Post Brexit - Green card

Status
Not open for further replies.
This made me check my camper policy and I find the Green Card is attached to the bottom of my policy and covers the whole 12 months of the policy. Thanks for the reminder though.

An update. I contacted ERS (former Hiscox) who confirmed that they will issue me with a ‘lifetime of the policy’ green card, at no charge. This is obviously more efficient for them and for me. A win-win, as they say.

That’s it. All set for European travel, just as soon as the shackles are off.

Just took out an Axa policy via Bemoto. They will issue a Green Card for free but the wording on the back of my certificate says:

The wording below is in place of an international Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) and only provides cover to the minimum extent required by
the law of these countries.
Driving Outside Of The United Kingdom
This certificate of motor insurance is evidence that this insurance meets the compulsory motor insurance requirements of all member countries of
the European Union and Andorra, Iceland, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland (including Liechtenstein).
Ce certificat d'assurance automobile est une preuve que cette assurance est conforme aux exigences de l'assurance automobile obligatoire de tous
les pays membres de l'Union européenne et l'Andorre, l'Islande, la Norvège, la Serbie et la Suisse (y compris le Liechtenstein).
Dieses Zertifikat der Kfz-Versicherung ist ein Beweis, dass diese Versicherung die Kfz Haftpflichtversicherungs anforderungen von allen
Mitgliedsländern der Europäischen Union und Andorra, Island, Norwegen, Serbien und der Schweiz (einschließlich Liechtenstein) erfüllt.
Este certificado de seguro de automóviles es evidencia de que este seguro cumpla conl os requisitos de seguro obligatorio de automóviles de todos
los países miembros de la Unión Europea y Andorra, Islandia, Noruega, Serbia y Suiza (incluido Liechtenstein).
Questo certificato di assicurazione auto è la prova che questa assicurazione soddisfa i requisiti di assicurazione obbligatoria degli autoveicoli di tutti
i paesi membri dell'Unione europea e Andorra, Islanda, Norvegia, Serbia e Svizzera (compreso il Liechtenstein).

I was told I need to give them the dates I am going abroad, just like the olden days, to activate cover above the minimum level

What period / duration is shown on the Green Card you have received from Mackenzie Hodgson and Ageas Insurance Limited (Carole Nash) please? They used to be trip and country specific and / or be valid for a maximum of 90 days' duration.

As it's a multi bike, I have 3 pieces of paper, one for each bike, called an International Motor Insurance Card, written in English and also in foreign. It's valid for the full 1 year period of the insurance, 21/05/21-21/05/22.

It has Country Code and GB Insurers number, then the usual grid with country codes on, with some crossed out, so I'm covered across the EU plus Serbia, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, etc.
No mention is made of a 90 day limit.

Oddly the Certificate(s) of Insurance also contain wording to the effect:
"This Certificate takes the place of an International Green Card for the EU plus Norway, Andorra, Iceland etc." It then says the same in a number of different sorts of foreign.

Just took out an Axa policy via Bemoto. They will issue a Green Card for free but the wording on the back of my certificate says:

I was told I need to give them the dates I am going abroad, just like the olden days, to activate cover above the minimum level

It sounds like BeMoto are planning on dealing with it the same way that ERS were, with separate ‘Green cards’ for each vehicle for each specific crossing. We have been told on these pages that this is not an inconvenience and a price worth paying to stop Albanians stealing things from the Pound Sop in Grimsby. That the opinion also came from bods who do not have the slightest intention of ever driving abroad in or on their own vehicle, devalued it considerably.

The limitation of meeting only the minimum standards was not uncommon under a lot of Motor policies in the UK, prior to and post Brexit. That was / is sufficient to meet the letter of the law in say, France, Italy, Sweden or Switzerland, ie. meeting their equivalent of the local Road Traffic Act, that we have in the UK. What the policies sometimes didn’t do automatically was extend to provide the ‘Fully comprehensive’ cover the rider enjoyed in the UK. That wouldn’t bother the local constabulary that much.

What I think we are seeing is a glitch, where modern UK motor policies still extend liability cover into the EU and other specific countries (the old ones, prior the the very useful Freedom of Services provision, didn’t) being married to the old fashioned green card, which confirmed / provided the cover in the past. In short, an unhappy, fudged together solution.

To be honest, I think that it would take a very earnest local Portuguese copper to give anyone a tug for not having a ‘green card’ (which isn’t green any more) when their UK insurance extended to include the minimum cover required under local law. The same would be the case for a Portuguese driver pulled over by a copper in Grimsby. How many Grimsby coppers can read Portuguese or know what a Portuguese green card even looks like? Anders on a small postcard to the usual address.

It might be interesting to hear what action is being taken by say, French or Spanish insurers, for UKGSer members living in France or Spain. What happens if they wish to hoon to Grimsby.... as unlikely as that might ever be.

As it's a multi bike, I have 3 pieces of paper, one for each bike, called an International Motor Insurance Card, written in English and also in foreign. It's valid for the full 1 year period of the insurance, 21/05/21-21/05/22.

