Denali soundbomb FFS

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So long story short,

Feel free to take the piss etc...

I had a soundbomb mini, didn't like it so sold it and bought a soundbomb split, with plans to fit it to the hexhead.

Ended up not fitting it, and decided i wanted a compact. Less hassle and one bracket to fit it.

So i sold the split & the bike and procured a compact and an LC

Went to fit it over the weekend , and watched one of the various online guides (i think it was the bikething)

He fitted a mini & compact...

All going well until he said...

The compact wont fit a lowered GS due to it clashing with the suspension at full compression WTF!

So i tried it to see, just in case ... Well it doesn't clear the brake line for a start, never mind the compression issue.

I thought about mounting it elsewhere, but there's sod all room under the beak, and the forks have such an arc, it hits the unit almost

everywhere i put it

I did see a bracket online that rotates it 45 degrees, but there still the compression issue to get round...

So before I stick it back for sale and buy another split, has anyone managed to overcome this issue with the compact and a lowered GS?

Looks like you're going to have to get a custom bracket made up

Vehicle Fitment
BMW R1200GS 2015-2018
BMW R1200GS Adventure 2014-2019
BMW R1250GS 2019-2021
BMW R1250GS Adventure 2019-2021
Fitment Note: This kit is not compatible with lowered bikes. Make sure your bike is not lowered before installing this product.

Sure I have seen one mounted on the engine bars of a gsa

I fannied about with a soundbomb and gave up as I couldn't fit it without it fouling brakelines..Mark Hooton (cymarc engineering) from this parish has one mounted on the rear carrier area. I got ,mine from nippy's, no mention about not being able to fit it to lowered bikes, but to be fair to them they took it back and refunded

Is the BMW’s original horn not adequate?

Possibly, but it barely gets attention. If you ride inside the M25 on a regular basis (for example) it's handy to have something with a bit more depth - not to berate other users, but just to give a quick warning that you're there.

I hardly ever used to use the horn, but since being punted off by someone not looking (admitted to police), I now use possibly once or twice a week.

I did fit a soundbomb on an earlier LC I had, but wasn't keen for a number of reasons. On my latest bike I have a low tone BMW car horn, works great, no relays or new bracketry, just a tweak of the original bracket.

Cost was £10

Possibly, but it barely gets attention. If you ride inside the M25 on a regular basis (for example) it's handy to have something with a bit more depth - not to berate other users, but just to give a quick warning that you're there.

I hardly ever used to use the horn, but since being punted off by someone not looking (admitted to police), I now use possibly once or twice a week.

I did fit a soundbomb on an earlier LC I had, but wasn't keen for a number of reasons. On my latest bike I have a low tone BMW car horn, works great, no relays or new bracketry, just a tweak of the original bracket.

Cost was £10

Sounds a better option at a bargain price

I got a low tone BMW car horn off Ebay for £15, sounds much better than the moped like original fitment horn.
ef5d37ef50adc3da17e1387efdf804ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I have the Soundbomb on my bike and it deffo makes people take notice when you use it. Very good investment according to me. I had a problem with the mounting bracket, a few 2013 to 2016 bikes had a different head stock, most have a M8 bolt that holds it together but a few have M6. They have a different bracket.
Fitment Note: This kit is not compatible with some versions of the R1200GS LC and the R1200GSA LC. Please check to determine if this product is compatible with your particular motorcycle before ordering. Here's how you know: If the location where the horn mount is to be attached has an M8 bolt threading from the right (throttle) side of the bike into the welded nut on the left (clutch) side of the bike, this mount will work! (HMT.07.10700). If the location where the horn mount is to be attached has an M6 bolt threading from the left (clutch side of the bike) into the welded nut on the right (throttle) side of the bike, this mount will NOT work, the correct mount for this application is HMT.07.10400

A few steps forward,

Turns out you can split the Compact unit into 2 parts , compressor & horn,

Denali sell replacement split horns and tubing so i could either buy just the tube, or the tube & horn together.

Or i could just cut the bracket off the compact horn assembly , and drill some holes in it for mounting. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would work

But that would be a one shot attempt.

luckily nippys are doing the split unit for a very very good price, so i picked up one of those.

i'll stick the compact and the brace bracket in the for sale section shortly

I got a low tone BMW car horn off Ebay for £15, sounds much better than the moped like original fitment horn.
ef5d37ef50adc3da17e1387efdf804ca.jpg

Thanks for putting that up.. just bought one off eBay. Cracking value for money. £12. As peeps say, only use it once or twice a year. Denali is brilliant, but soooo expensive. :D

Hi
have you the link to this horn Thanks
Just type BMW Low Tone Horn
7159421 into E-bay search like on this screenshot and see what comes up. The car breaker boys seem to know the BMW GS tossers have weedy moped horns as standard fitment and jack the price up a little. I think most cars (like the BMW X5 for instance) have 2 horns fitted, a Low and High Tone pair...easy to do on a car with plenty of room, not so easy on a bike, so the more manly sounding Low Tone second hand car horn becomes a sought after item... to replace the weedy 'meep-meep road runner cartoon character' standard fitment.
Not as good as Denali type thing but a relatively cheap direct plug in replacement without the faff of brackets rubbing brake hoses, split systems etc.
734fd31ca261687c178db2aa9738ecac.jpg

modern volvo horns are seriously loud, would they fit ?

I'm sure you can get any to 'fit', but the BMW one is the simplest - same connector, no relay and only a slight tweak of the bracket.

Back
Top Bottom