R1100rs CCP

Johnstorey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening. I've been running a 96 RS for a few months and i'm slowly bringing the servicing up to date. I find it has a bit too much surging going on. A lot more than any of the 1100s's I've owned. So far I've tended to the basics, ie tappets, plugs, cleaned the bodies and butterflies. Reset the throttle pot to about 10mv at zero throttle then idle screw turned in til about 380mv is achieved. this gave a decent idle of 10-1100rpm once bodies were synced.
It does'nt feel smooth at low speeds and I feel rather vulnerable on busy small roundabouts.
So, tonight I noticed that it doesn't have an O2 sensor, nor does it have a CCP installed. Although it does have a CAT. And, it also has a CO pot fitted on the left side of the frame. I'm really surprised that is has a surging issue considering there's no closed loop control going on.
Can anyone offer any points to check please. I'm not beat yet and I would love to fall in love with the bike before I loose heart with it.
Cheers
John

No CCP is the correct CCP for your configuration. Did you set the CO the the specified 1,5-2%?
The 'correct' procedure for the throttle pot would be to set it at 240mv, then use the throttle stop to go to 340, then lock and do the other body throttle screw until you have perfect balance. I am not sure what you mean with idle screw, but it must be the throttle stop screw, or forbidden screw.... since thats the one that affects the TPS-value.

More information on the whole precedure and why to take 240 instead of 0 or 10 here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tps-alignment-idle-speed-adjustment-beyond-zero-zero.996719/
Hope this helps.

Hello and thank you very much for your technical advice. I've just logged in and read your reply. I'm keen to crack this before I start looking at some transmission issues it might have. I bought the bike in good faith and right now i'm feeling rather let down.

I occasionally balance throttle bodies on 6 cyl TVR's which have two throttle pots and individual balance screws so i'm confident in doing this. Your data differs from what I have done so i'll re do the settings to your recommendations. I found the current data on a BMW forum so thought/hoped it would be correct, maybe I should have looked further.
Yes I was referring to the the throttle stop as the idle screw.

Anyway, i'll have a look at the link you provided and i'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
John

You shouldn’t have touched the throttle stop screws. There is no need to fiddle with them at all... does your bike have the single throttle cable that loops from one throttle body over to the other, with cable adjusters on the left body and one on the right. Or does it have the later cable junction box under the battery carrier ?

Hi Steptoe. Thanks and i'm sure you're right. The bike just wasn't running nicely and I had to do something. I found loads of references online referring to the zero zero procedure and therefore thought i'd try it. And it seems it was the wrong path to take. Never mind, i'm sure get it back to where it should be.
Yes, my throttle cable is the single type looping across to the second body.
cheers

So, we have a result. I followed the links you provided and it all made good sense thank you.
It now idles nicely, though I would like a slightly higher idle.
On the road it was good at low speed and very steady when cornering etc, which was a problem.
I used a combination of a throat flow meter and vacuum stacks to confirm equal air flow during idle setting as well as the voltmeter for the tps setting.
Set the CO to 2% to give a stable idle and Bob's your uncle.

So thanks again for your guidance.
Ride safe
John

Back
Top Bottom