Intermittent ignition

basingstokesteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2013 90th edition RT 1200 that I have owned from new and recently on occasion when i put the key in the ignition and turn it nothing happens i can take the key out and put it back in 2, 3, 4 times and nothing then try again and hey presto it works, this is very much intermittent on other occasions I put the key in a bingo its ok first time.
Has anyone else on here experienced this is it something to worry about or a simple fix I don't want it to leave be stranded far from home.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'm no expert but I also own a 2013 RT from new. First thing I did was to cut the tightly wrapped cable ties around the headstock ignition wires. It is I believe a cause for the ignition wires to brake. Perhaps this is the cause of your intermittent ignition. Maybe if you turn the handlebars and handle the ignition wires you will identify this problem. I believe that BMW sell a repair kit for this.
Otherwise I would suspect a faulty ring antenna...

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=35&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_35_IA_20

good luck...

On the GS range the fault EWS is displayed on the Kombi

It suggests a ring antenna failure - however it has already been mentioned, that a broken wire in the headstock area of the harness is often the cause DAMHIK ;)

The other would be a dirty microswitch pack, but looking reaoem, i cant see one on the ignition / lock assembly for the RT

If it is a broken wire , it can usually be provoked / confirmed by moving the bars lock to lock, and atte
mpting to start the bike at either extreme

if it starts one way and not the other , a broken wire(s) is more than lilkey the culprit

Back
Top Bottom