1150GSA / Africa Twin 1000

dredgetall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If it’s not scary enough commuting to London every day on my 1150 GSA you don’t expect a BT Open Reach van to reverse into you because his forward path is blocked, so the bikes with the insurance company and as a result they have given me an standard 1000 Africa Twin ... and here is the question... why are they so shit I find it impossible to ride the bike slowly without out feeling that it’s only got one spark plug, it’s so rough, on the motorway at speed it’s ok. Has anyone got experience with bike because I hate it.
Honda have started to copy BMW my loaner is a 2019 with 2200 miles and now comes with corrosion

I too think they're perfect....I've never ridden one either.

I rode one last week, pretty awesome bike TBH. On my shortlist of two (other being a GS1200).

I've tried a DCT and non-DCT in the past and found them both a bit rough especially in the lower rev range, I had an ancient deauville (700) that ran better low down, I'd take that over the AT all day for general road riding.

Tbf I prefer the gearing on the 1150 over my 1200 tu, that 1st is great and the overdrive 6th is perfect for motorway munching. The AT I tried had decent torque but wasn't as good as they look.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The Africa has been collected by the insurance company’s bike providers and they have confirmed that there is a fuelling issue, I now have a CBF1000 small but smooth

My Africa twin was a little lurchy when new, could just about be rode smoothly when filtering with a steady hand but seemed fairly typical of modern fuel injection. After a few thousand miles and a service (not sure if they flashed an updated map or something) it's now much much better. Almost anything modern though will be running intentionally on the lean side compared to something of your 1150's vintage, and will feel slightly coarse as a result.

Repair underway

The insurers for BT have agreed to pay to fix my GSA they have managed to source all the parts from BMW including the blue anodised fork, so the GSA should soon be home (it’s costing almost £4000 WOW !!!!

The insurers for BT have agreed to pay to fix my GSA they have managed to source all the parts from BMW including the blue anodised fork, so the GSA should soon be home (it’s costing almost £4000 WOW !!!!

Well done for getting that done. I'd have been assuming a write off. Excellent news. :thumby:

I have an early AT 1000 and its fine, runs smoothly across the rev range at any speed (in the right gear), just runs out of puff above 125 mph.

Honda NX750X

Once again they have changed my loan bike and I am currently using a Honda NC750X which is a very lean machine, I ride from Reigate to Sheen each day and the last two tank fills have averaged 89.50 MPG

Back
Top Bottom