It has Country Code and GB Insurers number, then the usual grid with country codes on, with some crossed out, so I'm covered across the EU plus Serbia, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, etc.
No mention is made of a 90 day limit.

Oddly the Certificate(s) of Insurance also contain wording to the effect:
"This Certificate takes the place of an International Green Card for the EU plus Norway, Andorra, Iceland etc." It then says the same in a number of different sorts of foreign.

Thank you. That is what I have asked ERS to give me. Open ended documents, one for each vehicle insured under the policy.

I guess the 90 day limitation - if indeed there is one - might well have more to do with international law as regards non-EU vehicles driving around for longer than 90 days within an EU country, after which they might require an official import licence? But now I am just guessing. But hey, 90 days is three months, which is more than adequate for most bods’ holidays off work.

So Wapping made me have a look at my policy.

This is an excerpt from Foreign use. It looks ok to me for 90 days.

Section 4 - Foreign Use

The policy will provide the minimum insurance needed by the relevant law to allow you to use your vehicle: In any
country which is a member of the EU; and In any other countries, which have made arrangements to meet the conditions
of, and are approved by, the commission of the European Union.
The full cover shown on your schedule will automatically apply when you travel to a country within the European Union,
Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Serbia and Switzerland as long as each trip is
for no more than 90 days. If you are travelling for more than 90 days or you are travelling to any other country and you
need the full cover shown on your schedule, you must inform us. An additional premium may be payable.
All trips must be of a temporary nature and your permanent home is in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands
or the Isle of Man.

Some advice from a more knowledgeable person would be helpful.

Am I correct in thinking I have 90 days in a year in the EU without contacting the insurer ?

I'am fairly sure you have to inform your insurers regardless of green cards or anything else; just standard arse covering stuff; an e mail would do;;
It's something i have always done everytime i've been abroad on the bike.

If it says in your policy that you have to inform your insurer about foreign use, then you have to. So do it.

If it doesn’t, then you don’t have to. So don’t, unless you feel you must.

It is that simple.

My, recently renewed, multi-vehicle policy’s certificate of insurance, confirms that the coverage extends to the EU and certain specific non-EU countries, for example Norway and Switzerland. So far, so good.

Taken at face value, this might be interpreted that, as the policy extends into the EU automatically, no Green Card is required. This is NOT the case. A Green Card will be required for each journey I make and will continue to be the case until some sensible alternative cross-border solution is negotiated. Negotiation is not free nor quick.

I mention this only in case somebody misunderstands the position. In other words, the requirement of a Green Card, trumps the certificate. It is as simple as that.

My million curses on the cnuts that voted to leave the EU. FU little Englander.

I totally endorse your last sentence. Bunch of **@#!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technically speaking it wasn't just Little Englanders but included the other three countries selection too, unfortunately.

You are right, but mostly driven by Little Englanders.

Yes I've had green cards too - Balkans, Turkey, Morocco etc.

But we are now back to the loss of freedoms with fixed periods and itineraries.

Maybe it's just me but I am unable to see the slightest benefit to make up for this loss.

I accept it may not be on some peeps radar but the loss of freedoms is a big thing to me.

Just saying ......... and whinging. :D:D

Yes, you and I used to be citizens of the EU and therefore 28 countries. Some people thought it was a good idea to take that away and all the rights that go with it.

There's just too much in there to correct ........

Absolutely, but there is one point worth correcting. That point about free trade. It was the Uk government (the May government as it happens) that chose not to be part of the single market and/or customs union. Nothing to do with sulking French and Germans.

You are right, but mostly driven by Little Englanders.

Because team remain couldn’t articulate a decent believable argument. The brexit team did and won.

I'am fairly sure you have to inform your insurers regardless of green cards or anything else; just standard arse covering stuff; an e mail would do;;
It's something i have always done everytime i've been abroad on the bike.
That was never necessary. Your UK insurance was always valid for legal purposes in all countries of the EU.

Fortunately that's not the case anymore and we now have the sovereign obligation to ask our insurers for permission.

Funny how remain arguments have become more credible whilst the leave dreams have crumbled into dust....

And yet the so called informed, didn’t have the ability to convince the so called thick voters.

Maybe not that clever, or not that good of a point to argue?

And yet the so called informed, didn’t have the ability to convince the so called thick voters.

Maybe not that clever, or not that good of a point to argue?

Yeah it's all going so well and according to plan.
Not everyone labelled them thick.

Funny how remain arguments have become more credible whilst the leave dreams have crumbled into dust....

I have been really fortunate.

I’ve managed to survive the collapse of Sterling that George Osbourne threatened would happen at least three times
1) the day after the vote,
2)the day that we left
3)the day that the transition period ended.

And thank feck that we just about managed to struggle through those dreadful food shortages.

Yep, bleeding ignorant easily led bastids who voted out.

Perhaps we can try to rejoin again one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom