Alternative screens for a Hex GSA.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a R1200GS Adventure, 2007.
Seat in the high position.
I'm 6'3".
Screen usually in the lowest position (best compromise).

The wind noise is insane. Always been. Makes my tinnitus worse after riding and it is actually painful (pressure) with earplugs in.

In recent years I used the Wunderlich flap, but it makes the front of the bike vibrate cyclically and, especially on longer rides, makes my head in. Stopped using it.
The annoying fact is that the wind noise is extremely strong at 40mph already.
Last week I had to go through the M4, all at 50mph, and it was like riding my other bike at 120mph.

I took the screen off a few times for offroading and it is "refreshing", not only because of the breeze. :D
Sometimes is better to be fully exposed to the airflow than to sit "in the middle".

I hate aftermarket parts, but coming to conclusion that it might be time for a new screen.
Given it is a fairly old model, I hope other people in here tested some?

I know and like the WRS products.
I like the current look (original) of my bike and I'm not inclined to modify the bikes aesthetically too much. I see WRS has a "Touring" screen that is essentially the same size/similar shape to the original one. I inquired and they said that the actual shape of the screen (the profile) is a bit different and it helps with turbulence.
Otherwise the "Caponord" but it is massive.

Has anyone ever tried either before?

I have a tiny wee screen on my twin cam and it really reduces the wind noise and buffeting.
I have found that a peaked lid helps when I have my standard screen on.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks both.

Re: Givi. I’d rather go deaf than have that monstrosity on my bike :)

Scot: I’ll try to ride it with my Bell MX Helmet. I did use it extensively with that helmet, but the screen was off.

Sometimes bigger is not the way to go. What you need to achieve is to clean up the airflow coming off the screen at it’s edges.

After much experimenting, for both my R1150GS and my R1200GS Adventure I have fitted the Xscreen which I have adjusted to squeeze the airflow coming off of the top of the screen, which reduces buffetting and noise. It works for me, and I’m 6’ 2” and the setup does not impede forward vision as the adjusters are out of the line of sight, unlike the Wunderlich and touratech flip screens.

Attachments

• 06EB9B99-9366-4476-8DB7-6484167D3ED6.jpg
    06EB9B99-9366-4476-8DB7-6484167D3ED6.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 300
Ye, I’d be more inclined to go smaller.

Funnily enough the WRS Touring screen, the one that is similar to the GSA original screen, has the same exact height, but it is narrower than the original at the top by a few cm.

Thanks both.

Re: Givi. I’d rather go deaf than have that monstrosity on my bike :)

Then go deaf, :D then you wont have to worry any more.

Or get a sportsbike, that way you can crouch behind a fairing and stay out of the wind...

On a more serious note, is vanity worth more than your hearing?

Or get a sportsbike, that way you can crouch behind a fairing and stay out of the wind...

I do have one.

On a more serious note, is vanity worth more than your hearing?

ahah: no.
But I've seen split screens and other solutions that are quite ugly and, to be fair, I'd rather change bike at that point. So, yes, aesthetic are also considered in the equation ;)

Sometimes bigger is not the way to go. What you need to achieve is to clean up the airflow coming off the screen at it’s edges.

After much experimenting, for both my R1150GS and my R1200GS Adventure I have fitted the Xscreen which I have adjusted to squeeze the airflow coming off of the top of the screen, which reduces buffetting and noise. It works for me, and I’m 6’ 2” and the setup does not impede forward vision as the adjusters are out of the line of sight, unlike the Wunderlich and touratech flip screens.

I’ve got same Xscreen on an airstream screen.
Works brilliant. Mid height setting. Ride visor up all day 80 plus miles hour, occassional earplugs if long ride. . Shoei jcruise.
Bloody brilliant and IMO looks OK.
Agree givi is FUGLY.
No offence intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks – will start testing how much a different helmet improves the situation before settling on this or that screen.
I guess it will be a combination of the two.

Thanks – will start testing how much a different helmet improves the situation before settling on this or that screen.
I guess it will be a combination of the two.

I too have suffered the horrendous wind noise but, in have just invested in an Airho Commander lid. OMFG!!! The noise reduction has been incredible. On Thursday I took it for a spin along the A38 between Plymouth Marsh Mills and the Tamar Bridge. I floated 'around' 70 all the way and was actually laughing inside my lid at just how quiet it was. I would certainly recommend this lid. The below is the that one I have. I should also point out that the field of view is immense too. Good luck whatever you choose.

https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/200041350/airoh-commander-color-blue.html

Serious question. Do you not wear good fitting earplugs.
I do because of my tinnitus. Wind noise isn't a problem for me as such when wearing them. I can also hear my sat nav better wearing the ear plugs. It doesn't sound like it should be like that but it is.
I have puig screen extension on mine which breaks up the airflow enough for me that I get no buffeting really at good speeds. This is with my GSA screen almost upright.
Btw I'm 6'4" and can put my visor up at 80 mph with no wind in my face.I Rarely need to clean my visor as it's rare that a fly will even hit it.

Do you not wear good fitting earplugs.

Serious answer:
I do wear the yellow foam ones. I tend to make them "stick" properly in the ear canal.
Funnily enough I started wearing earplugs after some time I bought the GS, for the wind noise. Never considered it an issue before on other bikes.

I have "better" earplugs (I play drums) but those are made of harder plastic, and don't want anything "hard" in my ears when on a motorbike, in case of accident.
I don't use any audio devices. I use the sat-nav like a paper map, look down when I need to, ignore otherwise.

I found that, for me, the "less worst" position is the screen fully down. Being exposed more to the wind flow is actually better. The noise generally happens because of the airflow "breaking" just on your forehead.
Testament to this is: I sometimes ride my GS with no screen/deflectors at all if I go greenlaning. And in those cases I can actually hear my bike while traveling with it. Generally, with the screen on, from 40mph all I hear is wind noise. It covers the engine and anything else. I honestly wouldn't mind it much when going at speed down a motoway, but having it constantly even at low speeds when you are puttering around is becoming a pain.
I know it is an issue for taller riders on that model.

The lack of wind on the visor can sometimes be a pain in the rain, as you cannot go faster to clean water off the visor.
Also, when riding in the rain, water droplets go up on the visor instead of going down, because of the weird airflow.

Going back to the earplugs: on longer distances I started noticing pressure in the ear when wearing the plugs.

Perfect combo

GSA TC, 6’2” seat low setting with Screeb on mid setting plus MRA screen. Buffet and noise free. 80mph visor up. Bliss! Not as good as an AF330 but near enough. 61103B9F-0023-412F-A794-9F322E208E4A.jpg

Definitely a GIVI AF330, ugly as sin, effective as can be. I can’t be doing with prat arsing about with ear plugs and have never needed to with this. Visor up and almost any speed, no buffeting. Having had three different 1200GS’s since 2006 I’ve tried a few screens and stuck with this since fitting it around 2012. I fitted winglets a few years ago thinking it maybe better still but removed them again.

the screens BM use in most of their range have always been atrocious, I always use ear plugs and threw the BM junk in a skip very quickly after getting the bike, but still this bike has trashed my hearing permanently…. there ought to be both a class action lawsuit against deliberate damage to bikers hearing, and an outright ban on the sales of BMW Motorrad bikes

I use a ZTechnik screen its about 1000% better then the stock GS screen, and 800% better than the joke improvement you don't really get with an adventure screen. Sadly the UK distributor seems to have given up http://www.nationalcycle.com/about-us-ztechnik

The solution on an LC is to stand on the pegs !!! where suddenly its total silence even at 90 mph
The solution for the old air cooled bikes is to throw the screen in a skip and run with nothing at all, then its silent and turbulence free

the trouble is neither is particularly practical and u look a total idiot doing it... but your hearing will thank you for the rest of your life !!!

check vs the std joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpOW-xssW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyeacW7xOiY

I have a R1200GS Adventure, 2007.
Seat in the high position.
I'm 6'3".
Screen usually in the lowest position (best compromise).

The wind noise is insane. Always been. Makes my tinnitus worse after riding and it is actually painful (pressure) with earplugs in.

In recent years I used the Wunderlich flap, but it makes the front of the bike vibrate cyclically and, especially on longer rides, makes my head in. Stopped using it.
The annoying fact is that the wind noise is extremely strong at 40mph already.
Last week I had to go through the M4, all at 50mph, and it was like riding my other bike at 120mph.

I took the screen off a few times for offroading and it is "refreshing", not only because of the breeze. :D
Sometimes is better to be fully exposed to the airflow than to sit "in the middle".

I hate aftermarket parts, but coming to conclusion that it might be time for a new screen.
Given it is a fairly old model, I hope other people in here tested some?

I know and like the WRS products.
I like the current look (original) of my bike and I'm not inclined to modify the bikes aesthetically too much. I see WRS has a "Touring" screen that is essentially the same size/similar shape to the original one. I inquired and they said that the actual shape of the screen (the profile) is a bit different and it helps with turbulence.
Otherwise the "Caponord" but it is massive.

Has anyone ever tried either before?

A long time ago I removed the screen altogether, went for a ride, and was amazed. Consider a Wunderlich Flowjet (my preferred choice for tidying up the front end) or Machineartmoto Slipscreen, or, do what I've done for the last 12 years and ride your GSA's without a screen and get over how weird it looks, it transformed my riding experience, no buffeting, no headache, nada, nothing, fuck-all...done.

Banging down a motorway took a couple of weeks to get properly used too, I found I was fighting my grip on the bars instead of relaxing and enjoying less weight on the wrists.

I love riding it without the screen to be honest.
But I need a little bit of protection.

Got a bit stuck with something else at the moment, but will order a new screen soon. Ideally I’d like to try a couple, so I have to really read the return policies of most vendors :D

Back
Top Bottom