GIVI Alaska Panniers???

Hartley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Im going to be putting Givi quick release racks on my 21 GS. Im considering the new Alaska panniers but have seen a comment on Sportsbikeshop website about the lid of the pannier not clearing the grabrail on the non exhaust side?

I know they have a system that allows the pannier to tilt outwards but i was wondering if anyone on here may have these panniers?

Cheers
Paul

I have them - and I’m the one who left the review on SBS.

The panniers are great, apart from the issue I mentioned. At first Givi seemed interested in addressing the issue but eventually their response was to say “just use the tilting mechanism”.

I’ve not used mine much yet but I think it will be ok.

This is how they look on the bike:

e8deaede9d35a52f83093f2b4757105d.jpg

I took a picture from overhead when trying to explain the issue to Givi…

ac3f16868cd76ce9eb91b39142fea1cc.jpg

If you need any more info let me know.

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply, i see what you mean. I had noticed Givi say the Dolomiti aluminium panniers are not suitable, this must be why. Thanks for that, appreciated.
I take it the tilt works ok? I do like the look of them.

Yes, the tilt mechanism seems to work well, and feels pretty secure. I had to adjust the position of the main catches (just by swapping the position of some washers) to get the perfect fit.

I suppose the advantage of the tilt mechanism is that the panniers sit closer to the bike which reduces width and (I guess) improves weight distribution by keeping the weight closer to the centre of the bike.

Overall, if you prefer removable frames (I do), these seem a reasonable compromise, and for me at least, preferable to the varios.

Great, I thanks for the reply mate. I think I may go for it. I’ve a big Trekker 52( plastic) topbox that I’ll be using. I just need to make sure the tilt mechanism brings the boxes out far enough to clear it when opening the lids.
All the best
Paul

I might be wrong here, as I have not tried this my self, but from looking at the picture from above, it looks like the varia panniers rack has wider grab rails than the steel rack made for the alu boxes.
Hence, if you do the same combination with the oem rack, using the oem paniers on the side and keep the vario case top box the very same issue may rise.

Great, I thanks for the reply mate. I think I may go for it. I’ve a big Trekker 52( plastic) topbox that I’ll be using. I just need to make sure the tilt mechanism brings the boxes out far enough to clear it when opening the lids.
All the best
Paul

They lean out quite a bit…

5181a9df0a4847299c0880148b82206d.jpg

Don’t hold me to it, but I think you would have about 30cm of clearance on the near side pannier to the centre of the top box.

Nice one, thanks Richard, that’s really useful. Givi mounts arrived today, I’ll get them fitted at the weekend and should be able to confirm they’ll clear using the picture. Looks like it’ll be good.

Cheers

Took the plunge and went for the Alaska boxes. Really pleased with then. The tilt mechanism works well to clear the Trekker 52l ( plastic) topbox I have.
Had to add the washers to get the retaining latch to locate but that’s it.

I’ll add pictures if I can figure out how to do it.

Hi guys - I’m also considering the Alaska panniers for my 1250. Just curious about the full width of the bike with these fitted. Would one of you mind measuring them up when you get a chance?
Cheers

I did measure it, if I recall correctly it’s 93cm wide.

I have them - and I’m the one who left the review on SBS.

The panniers are great, apart from the issue I mentioned. At first Givi seemed interested in addressing the issue but eventually their response was to say “just use the tilting mechanism”.

I’ve not used mine much yet but I think it will be ok.

This is how they look on the bike:

e8deaede9d35a52f83093f2b4757105d.jpg

I took a picture from overhead when trying to explain the issue to Givi…

ac3f16868cd76ce9eb91b39142fea1cc.jpg

If you need any more info let me know.
What a massively helpful post. I too fitted the rack and found that L/H box fouled the grab rail. Stupidly, I didn't even think about using the tilt mechanism, probably because I moved that boxes from my previous T7, where I never needed to use the tilt. I sent the order back to SBS, so I've had to ask for it to be turned round again, which is annoying. Givi do state that the boxes are unsuitable for the Dolomiti range and it would be really helpful if that could add a line of two around the need to use the tilt with the Alaska. I have a Trekker Outback top box which also needs to go on and I'm assuming that you mount something similar? I would be good to confirm the part number of the mounting plate that you are using. - TIA

^^^ it’s been a while and I no longer have the bike, but from memory I used the standard Givi aluminium top box rack for the GS, which is the SRA5108…

if you want the exact same bracket in black it’s SRA5108b. That’s the one I have.

Update to the Givi Alaska saga, I'm trying to use the tilting mechanism, but Givi have changed the design of the PLR5108 racks so that this no longer works, or rather it half works but you stand a good chance of dropping a full pannier on your feet. The only safe way to use the LH Alaska pannier, is to fully dismount it before opening.

Update to the Givi Alaska saga, I'm trying to use the tilting mechanism, but Givi have changed the design of the PLR5108 racks so that this no longer works, or rather it half works but you stand a good chance of dropping a full pannier on your feet. The only safe way to use the LH Alaska pannier, is to fully dismount it before opening.
Hi Stephen,
What have Givi changed on the frames?
I will admit that I’ve had the pannier fall off when using the tilt mechanism taking stuff out. If the inner bag is tight and pulling it out lifts the box off the lower locations.
It’s certainly a flawed design but I like having the rapid fit rails. Buying again I’d probably go out back.

Hi Stephen,
What have Givi changed on the frames?
I will admit that I’ve had the pannier fall off when using the tilt mechanism taking stuff out. If the inner bag is tight and pulling it out lifts the box off the lower locations.
It’s certainly a flawed design but I like having the rapid fit rails. Buying again I’d probably go out back.
Hi Problem is that the LH Alaska pannier lid fouls the bikes grab rail and cannot be opened on the bike. Not too much of a problem if you could use the hinge out mechanism built into the Alaska pannier (Givi call this the "hold it fast" system. Essentially, the “hold it” arm is designed to clip on to a straight length of tubing, whereas the PLR 5108 has a length of tubing in this area with a curve, which means that the arm is only partially engaged with the rack and will fall off with any weight in it when hinged out from the bike, on your feet if unlucky. Givi have told me that the design of the rack was changed in production, with no account being taken of the "hold it fast" system. Here's some shots of the problem with the hinge and the lid. Givi have told me, in writing, that the Alaska cases are on compatible with the PLR5108 rack. They're still selling them though. I bought the PLR5108 from Sportsbikeshop, who have been brilliant as always. Givi couldn't seem to care less.

Attachments

• 20230711_094134.jpg
    20230711_094134.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230909_134526.jpg
    20230909_134526.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi Problem is that the LH Alaska pannier lid fouls the bikes grab rail and cannot be opened on the bike. Not too much of a problem if you could use the hinge out mechanism built into the Alaska pannier (Givi call this the "hold it fast" system. Essentially, the “hold it” arm is designed to clip on to a straight length of tubing, whereas the PLR 5108 has a length of tubing in this area with a curve, which means that the arm is only partially engaged with the rack and will fall off with any weight in it when hinged out from the bike, on your feet if unlucky. Givi have told me that the design of the rack was changed in production, with no account being taken of the "hold it fast" system. Here's some shots of the problem with the hinge and the lid. Givi have told me, in writing, that the Alaska cases are on compatible with the PLR5108 rack. They're still selling them though. I bought the PLR5108 from Sportsbikeshop, who have been brilliant as always. Givi couldn't seem to care less.
Oh right, I see.
If I remember correctly I’m pretty sure I relocated the hold it arm. I believe there are another set of holes to allow this. I know I had to adjust something.
Been a while and I’m going from memory but I’ll have a look when I get home tonight and let you know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom