Post Brexit - Green card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I've had green cards too - Balkans, Turkey, Morocco etc.

But we are now back to the loss of freedoms with fixed periods and itineraries.

Maybe it's just me but I am unable to see the slightest benefit to make up for this loss.

I accept it may not be on some peeps radar but the loss of freedoms is a big thing to me.

Just saying ......... and whinging. :D:D

So Wapping made me have a look at my policy.

This is an excerpt from Foreign use. It looks ok to me for 90 days.

Section 4 - Foreign Use

The policy will provide the minimum insurance needed by the relevant law to allow you to use your vehicle: In any
country which is a member of the EU; and In any other countries, which have made arrangements to meet the conditions
of, and are approved by, the commission of the European Union.
The full cover shown on your schedule will automatically apply when you travel to a country within the European Union,
Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Serbia and Switzerland as long as each trip is
for no more than 90 days. If you are travelling for more than 90 days or you are travelling to any other country and you
need the full cover shown on your schedule, you must inform us. An additional premium may be payable.
All trips must be of a temporary nature and your permanent home is in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands
or the Isle of Man.

Some advice from a more knowledgeable person would be helpful.

Am I correct in thinking I have 90 days in a year in the EU without contacting the insurer ?

So Wapping made me have a look at my policy.

This is an excerpt from Foreign use. It looks ok to me for 90 days.

Section 4 - Foreign Use

The policy will provide the minimum insurance needed by the relevant law to allow you to use your vehicle: In any
country which is a member of the EU; and In any other countries, which have made arrangements to meet the conditions
of, and are approved by, the commission of the European Union.
The full cover shown on your schedule will automatically apply when you travel to a country within the European Union,
Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Serbia and Switzerland as long as each trip is
for no more than 90 days. If you are travelling for more than 90 days or you are travelling to any other country and you
need the full cover shown on your schedule, you must inform us. An additional premium may be payable.
All trips must be of a temporary nature and your permanent home is in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands
or the Isle of Man.

Some advice from a more knowledgeable person would be helpful.

Am I correct in thinking I have 90 days in a year in the EU without contacting the insurer ?

Each trip must be no more than 90 days in the EU and other stated countries; other than those you'll need a green card (bit of paper actually).

Tbh that was the least of my concerns and didn't influence my vote at all.
I think we all have a grip and are dealing with it on a day to day basis, still doesn't make it a good choice though.
In particularly when dealing on a daily basis with business clients whose trade it has played havoc with, increased costs and charges whilst creating a significant amount of uncertainty for the future.

Stay in your windowless ivory tower and thank your lucky stars it's cost you lightly so far...............

Windowless ivory tower?? I voted in the original referendum to join the EEC married with two young kids I thought free trade would be good for all of us then we got signed up for the treaty of Europe without consultation.
So 48% of the population did not have a problem with subsidising moving the whole shooting match to Strasburg once a month just to keep the French happy also the economic basket cases i.e Greece and the ex Warsaw pact countries the EU is getting worried as their gravy train will be coming off the rails within the next ten years.
It would have been better with a larger majority in favour of leaving but vote to leave we did and the politicians and the govt at the time with Teresa May in the lead did every thing in their power to avoid the will of the people for four years with all you remoaners
The original concept free trade free movement for employment can still happen when Germany and France stop sulking and do something about that shower of unelected unaccountable spivs in Brussels.
Since 2016 the 52% who voted to leave have been roundly abused and insulted Little Englanders? There were a lot of little Scots, Welch, and Irish as well knuckle dragging ignorant, racists all in our windowless ivory towers well feck you, I am proud to say that i live in a civilised democratic country in the twenty first century along with the rest of you narrow minded shower of jumped up fecked up never come down twats who have got nothing better to do than whinge about your problems getting back to Europe.
BTW Wapping you can take your million curses and shove them up your arse.

but you will need to contact them for a Green Card as these are only valid for a specific period
https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/driving-abroad-in-europe

I have four bikes insured with Carol Nash and with the Insurance Documents emailed to me was a Green Card for the countries mentioned for each of my bikes - obviously not green.

I just received this today as I'm picking a new bike up tomorrow.

So it looks like Carol Nash is on the ball and automatically issuing Green Cards.

Thanks for your help.

