Thread: garmin Zumo Info

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

garmin Zumo Info

Does anybody know if the zumo (any model) will allow trail directions IE turn by turn for GPX files from the likes of the TET website? I currently use a montana but this is not turn by turn simply a follow the track system as it runs OS maps.

TIA.

I believe the ZUMO XT can do this ....

I think this video confirms it somewhere but I watched it a while ago and can’t be certain without watching it again ....it won’t be 12 mins of your time wasted either way

https://youtu.be/OD0JKEPH7fo
    My current “adventure bikes" ; VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT - like a GS but better and CCM Spitfire Bobber Stealth - nothing like a GS just more fun My BMW history; K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB. Happy Steve?

I would say no, with almost certainty, the os maps are just a big picture raster images, if you use say the openstreet maps they are vector and available to route on.
    with a raster map the is a basic underlying road map but it does not have all the detail of the os map, you cant route on a picture
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

www.thektmforum.com for all your ktm needs

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    I would say no, with almost certainty, the os maps are just a big picture raster images, if you use say the openstreet maps they are vector and available to route on.
    with a raster map the is a basic underlying road map but it does not have all the detail of the os map, you cant route on a picture
    The video shows that the Zumo XT can indeed do turn by turn navigation for Offroad tracks if you download the correct routable maps but I don’t know anything about the TET maps etc so I’m out .
    My current “adventure bikes" ; VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT - like a GS but better and CCM Spitfire Bobber Stealth - nothing like a GS just more fun My BMW history; K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB. Happy Steve?

No. It won’t do it for tracks. You’ll have to follow it by eye (not that hard) as you are doing now.
    A Montana, even the 600 series, will be more advanced/customisable than the (very good) XT.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    The video shows that the Zumo XT can indeed do turn by turn navigation for Offroad tracks if you download the correct routable maps but I don’t know anything about the TET maps etc so I’m out .
    That look like its worth investigating further, will take a look. Ta

Good point, didn't think it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post

No. It won’t do it for tracks. You’ll have to follow it by eye (not that hard) as you are doing now.
    A Montana, even the 600 series, will be more advanced/customisable than the (very good) XT.
    It is very easy to follow as you say but the ball ache is getting to the track/picking the track up.. done it this way for years just thought there may be an easier way..cheers

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post

I’m looking at buying a Zumo XT and stumbled across the video in my earlier post . I won’t be using it Offroad so I’m not really bothered but how come the guy in the video manages to do it on an XT albeit using a downloaded map of Norway .....cos that’s where he lives.

ive just bought an xt,screen is super bright and clear and the unit does everything really fast very pleased with it

Quote Originally Posted by Marlou View Post
    It is very easy to follow as you say but the ball ache is getting to the track/picking the track up.. done it this way for years just thought there may be an easier way..cheers
    Waypoints at the beginning/end of the track.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

Most of the (freely or cheaply available) OSM based uk topo maps with higher detail you can get are non routable.
    Especially to the details of BOATs that are part of the TET (south of England). It is best (and easier and “safer”) to use tracks to navigate those.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I’m looking at buying a Zumo XT and stumbled across the video in my earlier post . I won’t be using it Offroad so I’m not really bothered but how come the guy in the video manages to do it on an XT albeit using a downloaded map of Norway .....cos that’s where he lives.
    Because you are comparing chalk and cheese, the question posed was about OS maps, now as said os maps are not maps they are a big picture file effectively and not routable. but as said there are vector maps that are, you can get vector trail maps of UK but they are not OS maps, I will take a wild ass guess that the guy in Norway is not using Garmin ordnance survey maps of the UK, if they are routable then they are a vector format, in fact a quick search of the Garmin site shows that their version of OS maps for norway are vector and routable.
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

www.thektmforum.com for all your ktm needs

Not all vector maps are routable. Some maps with raster graphics have routable data.
    It always depends (check) on the map.

Regardless of that I think OP is asking if the Zumo XT supports turn indications offroad, I guess when using tracks, not routes.
    Some software or navs (my pushbike’s Garming Edge 25 does this) will warn you when there is a turn in the track you are following. The XT doesn’t.
    To be fair, I never saw the need.

For full pink-line-to-be-recalculated-route: see the answers above.

You can use the profiles on your Montana to switch between road riding navigation maps & settings to be routed to the beginning of the trails, and then switch to offroad mode (topo/higher detail maps) and follow tracks from there.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

Because you are comparing chalk and cheese, the question posed was about OS maps, now as said os maps are not maps they are a big picture file effectively and not routable. but as said there are vector maps that are, you can get vector trail maps of UK but they are not OS maps, I will take a wild ass guess that the guy in Norway is not using Garmin ordnance survey maps of the UK, if they are routable then they are a vector format, in fact a quick search of the Garmin site shows that their version of OS maps for norway are vector and routable.
    I’m not comparing anything I was just trying to be helpful as I’d recently seen the video whilst researching the XT , otherwise I’m a bit of a GPS numpty. If you read the OPs question again that’s not exactly what he asked though.

He asked if ANY Zumo model can do turn by turn for trails - then the answer is yes . He ‘stated’ that his current Montana can’t when using OS maps , and you explained why & neither will any other nav . He also mentioned the TET which doesn’t limit itself to the UK , I have no idea what other maps are available for the TET perhaps others like the Norwegian one in the video ? I’m not sure but I think Norway forms part of the TET too ?

Maybe the question could’ve been worded slightly better