Replacement clutch plate options - What do you guys like ?

MotoRevive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm doing a few 1150 clutches over the next few weeks. Usually I just bang in the OEM plate. I've fitted different ones but I have no idea how they got on because those customers rode off into the sunset with a smile on their face never to be seen again.

Motorworks for example sell oil resistant ones. Options with longer splines to save your crank etc.

Are they worth the money ?

Can the collective share their long term experiences with me so I may better advise my customers.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=30&Ct=CA&SbCt=BA_15_30_CA_50

Thanks in advance

Ted

The longer spline ones are a good idea IF they have standard lining

The Oil resistant clutches can be quite grabby until bedded in and then seem to wear the metal plates faster than it does!

A wee heads up Be careful with the Crank seals from Motorworks! They are sourced from Taiwan and there is a black felt outer cover that is impossible to see if you have a good installation of the inner seal!

I only use OEM seals there now I got one caught off square and could not see it

Till it started leaking sometime later !! Cured with OE seals!

I’ve only fitted the longer spline friction plate into customers bikes which have side cars attached, as it’s at least 15 years since I’ve seen a normal bike with stripped splines. On average only fit an oil resistant friction plate once a year if the customer insists (although I do currently have one on the shelf), in 33 years of working on BMW’s I’ve yet to see an oil leak that’s bad enough and without any warning that causes a bike to be unrideable . I’ll tell you one thing, the Motorworks pattern 1200 friction plate judders like feck and takes a while to bed in. I fit the OEM plate, in fact it’s what I’ll be doing today :D

The longer spline ones are a good idea IF they have standard lining

The Oil resistant clutches can be quite grabby until bedded in and then seem to wear the metal plates faster than it does!

A wee heads up Be careful with the Crank seals from Motorworks! They are sourced from Taiwan and there is a black felt outer cover that is impossible to see if you have a good installation of the inner seal!

I only use OEM seals there now I got one caught off square and could not see it

Till it started leaking sometime later !! Cured with OE seals!

Yes. I only use OEM oil seals in places where I can't change them easily. I learned that the hard way many years ago. As you say. It's not worth the saving if you have to pull it apart again.

I’ve only fitted the longer spline friction plate into customers bikes which have side cars attached, as it’s at least 15 years since I’ve seen a normal bike with stripped splines. On average only fit an oil resistant friction plate once a year if the customer insists (although I do currently have one on the shelf), in 33 years of working on BMW’s I’ve yet to see an oil leak that’s bad enough and without any warning that causes a bike to be unrideable . I’ll tell you one thing, the Motorworks pattern 1200 friction plate judders like feck and takes a while to bed in. I fit the OEM plate, in fact it’s what I’ll be doing today :D

I've NEVER seen one with stripped splines in my life. Motorworks sell their long splined version like it's every other bike :)

Where do you source your OEM ? I have a trade account with my local dealer but they're still very pricey.

I've NEVER seen one with stripped splines in my life. Motorworks sell their long splined version like it's every other bike :)

Where do you source your OEM ? I have a trade account with my local dealer but they're still very pricey.

working in the trade (car trade) ,if you get 10% of from a dealer you are doing well.oh and you may get free delivery

I've NEVER seen one with stripped splines in my life..

It was very common on the clutch’s of the K100 models. Even recently, when there are very few in everyday use one arrived with stripped clutch splines.

It was very common on the clutch’s of the K100 models. Even recently, when there are very few in everyday use one arrived with stripped clutch splines.

I meant on an 1150.. I haven't done a clutch on a K100 for a LONG time so I can't even remember. I avoid them !! :D

I've seen quite a few K100's with stripped bevel drives though. They really didn't think when they jammed that big car engine onto a transmission designed for half the HP.

I meant on an 1150..

I've seen quite a few K100's with stripped bevel drives though. They really didn't think when they jammed that big car engine onto a transmission designed for half the HP.

Like this one that arrived today :D

Attachments

• 819EA42F-0CAF-40C7-A443-3A52F83C502C.jpg
    819EA42F-0CAF-40C7-A443-3A52F83C502C.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 166

Back
Top Bottom