Engine Protection Bars

Notxal

Reaction score
Be gentle, first post!

Have a 1250 GS on order and have specified the BMW lower engine protection bars (part of a deal). I see the value of them as protecting the cylinder heads if the the worse happens and the bike falls over when stationary or at very low speeds.

Questions

1. With no luggage or luggage racks on the bike what other areas or parts of the bike are likely to be damaged and need protecting if the worse happens and it goes over?

2. Are the upper front Protection Bars if fitted actually protecting anything as from what I can see the bike doesn't really go 'flat' on the floor.

I think in terms of what might leave me stranded, for example a clutch/brake lever. The standard hand guards are just plastic, so I’ve fitted Barkbusters which are very strong.

I’ve got Outback Motortek crash bars, they come as an upper and lower set. I haven’t fitted them yet, but I’m tempted to leave off the upper bars for the reason you mention, and I’m trying not to clutter up the bike with too much stuff.

Makes me laugh when I see adverts for plastic protectors for your crash bars - protection for your protection! I expect someone sells a skid plate for the plastic protectors that protect your crash bars

Back
Top Bottom