Windowless ivory tower?? I voted in the original referendum to join the EEC married with two young kids I thought free trade would be good for all of us then we got signed up for the treaty of Europe without consultation.
So 48% of the population did not have a problem with subsidising moving the whole shooting match to Strasburg once a month just to keep the French happy also the economic basket cases i.e Greece and the ex Warsaw pact countries the EU is getting worried as their gravy train will be coming off the rails within the next ten years.
It would have been better with a larger majority in favour of leaving but vote to leave we did and the politicians and the govt at the time with Teresa May in the lead did every thing in their power to avoid the will of the people for four years with all you remoaners
The original concept free trade free movement for employment can still happen when Germany and France stop sulking and do something about that shower of unelected unaccountable spivs in Brussels.
Since 2016 the 52% who voted to leave have been roundly abused and insulted Little Englanders? There were a lot of little Scots, Welch, and Irish as well knuckle dragging ignorant, racists all in our windowless ivory towers well feck you, I am proud to say that i live in a civilised democratic country in the twenty first century along with the rest of you narrow minded shower of jumped up fecked up never come down twats who have got nothing better to do than whinge about your problems getting back to Europe.

There's just too much in there to correct ........

Interesting

Just renewed one of my insurance policies (no multi vehicle policies here) and it still covers me for GB the same as it did before brexit :nenau

The actual insurer is Generali, you’d have thought it would work the same both ways

Interesting

Just renewed one of my insurance policies (no multi vehicle policies here) and it still covers me for GB the same as it did before brexit :nenau

The actual insurer is Generali, you’d have thought it would work the same both ways

That will be the same as my new ERS policy covering me for the EU, just the other way around. I can only assume that the UK authorities will demand that French or Spanish visitor motorists to ‘fortress UK’ will demand that the drivers have Green Cards.

Quite who checks whether I have a Green Card when I roll off the Chunnel, I have no idea. Who checks whether Pierre le Sausage has his, when he lands at Dover, I have no idea either.

Thank you Wapping - I (wrongly) thought all was fine.

Just another downside of the stupidest decision ever taken - how anyone who rides a bike could vote for this is totally beyond me.

Still waiting to hear a benefit ...............waiting ............. oh - zero benefit.

Bugger all benefit, if anything it is the other way around as far as my business concerned.

Here are examples of two quotes for materials. Two months apart.

98b66172e4166cd723f26e0c335ba0b1.jpg

0dc65bd6c285fc1cc021ef60cb4cca4a.jpg

Plus a few things I’ve seen from fellow competitors.

d77a615edf1a698cac222fb0fee0108e.jpg

bfb5e93f4820a73f866f2518ed4933af.jpg

This is not to mention that trips to EU have involved more paperwork…

Dumbest idea ever.

Dude, you need one of these….

a061d86310928c82c8b036533eff25d1.jpg

And the benefits of this move were?
Meanwhile go and talk to the fisherman, the redundant and my clients who've been adversely affected.
Or is it a case of I'm alright Jack?
Will of the people? ffs it was a wafer thin majority that could have gone either way on any day

I renewed my bike insurance in March with Ageas Insurance Limited (Carole Nash) and they sent a green card (which is no longer green, it's white) within days of renewing the policy without me asking for it and it was free :nenau:nenau

Moot anyway since we can’t go anywhere on account of the deadly virus. Do I need a green card to visit the sweaty socks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moot anyway since we can’t go anywhere on account of the deadly virus. Do I need a green card to visit the sweaty socks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all is well we are back to crossing the Channel in ten days time. :thumb2

I just renewed one of my policies, a multi bike for an KTM 1190, heavily modified KTM 690 and KTM 350EXCF with Mackenzie Hodgson, £296. They sent the green card for all 3 bikes with the policy.

I renewed my bike insurance in March with Ageas Insurance Limited (Carole Nash) and they sent a green card (which is no longer green, it's white) within days of renewing the policy without me asking for it and it was free :nenau:nenau

I just renewed one of my policies, a multi bike for an KTM 1190, heavily modified KTM 690 and KTM 350EXCF with Mackenzie Hodgson, £296. They sent the green card for all 3 bikes with the policy.

What period / duration is shown on the Green Card you have received from Mackenzie Hodgson and Ageas Insurance Limited (Carole Nash) please? They used to be trip and country specific and / or be valid for a maximum of 90 days' duration.

What period / duration is shown on the Green Card you have received from Mackenzie Hodgson and Ageas Insurance Limited (Carole Nash) please? They used to be trip and country specific and / or be valid for a maximum of 90 days' duration.

The Green Card (which is now just printed on white paper) sent to me, is valid from 14-4-21 to 14-4-22 although the number of days for a journey is as specified in the insurance certificate and is valid when travelling within the EU or EEA, as well as Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

HTH.

Phil.

Thank you, Phil Magil.

In the lead up to Brexit, it struck me that it would be sensible for an insurer to issue what is in effect an open ended green card, restricted only by the trip duration shown in the certificate. I am not sure why ERS hasn’t done this, so I have asked them, pointing out that it is a more efficient and customer friendly method.

Even so, the important thing I guess, is that bods do need a valid green card, the certificate alone being insufficient.

PS The green cards have not been green for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom