puncture kit. The oxford pouch is a disc lock. The tools take up very little space and I still get my box liner bag in, fully packed.
Cheers, Pete

That is a great idea and solution to storage , fair play.

I notice that there are several vendors that offer toolkits for the LC GS/GSA, and they add lots of nice tools, such as hex spanners, sockets and hex bits as well as torxs bits.

Hower, the only hex nuts I've seen on the LC GS/GSA is for adjusting the mirrors (tool provided with the bike) and the not on the front axel and for the bolts holding the front calipers, i.e 2 sizes of hex nuts.
Hex bits are needed for draining engine oil and filling the rear drive, i.e 2 sizes of hex bits. I have found no flat head or any kind of phillips head screws.

So:
2 x hex sockets
2 x hex bits
6 x torxs bit
Ratchet and a short extension arm

And add:
Leatherman
Nylon tie-wraps
Insulation tape
Tire repair kit
A small compressor
Gloves to protect your hands

This boils down to the fact that in my humble opinion, all those fancy expensive toolkits are a total waste of money. Even if they offer nice quality tools, most of the included tools will be of no use...

Cheers, Pete

Super idea, do not forget to take topcase on bike. :D

I notice that there are several vendors that offer toolkits for the LC GS/GSA, and they add lots of nice tools, such as hex spanners, sockets and hex bits as well as torxs bits.

Hower, the only hex nuts I've seen on the LC GS/GSA is for adjusting the mirrors (tool provided with the bike) and the not on the front axel and for the bolts holding the front calipers, i.e 2 sizes of hex nuts.
Hex bits are needed for draining engine oil and filling the rear drive, i.e 2 sizes of hex bits. I have found no flat head or any kind of phillips head screws.

So:
2 x hex sockets
2 x hex bits
6 x torxs bit
Ratchet and a short extension arm

And add:
Leatherman
Nylon tie-wraps
Insulation tape
Tire repair kit
A small compressor
Gloves to protect your hands

This boils down to the fact that in my humble opinion, all those fancy expensive toolkits are a total waste of money. Even if they offer nice quality tools, most of the included tools will be of no use...

Fancy? Yes. Expensive? Yes Useful and used? Absolutely. Of course I could put those tools together, probably for less cost, but I chose not to. I use my tool roll for every job I do on the bike, so I have definitely justified the price. I have used every part of the roll, no nothing has gone to waste and includes all those hex bits you refer to.

Always remember the 70 Torx as I broke a gear lever in a ditch once when run off the road by a distracted Spanish Lady ( she was sweet and we had lunch as means of a sorry ) and replace the broken lever with the spare I carry , without the 70T I would have ben fooked waiting for recovery , oh carry spare levers as well always handy in in a spill.
Along with tools always carry things that you may need but never would imagine that you would .

Is it best to make one up from bits bought separately or is there a one kit fits all out there?

What's everyone using?

Look at your awesome steed’s nuts, bolts and screws. Then consider how many of these you normally touch in the period between the steed’s 6000 mile service interval. Maybe you never touch any of them at all? If so, why might you suddenly start on the NC 500 which, though Scotland, is not Outer Mongolia, the Central African Republic or even, France. If you do touch them, then take the same very small number of tools that you do use between service intervals, because they won’t change.

Alongside this cunningly simple plan, maybe accept that you very probably won’t be changing the gearbox on the roadside. But, if you were anticipating that you would or might be, you wouldn’t be asking what tools to take anywhere, as you’d already know.

@Winjar
I think your the winner, great idea.
Think ill do that and make a custom tool set :)

If i get a serious problem then BMW or the AA will be called.
Last ride out to Dent a scooter rider rang the AA, and had to wait 11 hrs at the side of the road in piss pouring rain!!
So id rather have a few tools handy, to get me at least back to camp and wait there!

@Winjar
I think your the winner, great idea.
Think ill do that and make a custom tool set :)

If i get a serious problem then BMW or the AA will be called.
Last ride out to Dent a scooter rider rang the AA, and had to wait 11 hrs at the side of the road in piss pouring rain!!
So id rather have a few tools handy, to get me at least back to camp and wait there!

was not my idea, credit to man who make it.

What's everyone using?

Don’t bother with the NC500 , with the staycation it will be jammed pack with motor homes , caravans ,despite all the the signs asking slow moving vehicles to pull over it gets extremely frustrating, was doing this route long before the nc500 , watched b&b triple in price , we used to do it off peak to aid travelling at a reasonable pace. Try some of the other roads, Tongue to Lairg to Bonar Bridge is a good stretch also slightly further south Corran Ferry to Strontian to Ardnamurchan Point , there and back is a good 6 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom